Is it Typical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
It's not typical to take up vaping with the intention of quiting smoking and then return to smoking, no.
Dual use is common in the early days of vaping, yes.
Are you weak-willed? Probably not. Most of us struggled but it was easier than cold turkey. Much easier. Good luck. :)

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,
When I first started, it was about substitution.
If I could replace one or more cigarettes with the puffer, I was doing great.
It is important to count the cigarettes you DO NOT smoke.
Take as much time as you need, watch what increases your compulsion to smoke.

Be gentle with yourself.
I

Last edited:

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Is it typical to start vaping as a way to give up cigarette smoking, but then to go back to cigarettes or to do both rather giving up completely? Is this a typical problem at the beginning of the process or am I just a particularly weak-willed individual?
You are not alone. Lots of dual-users here.
If you can explain what you feel is lacking, and what you are currently using, you will get lotsa advice on how to improve your experience.
Take it at your own pace.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Ive been vaping for just over a year now. I still crave a Marlboro from time to time. And i have even gone as far as to go ahead and have one or several. If i do break over, a pack will last for several weeks because i like vaping more and because cigs generally taste like crap. Even when i crave one, i know its gonna taste like crap and my vape is gonna taste like fruit loops or lemom custard or strawberry cake and icecream. Cant explain the craving so i just go with it and dont beat myself up over it because i ALWAYS return to vaping. No real desire to give up vape over cigs.

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
Whenever you feel the need to smoke a cig just pick up your vape and tell yourself that if you still want to smoke after 10 mins you will do so. Believe me, if you do that again after the time has passed, you will quit smoking for good very soon. Telling yourself you don't want to smoke is not the way to go. Of course you do. It's all about tricking your mind, until your body needs the sticks no more.

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
Thank you for your kind replies. Could it be that nicotine level, 6mg, is too low and that is causing me to desire to smoke occasionally? I've gone from six a day to a pack in a week, not a monumental shift, but a step in the right direction from my perspective.
What is your vaping style? Mouth to lung (like smoking) or directly to lung (like yawing )? I also recommend staying away from tobacco flavours. That way, you notice the bad taste of the cigs to the fullest.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Could it be that nicotine level, 6mg, is too low and that is causing me to desire to smoke occasionally?

For me that was absolutely the case. When I began vaping juice was typically sold in high (24), medium (18) and low (12) nic. I started at 24 and after a week was smoking less but had still not completely quit. It wasn’t until I found some 36 mg/ml that I was able to resist that last morning cig.

Others have found that WTAs (whole tobacco alkaloids) have been the ticket to being smoke free. I’ve never vaped them so I’ll let someone with experience with them explain more about them, might be worth looking into.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum!

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
If you're doing direct lung, don't go very high on the nic. I have 2.4mg/mL right now and it still makes me nauseous when on longer sessions.
Anything lower that 3mg/ml is pretty low to be honest. I'd suggest you quit adding nic into your juices at all if that's the case.

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
Anything lower that 3mg/ml is pretty low to be honest. I'd suggest you quit adding nic into your juices at all if that's the case.
I don't think it's too low since I usually have .1 - .2 ohm coils, high wattage and tend to consume my 4mL tank empty in one go. I have also tried 0mg juice, but it's always missing the oomph I want.

Reactions: stols001

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
The nicotine level you need is very much dependent on the type of device your using and to some extent how much you smoked before starting to vape. May i ask what devices you're using?

I've been vaping over 3 years. It took me 2 weeks to quit the first time. That was with a lot of determination assisted by vape. It lasted 3 months and I caved in and became a dual user for over a year.

Over that time I moved to subohm devices and they were more satisfying than my low power devices. Last fall I quit for the 2nd time. Lasted 2 months. Again it was more motivated by disgust in my 'weakness' supported by vape.

One problem I had all that time was that I just couldn't get started vaping first thing in the morning. But it wasn't like I especially desired a cig in the morning as many folks say. It was more like my vape didn't appeal to me as soon as I opened my eyes. I needed time to convince myself to take that first puff of the day.

Over the last few days I've reconfigured my vape. Gone back to my old low power pen style devices and what many folks would consider to be extremely high nicotine level. I haven't had a real urge for a smoke since. It's not willpower, not determination just a true preference for my vape.

I mixed 3 120ml batches of juice at 36mg nic and 50/50 VG/PG. The harshness of the high nic and high PG seems to perfectly match the sensation of a cig for me. Just as important for me is a flavor that I stumbled on while mixing. Just one ingredient simple shake and vape. I can't put it down and it first thing I want when my eyes open. Just plain old Apple flavor!

Here's to hoping it sticks for me this time and that something I shared may be of help to you.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
everyone is different...there are plenty of vapers (here in these forums) that still smoke after years
of course there are those that vaped for a while then reverted to smoking then went back to vaping
everyone's story is different...don't judge yourself by others...your progress and ultimate goal is yours alone
and when first starting out it is difficult....I started vaping just to see if it could possibly work....I smoked for a few years while still trying out vaping (mostly cig-a-likes) I smoked cloves, i've never cared for tobacco flavor so starting out vaping was very difficult given that everything in stores (gas stations, pharmacies) were all cig-a-likes...it wasn't until I joined ecf that I found out that there were better options and finally found a set up that worked for me and was able to put down the smokes, yes I still had one at times especially when I get over stressed and still now 5 years later when i'm stressed beyond my limits i crave a clove but it passes

I'd have to say most people did not start vaping with the intent to quit smoking, it was more either as a, let me try this out and see what everyone's talking about...or as a cheaper alternative to smoking....it isn't until later that you really realize that yes this is possible to use and not smoke...but coming to that point is different for everyone, or as I said some people decide to not quit smoking and still use both...it's all about your comfort level and what your goal is....so don't beat yourself up if you are wanting to quit smoking and relapse....that's going to happen...smoke your one cigarette and then continue on vaping, in time eventually you won't need that one cigarette, or you'll pick one up and you won't believe at just how nasty they really taste!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I would advise you get a second tank and keep 12mg in it. You will still crave a cig but it will be easier to vape through the cravings with a higher nic juice. I dualed for a few months but many days the only smoke I would have is the feet hit the floor morning one. I finally just decided to not buy another pack. It was hard for several weeks but the cravings do ease up and fade into the background. Keep in mind vaping is a crutch not a cure, some will power is needed.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
The nicotine level you need is very much dependent on the type of device your using and to some extent how much you smoked before starting to vape. May i ask what devices you're using?

I've been vaping over 3 years. It took me 2 weeks to quit the first time. That was with a lot of determination assisted by vape. It lasted 3 months and I caved in and became a dual user for over a year.

Over that time I moved to subohm devices and they were more satisfying than my low power devices. Last fall I quit for the 2nd time. Lasted 2 months. Again it was more motivated by disgust in my 'weakness' supported by vape.

One problem I had all that time was that I just couldn't get started vaping first thing in the morning. But it wasn't like I especially desired a cig in the morning as many folks say. It was more like my vape didn't appeal to me as soon as I opened my eyes. I needed time to convince myself to take that first puff of the day.

Over the last few days I've reconfigured my vape. Gone back to my old low power pen style devices and what many folks would consider to be extremely high nicotine level. I haven't had a real urge for a smoke since. It's not willpower, not determination just a true preference for my vape.

I mixed 3 120ml batches of juice at 36mg nic and 50/50 VG/PG. The harshness of the high nic and high PG seems to perfectly match the sensation of a cig for me. Just as important for me is a flavor that I stumbled on while mixing. Just one ingredient simple shake and vape. I can't put it down and it first thing I want when my eyes open. Just plain old Apple flavor!

Here's to hoping it sticks for me this time and that something I shared may be of help to you.
Which apple?

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread