Is it safe to use different tank on Smok Priv V8 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
As I got more knowledgeable about vaping I have to say, I became retroactively terrified at practices I had engaged in in the past. :)

With that said, yes, it's really buyer beware on many things vape. Sadly, some vape shops are really looking for a fast buck (or not knowledgeable enough themselves) that they will often carry and sell dangerous equipment. If I really needed a battery, I'd almost be tempted to go get a recycled one than buy one from a vape store (not that I would do either).

The good news is, for the most part, given the amount of vaping that happens, most accidents and problems you do really have to work hard to achieve, although it is achievable. MOST times, a poorly rated battery in a REGULATED mod will simply refuse to fire.... unless and until it becomes so stressed that bad things happen. Some mods are overrated, and promise a "highest wattage" board that no authentic battery can achieve.

Just keep asking questions until you feel knowledgeable enough to proceed. With the proper care and equipment (which includes batteries and chargers) vaping really is perfectly safe. It's just a learning curve until you get there. ECF is a great place to be for that.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
.... Is this industry not regulated ?

Okay so keep the Fogstars and ditch the efest - Get Sony or Samsung ?
No, ditch the Fogstars; not a vaping battery and only 10 amps means they are pratically useless for vaping. For an unregulated/mechanical mod, you need a bare minimum 15 amps; preferably 20 - 25 amps.

The Efests are "ok", just understand they are not as powerful as advertised. Only 20 amps.

No, the battery industry is not regulated. The vast majority of 18650 batteries are made by the Big Three in Japan or Korea -- Lg, Samsung, and Sony. They are trustworthy manufacturers whose advertised specs you can trust.

Not all batteries are created equal, and go through a quality control process. The upper crust get sold to auto manufacturers and OEM power tool manufacturers. The lower quality batteries are sold on the open market to aftermarket suppliers (re-wrappers) who tear off the original plastic, re-wrap the cells with their own brand, and usually advertise over-rated specifications.

There are a few Chinese battery manufacturers (Trustfire, Surefire, et al), but they are generally lesser quality batteries and also over-rate their specifications.

Important to know that Lg, Samsung, and Sony manufacturers do not like that we are using them in our e-cigarettes.

sony-battery-jpg.529035

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Battery safety is something we kind of push here, and Moochs blog is a wealth of information. He also has a YouTube channel if you do better learning that way, I think his name is Battery Mooch there. Spend an afternoon learning and save some teeth, cheers!

Mooch's Battery Blog

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
My goodness, so glad I came across this topic. Just got my local shop vendor on the phone, he told me that he sold me VTC 6 Sony batteries. According to him, they should be able to deliver up to 30 amp for my revenger.

So relieved !!!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

The Sony vtc6 is a 15a/20a cell, it is not capable of providing more than 20a safely. And only 20a if cell temp is monitored & kept below 80c at all times.
Your local vape shop is misinformed, confused or doesn't know what they're talking about.

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Wrong information regarding battery limits

BoogaWu

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Lakewood, CO
"But this is not a high performance “power” cell, designed for high current. It is a high capacity “energy” cell designed for low to moderate power levels and long running time. At higher current levels the voltage sag and power loss in the cell are huge. Do not exceed 20A."
Quoted directly from Elvis's link

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
The Sony vtc6 is a 15a/20a cell, it is not capable of providing more than 20a safely. And only 20a if cell temp is monitored & kept below 80c at all times.
Your local vape shop is misinformed, confused or doesn't know what they're talking about.
Its on the manufactures datasheet not some re-wrappped battery. saying its a 20a battery is the real misinformation

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Obviously you didn't read or understand the link I provided.
Mooch dedicates an enormous amount of time & energy to battery testing for vaping use & relays accurate information free of charge to the community.
He is a reputable trusted & accurate source for battery information.

I have actual authentic vtc6 data sheets directly from SED.
If you have in your possession a data sheet showing a vtc6 as a 30a CDR cell it is one of the many manipulated versions.
There is no such thing as a 3000mah 30a CDR 18650 cell.

You are giving false possibly dangerous information.

The vtc 6 is not a 30a CDR cell and should never be pushed past 20a.

I urge everyone to read the link I provided and to always refer to & rely on Mooch's cell tests.

Last edited:

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
The SMOK Priv V8 is a fixed-output mechanical mod with some electronics added such as some protection circuitry and a built-in USB charger. Recommended battery is the Sony VTC5A 75 amp 2500mah battery. Battery life will depend upon the coil resistance you have; lower ohm coils will be more draining than higher ohm coils.

Hey @Baditude , I know it's a typo but you should probably edit the 75 amp to avoid anyone stumbling across it. :) When I see you have done so I will edit mine. :)

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Interesting, SMOK shows the Priv8 as useing PWM to reduce power below .15 ohm. Full range .1 - 2.5 ohms. Priv V8 - SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!

Since it is basically a mech, the atty will need to draw the correct power for it so results will vary. Using a far lower power tank such as a Nautilus would allow using lesser batteries with some safety (as good as pushing it to the limit), but since power can't actually be controlled or read out, some of the safety mechanisms are void without a cell as good as it expects.

• Useful
    Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Recommended battery is the Sony VTC5A 75 amp 2500mah battery.
    Hey @Baditude , I know it's a typo but you should probably edit the 75 amp to avoid anyone stumbling across it. :) When I see you have done so I will edit mine. :)
    Thank you for pointing that out! :) Too much time has passed for me to edit that post, so I will retract the above statement.

The Sony VTC5A is a 25 amp 2500mah battery.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread