is it bad coils, or is it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundsystem00

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Dallas
IMHO, if you really want top notch quality coils that just work 100%, then you really need to learn to build your own. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get it down, you will know your coils will always work, correctly.

What are some good and cheap rda's that you could recommend.?
I had the same issues with commercial coil heads... inconsistencies and tons of money I've wasted on them, not to mention all the frustration that came along with it.

Within a month of disappointments I switched to building my own and I've never looked back. The main thing is, get yourself a proper RDA or RDTA that will satisfy you. I started with £15 clone which was terrible... thought about how much money I was still wanting to waste or instead just shell out a bit extra for something that most people LOVED. It became a £60 Goon v1 RDA and 1.5 years later I am still using it on a daily basis. Although I might have found my replacement now...

Recently I've had to review the new Wotofo Recurve, it's only $28 RDA but it blew my mind. A single coil RDA with the flavor and performance of a dual coil. It's easiest to squonk with this RDA but you can definitely use it as a dripper. I would highly recommend it to anyone. It's extremely easy to build on and a very good vaping experience.

Besides the included tools, all you need is some wire (or you can buy ready made coils pretty cheap), a (squonk) mod and some wire clippers. If you've rebuilt this RDA a couple times, it can be done 3-5 minutes.
There's already a bit of cotton and 3 coils included in the kit. A pack of Puffs (or other organic cotton) is very cheap, wire and even premade coils can be bought at a fraction of the price of commercial coil heads and I can guarantee that the flavor will blow you away, each and every time.

Stop wasting money, start enjoying your juices and get yourself a proper RDA ;) The rebuilding part isn't as bad as you imagine, unless you have really severe arthritis in your fingers.

That must be a badass RDA because nobody has one! What is another one that is just as good and can be used with or without a squank? I am on a super tight budget right now and can only afford to get a coil, but when I can, I want to get an RDA asap. I have gotten them before and always give up. When it comes to vaping, I am lazy and want something simple. I hate getting my hands juicy and ..... But ya know what, I am also really tired of spending a lot of money on premium juice just to get muted flavor. That is so frustrating, ive wanted to scream sometimes.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
What are some good and cheap RDA's that you could recommend.?

That must be a badass RDA because nobody has one! What is another one that is just as good and can be used with or without a squank? I am on a super tight budget right now and can only afford to get a coil, but when I can, I want to get an RDA asap. I have gotten them before and always give up. When it comes to vaping, I am lazy and want something simple. I hate getting my hands juicy and ..... But ya know what, I am also really tired of spending a lot of money on premium juice just to get muted flavor. That is so frustrating, ive wanted to scream sometimes.

There are a lot of RDA's out there, and quite a few for a little extra $$ at purchase can be converted to Bottom Feeding (Squonking) or come with the extra pin itself. I've recently purchased a Vandy Vape Mesh RDA, single coil, takes some getting used to wicking it tightly, but oh what a vape at 75watts set to 460F in TC mode on a DNA166 mod using SS316L mesh ^_^. It's now an older RDA, but I still use my Velocity and Doge V2 which are even far older. Want clouding, get a larger chambered RDA with lots of airflow, want straight flavor get an RDA with small chamber and restrictive airflow, want a balance of flavor and clouds look at a mid-sized chamber with just decent airflow.

RDA's are flexible, and you can tune them to any vaping style you like really, simple as heck easy to build on RDA as a first RDA purchase I'd look at an authentic or even clone of Goon mentioned before, one of the easiest coil mounting setups on the market, 4 screws to tighten down on 2 flat bars to trap your coil legs like in a vice, the Mesh RDA uses the same principle only it is postless with 2 coil mounting slots and you don't need to use mesh as the coil, you can use standard round wire even and make it a single, dual, triple, or even quad coil if you have the room.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

If you want to drip, check Fasttech for a Hadaly or Entheon clone (around $10 each or less). Both are good single coil for flavor and easy to build on. If you want a tank instead of dripping, I really like the Serpent SMM. If you prefer a tight MTL draw on a tank then the Innokin Ares is good. As in most things taste is subjective but these are good for me. I have not used any mesh tanks either, but there are some mesh RBAs out there.

Suomynona

May 10, 2018

The Wotofo Recurve is available and there are a few people that have it already, just check the hardware forum where you'll see some people commenting on it. It is however a bit over budget if you only have the money for some coils...
If you just want to start off cheap, perhaps get a Goon RDA clone from fasttech. They're cheap and they're good.

Don't forget though that you'll need some other stuff as well when you buy an RDA.
You can get Japanese cotton (Muji, Koh Gen Doh or even just regular Puffs), they're all relatively cheap, easy to work with and you'll have enough in any package to get you going for a long time.
I started off with a pack of Cotton Bacon v2, which is even easier to work with but you'll pay a premium for the brand name. There's a new version, Cotton Bacon Prime, so you might be able to pick up CBv2 at a greatly reduced price.
Rayon/Viscose is also another wicking material, very cheap, not as readily available (depending on where you are) and I'm hearing some mixed reviews about it. I would recommend it to try but not to start with.
You'll also need some basic tools to build. Some coil rigs (or 2.5mm, 3mm screwdrivers) to wrap your coils, in case you're going to make your own coils. A wire cutter (I've seen people use toe nail clippers too, could work to start with). Ceramic tweezers are handy, but no must. An ohm meter is handy, but no must (your regulated mod can be used to start with). Most RDAs come with tools to build (philips/flat/hex screwdrivers) to tighten the coil in your RDA. They're good to start with but they're usually not the best quality.
A good pair of scissors to cut the wick to size is also recommended. It just needs to be sharp so you're not going to pull and tear your wick once it's placed. If you have a hair cutters or something, that'll be perfect.

I got a Coil Master v3 set because it has everything I needed (and it's a return on investment purchase), but again, it'll cost you an extra $30-$40 and you could use whatever tools you already have.

Cheap RDAs that are awesome:
FastTech - Gadgets and Electronics
Please do check the comments/reviews that people leave so see what would suit you best and you can always refine your search.

When you do buy a clone, be aware that the o-rings are generally speaking of a lesser quality. You may want to buy a $5 spare pack of proper o-rings of varying sizes.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
When you do buy a clone, be aware that the o-rings are generally speaking of a lesser quality. You may want to buy a $5 spare pack of proper o-rings of varying sizes.

Chinese rubber does suck! I rub a little Vaseline on the o-rings of my Goon clones. Seems to keep the rubber in better shape and the tops slide on/off easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread