Is the grounding wire important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yppan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2011
Hello everyone I had the broken button problem happen today when I had my battery in my pocket, the cap was already loose and it came apart inside my pocket and starting burning my leg. I opened it up and fixed the button from firing all the time by relocating it in a more suitable place. I had everything perfect until the green wire (I think it's the ground wire) came unattached from the metal cap/base. It's still working but I'm worried about what the problems of this might be. Is having the grounding wire attached to the metal frame really important? Or can I just keep using it? Is my battery going to explode? I'd love for those with more expertise in electronics to chime in. Will it work without the grounding wire attached? The soldering came undone. It's still working atm

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Most people will tell you to throw it away - likely not a bad idea.

The ground goes to metal - usually the end cap as in this not that good video, but he makes it work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaOVmidfMhU

If it was getting hot in the pocket then there's some places where that wire could become dangerous..... If it's a joye eGo-c, it won't blow up -that's been proven. Otherwise, no guarantees.....

yppan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2011
The ground goes to metal - usually the end cap

do you mean the variable voltage metal dial? The wire in question was connected to the piece of metal that houses the button. I thought that I was screwed but it's still working...

If it was getting hot in the pocket then there's some places where that wire could become dangerous..... If it's a joye eGo-c, it won't blow up -that's been proven. Otherwise, no guarantees.....

It was hot because the button was stuck. I'm not sure if it's genuine joye no logo or anything on it.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
do you mean the variable voltage metal dial? The wire in question was connected to the piece of metal that houses the button. I thought that I was screwed but it's still working...

It was hot because the button was stuck. I'm not sure if it's genuine joye no logo or anything on it.

Sorry, I didn't click on the link to see it was a Twist. That's different, so, no, the ground wire wouldn't be soldered there. If it's still working then the wire is probably touching what it needs too. But if the wire's loose, then it could go anywhere of course.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Hello everyone I had the broken button problem happen today when I had my battery in my pocket, the cap was already loose and it came apart inside my pocket and starting burning my leg. I opened it up and fixed the button from firing all the time by relocating it in a more suitable place. I had everything perfect until the green wire (I think it's the ground wire) came unattached from the metal cap/base. It's still working but I'm worried about what the problems of this might be. Is having the grounding wire attached to the metal frame really important? Or can I just keep using it? Is my battery going to explode? I'd love for those with more expertise in electronics to chime in. Will it work without the grounding wire attached? The soldering came undone. It's still working atm

Yes

OK. I can see this is going to take some explanation.
I was all proud of myself for having my 2nd shortest post on ECF (I assume the shortest would be "No"...all disregarding the 10 char filler). But alas, it wasn't obvious I guess. Although I think, similar to scrabble, we should have answer scores. That one has a score of "3 chars to answer 5 questions"... 0.6 car/question. Amazing ;) :p

OK let's take it question by question:
A) "Is the grounding wire important?" in the title - Answer yes: They don't put a wire in, solder it and add labor without a reason. Really. They are mass producing this stuff. There IS a reason that wire is there. Answer MUST be yes. Also, ground wires are some of the most important safety features of devices traditionally.
B) Is having the grounding wire attached to the metal frame really important? Yes. Not only does it stop you from getting a shock from the "frame", but the frame may be acting as a ground plane...AKA grounding other stuff. So either the wire is grounding a component to the shell, or the wire establishes the shell as a common ground plane. So yes. However, the device may function for a while...it could cause problems and failure later and also a "floating wire" is not good more on that below.
C) Or can I just keep using it? Answer Yes. You said "CAN" not "Should". And you apparently already ARE using it. The answer to "Should you keep using it" is "No"...unless you fix it.
D) Is my battery going to explode? You are tempting fate. If there's a floating wire in there. My only safe answer is "Yes" because eventually something will short out where it shouldn't IF you keep letting a loose wire bounce around. OK, that's a stretch, but still, a safe answer.
E) Will it work without the grounding wire attached? The soldering came undone. It's still working atm - Well, since you answered your own question, the answer must be "Yes".

Now, analyzing the results of that, common sense says that you must fix the wire PROPERLY without causing more problems, or trash the device and get a new one.

I don't know your situation. But look, I've been broke and really didn't want to spend $$ on a $20 e-cig. But using a device that you are saying is busted, has a floating wire, and missing solder joints is unwise. Either fix it, or trash it. It COULD go bad and blow the battery and/or catch fire. Why risk it? Get a new one as soon as you can and don't turn your back on it when charging it.

:2c:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread