Is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zztommis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2009
WV
I've had the Vapor King for 5 days now, and as everyone says, AWESOME!! The only thing is, I don't like the passthrough. The first night I got the kit, i used it while the batteries were charging, and it works well - huge vapor, great taste, smooth draw - but I woke up the next morning with a wicked sore throat. I just figured it was something I'd have to get used to. I didn't use it again until last night, and again this morning, the sore throat. Maybe the higher voltage, maybe it burns a little hotter, I don't know? I use the same carts on the passthrough as I do on the batteries, and no problems with the batts. I guess I'll just have to get a couple more batteries. Anyone else experience this?

Tom

P.S. I just wanted to reiterate that there is no problem with the passthrough itself, it works great. It's not for me, though.

PhoenixRising

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2009
Concord, NC USA
I prefer my passthrough because it does vape better and get hotter, but I can definitely see it having that effect on some folks because it is a bit harsher. Out of curiosity, is the VK your first e-cig? Only asking because when folks first get started with any e-cig, dry mouth and throat are common. The cure for this is time (my body seems to have adapted to it) and drinking a ton of fluids when you vape. If it isn't your first e-cig and you are just not enamored with the passthrough, I know you are not alone in that. My husband also prefers the battery.

HaploVoss

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Rogersville, MO - USA
It is possible that the higher voltage is creating a hotter vapor and you are suffering some irritation from sensitivity to it - I have this exact same problem. My cure - when using the passthrough I draw, then hold the vapor in my mouth for a few seconds letting it cool a bit, then inhale. Unlike regular smoke - this does not seem to decrease the amount of vapor or throat hit... for me anyway.

Take care,
- Hap

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
It is possible that the higher voltage is creating a hotter vapor and you are suffering some irritation from sensitivity to it - I have this exact same problem. My cure - when using the passthrough I draw, then hold the vapor in my mouth for a few seconds letting it cool a bit, then inhale. Unlike regular smoke - this does not seem to decrease the amount of vapor or throat hit... for me anyway.

Take care,
- Hap

Funny how people smoke differently isn't it? I always give quick primer puff, then slowly draw and hold the vapor in my mouth a few secs before inhaling. I did that on analogs too. I thought everyone did that lol. Last night Anita and Lynn were just drawing it straight in, I never noticed that I did it differently then other people.

One thing I have noticed from the passthrough is that it does burn through the carts A LOT quicker. And towards the end can get a bit of a burning taste to it. The minute you start getting that mild burning taste you need to change the cart. (Some just add more fluid, but I am saving my carts and will refill once a week). Passthroughs are great, but yeah, they do hog the juice. Not nearly as bad as the 510, but still...

PhoenixRising

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2009
Concord, NC USA
Funny how people smoke differently isn't it? I always give quick primer puff, then slowly draw and hold the vapor in my mouth a few secs before inhaling. I did that on analogs too. I thought everyone did that lol. Last night Anita and Lynn were just drawing it straight in, I never noticed that I did it differently then other people.

One thing I have noticed from the passthrough is that it does burn through the carts A LOT quicker. And towards the end can get a bit of a burning taste to it. The minute you start getting that mild burning taste you need to change the cart. (Some just add more fluid, but I am saving my carts and will refill once a week). Passthroughs are great, but yeah, they do hog the juice. Not nearly as bad as the 510, but still...

Great points Jen! I am a direct inhaler most of the time myself.

I have also noticed the juice hogging on the pt. I have tons of carts so I just put a new one on and keep moving. Though some days I refill the one I am puffing on when it dies too.

Typically the difference for me is if I want to use an alternate juice source. For instance I have some banana nobacco juice that I am really enjoying and no banana carts. When I am vaping that, I just refill.

I think your point about the juice hogging is why my husband prefers the batteries. He is just not into refilling and does not pay attention to his carts running dry as much as he should. Using the batteries keeps the flavor consistent longer.

zztommis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2009
WV
Out of curiosity, is the VK your first e-cig?

Technically, no. But my first was the Smoke Assassin (Smoking Anywhere), which doesn't really even qualify. I fell for the rhetoric on their advertisements, because I wanted to quit the analogs. Oh well, at least I found this forum and the King!

More to the point, though, I do get a little of the dryness with the batteries, but no where near like with the passthrough.

Hap and Jen,
I'll try holding the vapor a bit, to see if that helps.

Thanks,
Tom

Panda04

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
Houston
Technically, no. But my first was the Smoke Assassin (Smoking Anywhere), which doesn't really even qualify. I fell for the rhetoric on their advertisements, because I wanted to quit the analogs. Oh well, at least I found this forum and the King!

More to the point, though, I do get a little of the dryness with the batteries, but no where near like with the passthrough.

Hap and Jen,
I'll try holding the vapor a bit, to see if that helps.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

You may not be getting enough fluids. Try keeping a glass of water handy. That helps me.

Andy

CDC700

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
Central Texas
FWIW< I had the sore throat going on for 3-4 days(I started last Sunday) And after day 3 it just seemed to disappear! However, my lungs have started "cleaning" themselves and that's pretty ugly, but a good thing nonetheless! I went out and bought a road bike this week and plan to start riding 20-30 miles every morning...

Wormwood

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
Plumdiggity
Good point mentioning that Jen, I just tried direct lung inhaling on my passthrough, whew, that brought me back to the old smoker days, kinda reminded me of the harshness of kamel reds, eyes slightly watered haha.
-So tom, just in case you havent tried the different ways puffing on your personal vaporizer, try this, try puffing on it like a cigar, like jen said just fill your mouth with vapor wait a sec or 2 and then inhale that, not sure if you knew but you also absorb nicotine in through your mouth/gums so your not losing any nicotine.
- and Tom keep in mind your body is going to be changing a lot when you stopped smoking cigs, i heard some people on this forum claim its from your body healing from cigs and reintroducing something that might possibly be as harsh as a cig may trigger an irritated throat. You might want to also consider that maybe you may have slight allergy to pg in the juice, so getting a warmer thicker draw of the propyl glycol(PG) from the passthrough may be irritating til your body adapts or you could try refilling with vegetable glycerin(VG) juice or try ecopure alternatives to pg

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......
Yea when using the passthrough I recommend lowering your mg level because you are using higher voltage. so if you use 18mg go down to 11mg or 8mg...if will feel the same as far as nicotine. I know some people who have gone to the lowest level because the throat hit was just to much. But only do this if you feel its to much. The passthrough is great for at home NO batteries to use. Plus you can use that time to make sure all your batteries are charged up for the next day. So if you find its to rough on your throat just lower your mg level down a couple of notches. Dont worry the the taste is there. I started with 18mg and I now use 6mg. There is no change in taste so dont worry about that.

zztommis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2009
WV
grimmer
Yea when using the passthrough I recommend lowering your mg level

Tried this, and I still get the sore throat, and also a kind of an aluminum foil feeling on my back teeth (went from 16mg to 11mg -- lowest I have). Both carts are V4L Mboro, so it's weird that the 11mg causes that aluminum foil thing. It doesn't on a battery.

wormwood
like jen said just fill your mouth with vapor wait a sec or 2 and then inhale that

I keep trying this, but it's just so unnatural (I never smoked like this) that I keep forgetting, and just inhale like usual, so I don't really know if this will work yet.

wormwood
You might want to also consider that maybe you may have slight allergy to pg in the juice, so getting a warmer thicker draw of the propyl glycol(PG) from the passthrough may be irritating til your body adapts or you could try refilling with vegetable glycerin(VG) juice or try ecopure alternatives to pg

I ordered some VG, so hopefully this will help!

Panda
You may not be getting enough fluids. Try keeping a glass of water handy.

I drink iced tea (like 1/2 gallon a day!), but I tried water, too.

Anyway, thank all of you for the suggestions. I guess I'll just stick the PT in a drawer for emergency use. I guess the batteries will have to do it for me!! (And I gotta say, they really do it nicely!)

Thanks again,
Tom

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
I am finding I prefer the batteries also, but wonder if this will change when I get my manual passthrough? It is convenient and I doubt I would totally put it away, but I find myself vaping a few draws off the pt and then a few draws off the regular batter. That seems to keep the pt from getting too hot.

God I love my VK! :D

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......
grimmer

Tried this, and I still get the sore throat, and also a kind of an aluminum foil feeling on my back teeth (went from 16mg to 11mg -- lowest I have). Both carts are V4L Mboro, so it's weird that the 11mg causes that aluminum foil thing. It doesn't on a battery.

wormwood

I keep trying this, but it's just so unnatural (I never smoked like this) that I keep forgetting, and just inhale like usual, so I don't really know if this will work yet.

wormwood

I ordered some VG, so hopefully this will help!

Panda

I drink iced tea (like 1/2 gallon a day!), but I tried water, too.

Anyway, thank all of you for the suggestions. I guess I'll just stick the PT in a drawer for emergency use. I guess the batteries will have to do it for me!! (And I gotta say, they really do it nicely!)

Thanks again,
Tom
So it sounds like to me you are taking very quick puffs hich allowing your cartomizer to get hot...

I recommend going down to 8mg or 6mg when you use the passthrough...remember it is higher voltage so take 3 puffs with at least a 10 sec difference in between puffs. let it rest for a min ( cool down cartomizers) then take 3 more. Allow cool time and that goes for all atomizers. constant puffing will get them hot which will waist more liquid.

Remember when you took quick puffs on a cigarette (hot boxing) and the cigarette burned a lot quicker which burned more cigarette than you took puffs. One cigarette should last 10 mins ( you would get 12-15 puffs that way) This goes with vaping. Slow down and you will notice a huge difference in the quality of the cartomizers plus it will last longer.

This has worked well for me in the last 5 months of vaping. Remember these are not cigarettes. These cartomizers are way better. So slow down and you will notice a huge difference.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread