Is it worth spending the money to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenjas

Jun 26, 2015
Now that I have istick 30w, I'm using a mini Protank 2. I'm vaping at 3.3V at about 6 watts. Flavor is assume. But, I'm wondering if I'm not getting the most out of the flavor I'm using. My local vapeshop has the Aspire Atlantis. This this tank, I can increase the voltage to 3.5V at a wattage of 24.50W. I'm curious if the price will be worth the upgrade. What say you?

Reactions: mauricem00

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
Welcome to ECF greenjas!
The Atlantis is going to be a completely different vape experience, and there's a very good chance that your juice won't like the higher wattage. Experimentation can be fun, but it can also be expensive.
If you enjoy what you have don't be in a rush to change it. Just my :2c:

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
The Protank 3 mini is OK but it doesn't use the potential of your iStick 30w. I don't own an Atlantis but the Aspire Nautilus mini is a good tank for the iStick. Much better flavor and more vapor. It's best in the 11 to 13 watt range.

Another tank to consider is the Eleaf GS Air M or MS. They are about $10.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
"worth" is a relative term. 90% of vapers upgrade at some point. If you're a mouth to lung vaper, in my opinion, the next upgrade would be a Nautilus Mini/full size with the BVC coils of 1.6/1.8 at 10 to 15 watts.

The tank I'd recommend next would be the Kanger Subtank Mini 4.5 ml. The first thing I changed on this tank was the drip tip to a more restricted one (I am a mouth to lung vape) and I use the 1.2 ohm coils at 18 to 20 W. It also has the .5 ohm OCC factory coils as well as a build deck to learn to build coils.

If you're sold on the Atlantis I'd suggest looking at the New Aspire Triton that just came out ($30 online).

greenjas

Jun 26, 2015
If you want to upgrade from 6 watts to 25, then go for it. I wouldn't advise it.
The Protank 2 is an nice tank but with old coil technology. It's not like you can just turn it up to 15 watts and go half way, as it will burn/dry-hit.
I'd go halfway with a mini Nautilus or GS Air or something.
As for price... it depends how much the tank is. These are expensive tanks and it's not like you buy higher resistance coils if you don't like it.

As I increase my knowledge, that's what I'm asking. I do not understand the reason to increase the wattage unless it will improve the taste of my ejuice. I've read that higher wattage will give better taste. Whereas, the airflow will give more vapor. And, the volts will increase the heat which is why the higher the volts the more airflow one needs to cool the vapor unless one like hot vapor. I'm simply all about the taste for right now. Since I'm new to vaping, I just want to make sure that I'm getting the best taste for the ejuice I use. What's I'm saying is that I don't want to be using 5.5w at 3.3v because that is the max I can go with my tank, whereas, if I brought a Naulis mini, I can go to 10w at 4v and get full flavor out of this world.

Now, I am also learning that flavor has to do with PG vs. VG and the higher the PG the more flavor. I'm using 20% PG and 80% VG that I purchased from my local vapeshop. I love the flavor. I know at some point I will have to change or I can lose the ability to taste the flavor. I vape about 3-4 times per hour. So, I guess you can say I chain vape.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
I don't think the triton is available for $30 yet - msrp looks to be $50, have seen it for $45 for preorders... maybe you are thinking the atlantis 2? if the triton is available for $30, hook a brother up and tell me where, please - would jump on that with both feet and a tentacle!
3.5ml Aspire Triton RBA Tank - $29.99

Reactions: dcfluegel

greenjas

Jun 26, 2015
increasing power (watts) will not necessarily increase flavor. without a corresponding increase in airflow it will raise the temperature of your vapor which may have a negative impact on flavor and your vaping experience.you could try higher PG or extra flavor shots to get more flavor. but higher power is useful if you want more vapor.if you like the flavor you are getting from your current rig than you are probably close to optimum temperature for that flavor and increasing power will only give you more vapor or a burnt taste if you don't increase airflow..some people like the feel of a hot vape but a cool vape is more flavorful to many.a rebuild-able tank with adjustable airflow may be the best next step.but you will likely just see more vapor production.any flavor increase would be the result of a stronger hit from a more powerful tank. but vapor temperature is also an important consideration as is tank material. a glass tank will give you a "cleaner" purer flavor. you may also want to learn a little more about ohms law. for a given resistance increasing you wattage will increase temperature and require an increase in voltage.more power (wattage or voltage) will require more airflow to prevent overheating or burning your juice.higher PG is thinner and less likely to cause dry hits and burnt wicks

Thanks. Based upon what your saying, I'm most likely going to stay with current mod for right now. Spending $30 for a new tank just doesn't seem logical right now. I could use that $30 to get 3 new flavors. I think the price would be worth it if the increase in wattage and decrease in voltage would give a better taste. I'm just not sure if this is the case. Again, we're talking $30 for taste increase, no vapor increase.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Where does it say what wattage range a topper is made for?

On the Subtanks the "recommended" wattage is usually printed on the side of the coil heads. On my Nautilus coils it is printed (in volts) also on the coil head. With the Nautilus (and other tanks I use) I have my mod set to watts and the regulated mod adjusts the volts (I suspect it has a safety range).

EDIT : Rergardless, the rule of thumb is to start low and work your way up.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
If you want to upgrade from 6 watts to 25, then go for it. I wouldn't advise it.
The Protank 2 is an nice tank but with old coil technology. It's not like you can just turn it up to 15 watts and go half way, as it will burn/dry-hit.
I'd go halfway with a mini Nautilus or GS Air or something.
As for price... it depends how much the tank is. These are expensive tanks and it's not like you buy higher resistance coils if you don't like it.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I'm about the flavor right now. I'm not really into the sub ohms right now. I think I'll take a look at the Naulis mini. I really don't want to go below 1.0 ohm. I'm still very new and for me its about the flavor more than the cloud.

The Nautilus and Nautilus Mini are both good tanks. Flavor wise, and to open your options to get good potential out of that iStick 30watt, a Sub-tank Mini or Sub-tank Nano would work real well, they have coil heads in the 1.2 ohm area, you'd just have to choke down the airflow control to 2nd smallest or smallest setting, later if want to go 20 plus watts with the 0.5ohm coils you can do that as well with the Sub-tanks. Nautilus wouldn't require you to step down in Nic level on your juice just yet, the Sub-tank with the 1.2ohm coils, maybe 12mg due to how hot it can get, go sub-ohm you'll have to step down to 6mg (assuming 18mg being used now)

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
As I increase my knowledge, that's what I'm asking. I do not understand the reason to increase the wattage unless it will improve the taste of my ejuice. I've read that higher wattage will give better taste. Whereas, the airflow will give more vapor. And, the volts will increase the heat which is why the higher the volts the more airflow one needs to cool the vapor unless one like hot vapor. I'm simply all about the taste for right now. Since I'm new to vaping, I just want to make sure that I'm getting the best taste for the ejuice I use. What's I'm saying is that I don't want to be using 5.5w at 3.3v because that is the max I can go with my tank, whereas, if I brought a Naulis mini, I can go to 10w at 4v and get full flavor out of this world.

Now, I am also learning that flavor has to do with PG vs. VG and the higher the PG the more flavor. I'm using 20% PG and 80% VG that I purchased from my local vapeshop. I love the flavor. I know at some point I will have to change or I can lose the ability to taste the flavor. I vape about 3-4 times per hour. So, I guess you can say I chain vape.
increasing power (watts) will not necessarily increase flavor. without a corresponding increase in airflow it will raise the temperature of your vapor which may have a negative impact on flavor and your vaping experience.you could try higher PG or extra flavor shots to get more flavor. but higher power is useful if you want more vapor.if you like the flavor you are getting from your current rig than you are probably close to optimum temperature for that flavor and increasing power will only give you more vapor or a burnt taste if you don't increase airflow..some people like the feel of a hot vape but a cool vape is more flavorful to many.a rebuild-able tank with adjustable airflow may be the best next step.but you will likely just see more vapor production.any flavor increase would be the result of a stronger hit from a more powerful tank. but vapor temperature is also an important consideration as is tank material. a glass tank will give you a "cleaner" purer flavor. you may also want to learn a little more about ohms law. for a given resistance increasing you wattage will increase temperature and require an increase in voltage.more power (wattage or voltage) will require more airflow to prevent overheating or burning your juice.higher PG is thinner and less likely to cause dry hits and burnt wicks

Last edited:

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
If you're sold on the Atlantis I'd suggest looking at the New Aspire Triton that just came out ($30 online).

I don't think the triton is available for $30 yet - msrp looks to be $50, have seen it for $45 for preorders... maybe you are thinking the atlantis 2? if the triton is available for $30, hook a brother up and tell me where, please - would jump on that with both feet and a tentacle!

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I'm about the flavor right now. I'm not really into the sub ohms right now. I think I'll take a look at the Naulis mini. I really don't want to go below 1.0 ohm. I'm still very new and for me its about the flavor more than the cloud.

There are a few covets with the Nautilus tanks, while the air flow is adjustable it is still fairly restrictive, 11-13W may often be mentioned as the "sweet spot" however it is highly dependent on the ratio+flavor of your juice - IE: your juice better be "runny" (>=50% PG or watered down VG) otherwise using anything over 10W (even on 1.8ohm coils) and you risk burning your cotton (and scrapping the coil)

The only time I've had one leak on me is after I left one in the car for a shift on a hot and sunny day.

greenjas

Jun 26, 2015
    The Nautilus and Nautilus Mini are both good tanks. Flavor wise, and to open your options to get good potential out of that iStick 30watt, a Sub-tank Mini or Sub-tank Nano would work real well, they have coil heads in the 1.2 ohm area, you'd just have to choke down the airflow control to 2nd smallest or smallest setting, later if want to go 20 plus watts with the 0.5ohm coils you can do that as well with the Sub-tanks. Nautilus wouldn't require you to step down in Nic level on your juice just yet, the Sub-tank with the 1.2ohm coils, maybe 12mg due to how hot it can get, go sub-ohm you'll have to step down to 6mg (assuming 18mg being used now)

I only use 3mg of nic. I have no plans to increase my nic levels.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread