Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokills

Nov 3, 2018
Hi, thanks for reading,
Was cleaning my new uwell crown 3 atomizer and took a closer look at the underside of the coil and noticed something poking out of the bottom of the coil. Is this normal? Why? Thanks
Apologies photo was taken with a poor phone...

Attachments

• 1AB722B0-658B-4BB9-85B7-AF8019010753.jpeg
    1AB722B0-658B-4BB9-85B7-AF8019010753.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 51

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi, thanks for reading,
Was cleaning my new uwell crown 3 atomizer and took a closer look at the underside of the coil and noticed something poking out of the bottom of the coil. Is this normal? Why? Thanks
Apologies photo was taken with a poor phone...
Hi and welcome,

12.jpg

yes.
It is a coil leg trapped by the rubber gasket.
Does the coil/tank work properly?
Cheers
I

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Was getting a no coil detected from my aegis and I wondered if it had anything to do with it?
It looks like a manufacturing defect of the coil. I wouldn't use it.

This is the reason we generally don't use factory-made drop in coils on mechanical mods. Your regulated mod's protection circuitry gave you a display warning about the defective atomizer. A mech won't do that. If you vaped that coil on a mech it would probably short out the battery and cause it to vent, flame, or explode.

Last edited:

Smokills

Nov 3, 2018
It looks like a manufacturing defect of the coil. I wouldn't use it.

This is the reason we generally don't use factory-made drop in coils on mechanical mods. Your regulated mod's protection circuitry gave you a display warning about the defective atomizer. A mech won't do that. If you vaped that coil on a mech it would probably short out the battery and cause it to vent, flame, or explode.
sorry still newer to vaping, so should I be not using factory made drop in coils? And be using something else? Or will this eventually cause issues where it does short out ot flame/explode? Thanks!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
sorry still newer to vaping, so should I be not using factory made drop in coils? And be using something else? Or will this eventually cause issues where it does short out ot flame/explode? Thanks!!
You happened to get a dud coil. It happens. These things are made by the thousands by underpaid factory workers and its impossible to check every one before they leave the factory. You could say it was a matter of poor quality control.

Unless you learn to make your own wicks and coils for a rebuildable drip atomizer (RDA) or rebuildable tank atomizer (RTA), you'll need to stick with the simpler drop in coils made by the manufacturers. Rebuilding is rather advanced and probably not something you want to do as a new vaper.

You're currently using a regulated mod which has protection circuits to detect bad coils or short circuits. I suggest that you stick with this and just inspect your new coils before you use them next time.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
On further glance of the new ones, they all have a really small wire coming out, although the one I just pulled had one coming out either side, where the new ones only have one
Hey Smokills, congratulations on your new tank :) I looked it up and it's definitely interesting. Good thing you had that dud coil on a regulated mod. This just happens sometimes with stock coils. After a few packs of coils you should consider how many duds you got and calculate the true price of your coils. One of the leads being trapped between a little grommet and the outer casing like this is a really common way to isolate the negative post of the resistance inside your coilhead from the positive one. To check if you are ready to go after you popped in a new coil and juiced it up:
1. Turn your mod off and on again.
2. Check your mod, does it read an ohm value or do you see an error message? If it reads
3. Press the firing button shortly (really, just a quick click, 1 second or less)
4. Check if the resistance your mod is reading (the ohm-value) is within .2 ohms of the resistance advertised on the package of the coils.
If all these things work out, you're ready to go. Start vaping on your coil at a lower wattage, short drags, to break it in. As you use, up the wattage to your desired level and increase your drag to where you want it to be. Check the screen from time to time afterwards

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
Awesome, one other quick question I had, will juice get into the drip tip/air flow area no matter what? And I just have to clean it more often? or is something I'm doing throughout the day causing this?

Your coilhead is filled with a porous, absorbing material, such as cotton. Juice can get through. As you heat the juice, it becomes thinner and flow more quickly. This is great, because it gets to where it needs to be (the resistance inside) much quicker. After you stop vaping however, it takes a while to cool. Even cold juice will always seep through a little. The vacuum inside your tank helps stop this process. When you shake your device (for example while walking around or vaping) you disturb this vacuum a little. Things that can help you with this are going for a thicker juice (thinnest 100PG/0VG, thickest 95VG/5PG). The coils on this Uwell Crown 3 have big juice slots, so they will be able to handle a thicker juice better. Such thicker juices will also produce bigger clouds, but they will have less of a throat feel, making the experience more different from inhaling smoke.

Reactions: Smokills

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Awesome, one other quick question I had, will juice get into the drip tip/air flow area no matter what? And I just have to clean it more often? or is something I'm doing throughout the day causing this?
Sometimes that is simply condensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread