The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Is there a difference in atomizers?

Discussion in 'Tanks, clearomizers and drop-in coils' started by mn shutterbug, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mn shutterbug

mn shutterbug Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    I use the Kanger coils in my Isticks and some coils I use can last over a week or even close to 2 weeks before they start tasting nasty. This last bunch I got last me about 3 days before they start tasting nasty. I always look for the cheapest I can find of course.

2. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Well, cheap doesn't always equal authentic though I hope you are buying authentic. A lot of what happens to coil longevity has to do with juice type and wattage. If you have a thick, gunky, dark (maybe even colored) and sweet juice, you are going to have high gunk factors. If you have a clear juice that's maybe 50/50 PG/VG, your coil may last longer. Some folks also prefer to vape different juices at different wattages. Finally, some coils are duds. Some of these factors you can control, others not so much.

Anna

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Beamslider

Beamslider Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Cheap could equal fake coil.....But as @stols001 said juice and wattage used will matter too.

Look into coil building with an rda. = cheap and long lasting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mn shutterbug

Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    Well Anna, I do use 50/50 and the juice is between light and dark. I also vape at around 5 watts. However, I do add a drop of sweetener for every 1 1/2 tanks. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it.

Beamslider, could you please elaborate re: coil building or steer me to some info.

Thanks to you both.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Beamslider

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    what kanger atomizer are you using?

There is a forum here on RTA atomizers that allow building your own coils
    RTA

and forum dedicated to coil building
    Coil Builds

• Like Like x 1
  6. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Sweetener is a known coil killer. This is why I don't buy storebought juice, at least partially. If you are ADDING sweetener to storebought juice (unless it's tobacco or something, well, tobacco juices are also gunky) that could explain your issues.... I sweeten at about 1% (if that) and reserve some of my favorite juices (now) for my RTAs, which are Rebuildable tank atomizers, and Beamslider has pointed you in the correct direction to do more research on that. You can save on your coils, and keep that sweetener, or you can save on your juices and DIY those. Or, you know, both. :)

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  7. mn shutterbug

Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    This is what I'm buying for my Protank. Are these rebuildable and is it worth it for what they cost? s-l500.jpg

I did just figure out that soaking them in rubbing alcohol over night renders them usable again.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Beamslider

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Those are not designed to be rebuilt. but they can be if you are willing to learn how to do it. But you need wire and you need an ohm reader to check the coil before using it. But if you want to build coils you would be better off with a tank with a deck or rba.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Walee

Walee Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 6, 2017
    I'll second coil building. I think a person has to have an aptitude and of course a propensity to enjoy the activity. But with that said, it opens up a whole new world of better flavor, better fog, more control over battery life, better coil life, reduction of cost, and a plethora of atty options, and mod options, e.g. any atty can become a TC atty. Coil building transitioned vaping into a hobby for me. Of course that bloomed into dyi juices and moding as well after time but that was the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Marc411

Marc411 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    Back in the day I used to rebuild them and once you get a program together its fairly easy. Look for Mac's post on tension coils, it helped my rebuilding.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Marc411

Marc411 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mn shutterbug

Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    Thanks Marc.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Rubbing alcohol is NOT recommended.

Please only use alcohol fit for human consumption.

Cheers
    I

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Katya

Katya ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Yup. Sweet and dark and NETs (sediment, coloring, flavorings) are coil killers. I vape a lot of flavorless or nearly flavorless and my coils last forever.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Same here. Mac taught us all how to rebuild those tiny coils. It worked great. Even just rewicking and gentle dry burning would extend the life of those coils substantially.

The epic thread: Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!

Thanks, @MacTechVpr :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Not recommended.

It won't really make them clean--only potentially toxic. Do NOT soak in Isopropyl alcohol as there's no way to properly rinse off the insides of those coils. If you have to soak them, use Everclear (if you can get it your area) or cheap vodka. Denture cleaning tablets work much better than booze, BTW. Just dissolve one tablet is hot water and soak your coils. And rinse.

But honestly, learn how to rewick and dry burn (and rinse), even if you don't want to rebuild. You'll always have a clean wick and clean coil at your fingertips.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I don't know whether it's worth it to you or not. They were not designed to be rebuilt. Why don't you watch some YouTube tutorials and decide for yourself?

protank coil rebuild - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  18. mn shutterbug

Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    Actually, I rarely have to throw out a coil because it dies. They just start tasting bad so maybe I'll just rewick and dry burn them when they get the nasty taste.

Thanks fpr all the replies.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    On second thought, those coils may be difficult to rewick. IIRC, and if they're still made the same way as in the past, the wire may just be too thin and too fragile to withstand too much manipulation. Your best bet is to clean and very gently dry burn them and then rebuild using thicker wire--I like 29 g Kanthal. You can dry burn them without removing the wick if they are still using silica wicks. Then just rinse and repeat until the coil pops.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.