Vaping etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I'm a new member from Nashville, and I was wondering what sort of etiquette (if any) has formed around vaping? For instance, when in public, do you typically vape only in smoking areas / outdoors? Does anyone vape in their office / indoors, and have you gotten any flack or complaints for so doing? I myself typically try to keep it to the outdoors because that's what I'm used to doing from smoking cigarettes (and it isn't really that big an incovenience for me, at least), but I was wondering what other folks experiences were. Anyway, it's great to be here!

NoBS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon, USA
For me, same as analog smoking.
In bars, I just ask the Bar royalty (the center of attraction type) if e-cigs are permitted, even before the bartender.

Most in my area do, but if not, out side vaping would the responsible thing. Especially if we want to keep this not only on a correct legal standing, but as a representation of the ethical attitude of ALL vapers.

My father called it respect, and mercy to me if I forgot that one!
He'd crawl out of the grave for my smack down, except this time it would be MY utility belt I would fetch for him!

Harleybarbie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Wonderland
I ask when I go out to restaurants, I vape outside at work mostly, just to keep some questions down. They really still don't understand it at the hospital I work, they treat it just like analogs.

The bums on the street still ask me for analogs! They look at me like I'm the lunatic when I have a plume coming out of my mouth and nose and tell them I dont smoke! :D I get such a kick outta that!

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

fraggboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
They really still don't understand it at the hospital I work, they treat it just like analogs.

I work at a hospital also. I can understand why not to vape down the halls. Some residents won't distinguish it's an e-cig, and think it's OK for them to smoke indoors.

OH, off subject. I've heard that some companies are going to raise healthcare rate if you smoke (Makes sense), OR use e-cigs!! That's NOT cool!!

John_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
Riverside, California, USA
Do not vape anywhere smoking is prohibited/frowned upon unless you have permission from whoever controls/owns where you are.

Vaping outside is generally a gray area, if it's not a small space and people aren't forced to walk by/around you it will probably be okay.

Blowing a giant cloud or anything into/at somebody is always rude so try to exhale away from people, maybe exhale toward the ground and always consider the wind. If the wind is blowing a certain way that cloud you just let out may smack somebody right in the face.

Last edited:

Moogle

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Portland, OR
Depends. I vape at work on Sundays or after the management goes home. It's prohibited but most people don't care. I'm of the mind that I don't vape in stores or restaurants and don't bring my PV with me when I go in. People always stare at me and my big PV so I figure it's better to be respectful and careful. I can vape all day at home, outside or in my car and other friendly places, so why invite ignorant people's ire? When it comes time to vote on that ordinance, they'll think one of two things. Those Vapers are a-holes or wow, those Vapers go out of their way to be polite and it doesn't stink, etc.

fraggboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Do not vape anywhere smoking is prohibited/frowned upon unless you have permission from whoever controls/owns where you are.

That's where we differ. Let's say we are in a restaurant. Joe/Jane pulls out an e-cig/mod and starts puffing away. People will look. Possibly make frowns, and others will simply ask. That's when I take the time to educate the public that I am NOT harming them in *any* way. If we ONLY stay on the 'sidelines', how are we going to educate the rest of the public? They will be force-feed BS that is a bunch of LIES!

I know what I do, a lot of people will frown upon, or think I am giving the vape community a bad name. That's NOT my goal. My goal is to educate EVERYONE, targeting the non-smokers!

Tvan

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
NY
That's where we differ. Let's say we are in a restaurant. Joe/Jane pulls out an e-cig/mod and starts puffing away. People will look. Possibly make frowns, and others will simply ask. That's when I take the time to educate the public that I am NOT harming them in *any* way. If we ONLY stay on the 'sidelines', how are we going to educate the rest of the public? They will be force-feed BS that is a bunch of LIES!

I know what I do, a lot of people will frown upon, or think I am giving the vape community a bad name. That's NOT my goal. My goal is to educate EVERYONE, targeting the non-smokers!

That's how to educate someone or forcing them to deal with it?

fraggboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
That's how to educate someone or forcing them to deal with it?

How am I "forcing them to deal with it" when I'm taking the time to talk to them about the differences?! Everyone I have talked to are very intrigued and eager to listen.

Am I forcing them to smell my sweet pluid (Even tho it's not noticeable)?
Am I forcing them to take in the 'nasty' water vapor? (Even when I blow it straight up above my head)
What exactly am I forcing them on?

EDIT: Everyone has their own opinion on what they will do. You guys stay on the side-lines and keep vaping (That is your prerogative). I seriously doubt a non-smoker is going to travel to the smoking section and ask you about your e-cig or mod!

Last edited:

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
I don't vape anywhere I feel that people might not appreciate it such as restaurants, movie theaters, Dr offices, around kids etc...

I do vape in public out doors, in buildings, bars, in my office at work, in my home office, and anywhere else I want to unless I feel it would be disrespectful to those right around me or the location I'm in atm.

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
How am I "forcing them to deal with it" when I'm taking the time to talk to them about the differences?! Everyone I have talked to are very intrigued and eager to listen.

Am I forcing them to smell my sweet pluid (Even tho it's not noticeable)?
Am I forcing them to take in the 'nasty' water vapor? (Even when I blow it straight up above my head)
What exactly am I forcing them on?

EDIT: Everyone has their own opinion on what they will do. You guys stay on the side-lines and keep vaping (That is your prerogative). I seriously doubt a non-smoker is going to travel to the smoking section and ask you about your e-cig or mod!

You are forcing them to deal with it by "puffing away" (your words) in a restaurant where people have limited choices on where they sit and could be in the middle of a meal. They have one of two choices, complain or deal with it. I guess they could leave to.

By vaping in a spot where people can't really avoid it you kinda are forcing them to deal with it.

Educating people is cool and I promote this myself but not at the expense of their personal comfort. maybe I'm just a nicer guy than you though. More considerate anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread