Is it worth spending the money to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Exactly my point. If I'm going to keep it under 10W, my PG is 20%, then I might as well stay with my current mod. It's not going to give me any add value in terms of the taste by purchasing a $30 tank.
    Nope. I agree.

I have a tank with some mild grape in it - however the flavor becomes undetectable after 15min vaping it - I'm mostly using non-flavored now which BTW really makes my flavored juices stand out!

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    There are a few covets with the Nautilus tanks, while the air flow is adjustable it is still fairly restrictive, 11-13W may often be mentioned as the "sweet spot" however it is highly dependent on the ratio+flavor of your juice - IE: your juice better be "runny" (>=50% PG or watered down VG) otherwise using anything over 10W (even on 1.8ohm coils) and you risk burning your cotton (and scrapping the coil)

The only time I've had one leak on me is after I left one in the car for a shift on a hot and sunny day.

IMO the Nautilus is among the best when it comes to flavor, and I have subohm tanks to compare it to. Yes, the airflow is restrictive, but not overly restrictive. I lung hit off of mine with no problems. And I think your "juice better be runny" comment is a bit on the conservative side. While I wouldn't recommend using an 80% VG juice I've had no problems running mine at 15W+ with 60% VG juices. Granted I stay away from juices with really dark coloring, but my vanilla mixes work fine and it's a nice golden brown.

That's not to say that greenjas should run right out and buy one, that choice is his to make, but your statement needs a bit of adjustment to be clear and accurate.

The one thing I would not do is recommend ANY subohm tank for a 30W mod if flavor is your main priority. The best low-watt subohm tank for flavor is the Kanger Subtank which works really well in the 22-25W range, but it's flavor isn't anywhere near as good as the Nautilus. The best subohm tanks for flavor are high-wattage tanks like the Freemax Starre and Sense Herakles which work best in the 60+ watt range. Not to mention subohming drains a battery FAST and with only 2200mAh and a single battery the OP would need to recharge his iStick 30W two to three times a day using a subohm tank.

Now, to Greejas...

I personally feel that the Nautilus/Nautilus Mini is a little better than the Protank 2 that you're using. It's not massively better, the Protanks are good tanks for flavor, but the Nautilus with BVC coils is a better. If you decide that maybe you do want to try one at some point Mount Baker Vapor has the Mini for $25 and the full sized for $26, and you can get a 10% discount with the Coupon Code of ECF. The ECF code is for members of this forum and works all of the time.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    And I think your "juice better be runny" comment is a bit on the conservative side. While I wouldn't recommend using an 80% VG juice I've had no problems running mine at 15W+ with 60% VG juices. Granted I stay away from juices with really dark coloring, but my vanilla mixes work fine and it's a nice golden brown.

I suppose like anything else its "YMMV". I was running up a batch of unflavored 50/50% and it started to taste "burnt" at 14-15W so I backed it down. Ditto for my 25/75% (PG/VG) excepting in the later case >=12W starts to be problematic.

Then again the user has to consider the idea that higher VG content is naturally creating more vapor. IMHO the Nautilus is not optimum for 'cloud chasing' but rather for reliable leak free flavor and 'toodle puffing'.

I'm currently running mine with 80/20 VG/H2O @ ~10-12W and can cloud up my living room if I worked at it. ;)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    Put as simply as I can think. 10 or 12 (maybe 14) watts is going to product more vapor and flavor than running a Protank at low power (6 or 8).
    Since the old Kanger Protank/evod factory coils don't like going into double figures, whereas the Aspire BVC coils work better above 10 watts, then for me the question is easy to answer...you should upgrade.
    Sub-ohm tanks at 15-50 watts make more and more vapour, more and more heat, but flavor doesn't always improve with power. You can run the non-sub-ohm coil (1.2ohms) in the Subtank Nano/Mini and vape at medium power too... I find they work as nicely at 10-14 watts as Nautilus BVC. The BEST flavor, i.m.o. is probably using a Kayfun or Taifun single coil RBA/RTA.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 18, 2015
    carson city nevada
    Thanks. Based upon what your saying, I'm most likely going to stay with current mod for right now. Spending $30 for a new tank just doesn't seem logical right now. I could use that $30 to get 3 new flavors. I think the price would be worth it if the increase in wattage and decrease in voltage would give a better taste. I'm just not sure if this is the case. Again, we're talking $30 for taste increase, no vapor increase.
    smart choice. it does not cost anything to educate yourself. then you can understand what you need to do to get what you want. taste vary from vapor to vapor. some like high power cloud chasers others like lower power. many companies sell added flavor shots with their juice and if you are happy with your current vapor production you really have no need to change your tank. if your interested in buying juice online you may want to take a look at vape wild A-Z Liquid - Vape Wild I used them before I started making my own juice and they let you choose your PG/VG ratio, nicotine content and they sell extra flavor shots for increase flavor. in time you may want to learn to make your own juice.

DoctorJ

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2012
    Up vote the Nautilus tank. I'm using a Nautilus Mini on an iStick. I use the 1.6 ohm coils and vape around 9-10W. Get really good flavor and decent clouds, although I could care less about the clouds. I tried a Kanger Subtank Nano and BOY OH BOY does that thing burn really hot! I had to replace the metal driptip after burning my lips. You really have to crank up the wattage on the iStick to get it to start producing vape. I'm not sure what happened, but when I tried the .5 ohm coil it shorted out after 5 or 6 puffs. I tried the 1.2 ohm coil and it is still a very hot vape, at least for me. I still have the Kanger and am contemplating on trying it again, but right now I'm still hanging with the Nautilus Mini and loving it!

greenjas

Jun 26, 2015
    Ok, I said I was going to stay with the Protank mini. But, after reading all those who have posted, most of you recommended that I go with the nautilus mini. So, I took my $40 and brought the tank. Boy that was a learning curve. I finally learned how to get the tank open to put the juice in. Went to the Ohm calculator and put in the voltage and the Ohm, calculator said 13.8 was the best, so I started at 10 and began vaping until I noticed a flavor change. So far, I think my sweet spot is 12W. Anything higher and it starts to loose flavor. I went up as high as 13W.

As far as the flavor, I do notice a difference. But, due to a stressful situation I had today (I was assaulted by someone, waited for police to come for over an hour before heading to the police district only to be told that I cannot do anything.), I've been vaping really hard back to back. Not sure if this has desensitized me to the flavor. Well I know tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
    Mar 28, 2015
    Houghton, MI
    Ok, I said I was going to stay with the Protank mini. But, after reading all those who have posted, most of you recommended that I go with the nautilus mini. So, I took my $40 and brought the tank. Boy that was a learning curve. I finally learned how to get the tank open to put the juice in. Went to the Ohm calculator and put in the voltage and the Ohm, calculator said 13.8 was the best, so I started at 10 and began vaping until I noticed a flavor change. So far, I think my sweet spot is 12W. Anything higher and it starts to loose flavor. I went up as high as 13W.

As far as the flavor, I do notice a difference. But, due to a stressful situation I had today (I was assaulted by someone, waited for police to come for over an hour before heading to the police district only to be told that I cannot do anything.), I've been vaping really hard back to back. Not sure if this has desensitized me to the flavor. Well I know tomorrow. Thanks everyone.
    Hope everything turns out ok for you bud. That's not a fun situation at all....

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread