Is it safe to use different tank on Smok Priv V8 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuff76

Feb 2, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've been sub ohming for about 6 Months now, so still a bit of a newbie.

Using a Smok Alien 220w with the TFV8 Baby Beast tank, alternating with an Aspire Cleito tank.

I have just bought a Smok Priv V8, which seems great for its size.

This little Priv also comes with a TFV8 Baby Beast tank that I am accustomed to(that was part of the attraction), but I notice that instead of the normal 0.4 Q2 Coils, it came with 2 x M2 Coils which are 0.25 ohm.

The Priv does not have a display or changeable wattage, I believe it automatically runs between 45-60w depending on the coil resistance.

My question is this:

Can I use my other tanks on this little mod? Or could I encounter problems?

Both other tanks are using 0.4 ohm coils.

I have tried them both and they do both work, but am just a bit worried that it might be the wrong power output and could damage the Priv mod or something.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers
Chuff

Reactions: stols001

Chuff76

Feb 2, 2018
Hi BoogaWu,
I have got some decent branded batteries, the same as I use in the Alien(but only one of them rather than two) it looks like they are 35Amp - Do you think they will be okay?

The question only came about because I was searching for compatible tanks for this kit and Smok only seem to recommend the 0.25 as compatible.

Bearing in mind that this is a very simple kit, maybe they are just trying to keep it simple?

Well, I have just seen that they also do M2 coils down to 0.15 which are also not listed for the Priv.

So long as it isnt going to explode on me, I will experiment

Reactions: stols001

BoogaWu

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Lakewood, CO
I haven't kept up on batteries in the last couple of weeks, but I don't think the big 3 make 35 amp 18650 batteries. Rewraps can print anything on the label, so you could easily have 10 amp batteries labeled 35. Stick to batteries made by a company that also makes TVs from a reputable vendor. I like liion wholesale.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The SMOK Priv V8 is a fixed-output mechanical mod with some electronics added such as some protection circuitry and a built-in USB charger. Recommended battery is the Sony VTC5A 75 amp 2500mah battery. Battery life will depend upon the coil resistance you have; lower ohm coils will be more draining than higher ohm coils.

You should be able to use any tank you wish on your SMOK Priv.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have got some decent branded batteries, the same as I use in the Alien(but only one of them rather than two) it looks like they are 35Amp - Do you think they will be okay?
Dude, not to be rude but you really gotta do better than that. What does "decent branded batteries" mean? Be specific to brand name and model number.

There are no 18650 batteries which are over 30 amps. "35Amp" batteries sound like they are a re-wrap and are not what you think they are.

Look at this list of batteries to see what their true amp rating is. List of Battery Tests

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have got EFEST 3000mAh 35A batteries, and also some Fogstar 3500mAh 10A

The Efests are a re-wrap battery. Only 20 amps. Efest is notorious for exagerating their amp ratings. Read the blog:

• Learn what a rewrap cell is. If you are using rebranded cells, does that mean it is inferior, poor quality, or even dangerous? Which batteries are suspected to be rebranded batteries?
The Fogstar is only a 10 amp battery. Stop using them. They are for flashlights, not vaporizers.

Again, not to be rude, but you really need to educate yourself about batteries for vaping. You also need to learn a little about Ohm's Law.

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
  • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries. What do those numbers and letters on batteries mean? What's an amp rating and why is it more important than the mAh rating when choosing a battery for vaping?
Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
  • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Recently revised to be even more simple. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

Last edited:

BoogaWu

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Lakewood, CO
From what I know fogstar is a decent retailer (I'm not in the UK) but they don't make their own batteries, they rewrap also. There are actually 10 amp 3500 mah batteries made, so I would believe the ratings on those at least. (Not to contradict Bad, no idea on the batts and he's probably right, we post at the same time)
Rewraps are when efest buys a batch of batteries, peells the factory wraps off and puts their own wraps on. No way for us to tell what the batts they bought are. Beware avoid efest.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
No you cannot depend on a rewrapped battery to be as advertised, they are often seconds bought from the main manufacturers, and often overrated in their specs. You really do need an authentic battery, and some more knowledge on battery safety. You can look at this blog and it will give you accurate specs on all the "authentic" battery makers (I'm sorry I always have trouble just listing the chart) along with test results, good vendors (vape shops don't make good vendors, they sell to new users often low quality batteries, but the new vaper often doesn't know about battery safety and will purchase, at INFLATED prices). Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

I get my batteries from IMRbatteries.com. They are fast, reliable, and inexpensive. Although I am using a lower rated battery as I vape low wattage and more runtime, my batteries cost about $5 each. A good battery doesn't need to be expensive, it needs to be authentic, and to have the capacity you will need to fire lower resistance coils.

Best of luck,

Anna

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I haven't kept up on batteries in the last couple of weeks, but I don't think the big 3 make 35 amp 18650 batteries. Rewraps can print anything on the label, so you could easily have 10 amp batteries labeled 35. Stick to batteries made by a company that also makes TVs from a reputable vendor. I like liion wholesale.
57a.jpg

Advice of the day. "Stick to batteries made by a company that also makes TVs..."

I agree that Efest sells overrated batteries. That said, the Efest LUC chargers are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread