issue with TV tobacco and cartos dying left right and center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krprice84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
hey TV fans.. i got a question for you. i've bought some TV tobacco, TV tobacco caramel, and TV tobacco with light cloves added to it, all through gentlemen's reserve, and i ABSOLUTELY love them! i've been trying to find, for so long, a flavour that i actually truly enjoy vaping, and that the enjoyment lasts on. all the other flavours i've tried, i get sick of within a week or so.

my problem is, however, that with these juices, i seem to go through carto's like they're going out of style. i've tried kanger, boge, and smoktek, and all of them seem to gum up and get almost saturated with juice but won't wick into the coil. what happens after a day of vaping TV tobacco is, when i start getting a low carto, i will go to add some juice but only be able to get 0.1-0.2ml into it, then its totally full and will even start to drip from the bottom. i then go to vape and it lasts a very, very short time before i need to fill again, but again, it only takes a small amount of juice before its full. the filling in the cartos does look like its getting low-ish, but like i say, it just won't take hardly anything

is that because this juice is based on real tobacco, and that it gums up the carto somehow? can anyone tell me how to vape these juices and actually get more than a day out of my carto? Thanks!

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
The answer to one of your questions is that yes it's due to being made from tobacco leaves. Not all the tiny particles can be removed so the clog up everything. Is there a way around it? Not one that I know of. I like their tobacco juice so I just deal with having to replace the carto daily....a tank isn't too much better other than by a day.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
I don't go by time but by how much ej I use in the carto.

For me, the standard I use is one 6 ml bottle per carto (I am using Boge 306 2.0 ohmers).

In other words, I put together a 6 ml bottle of an ej flavor and it is dedicated to a given carto. When I use up that 6 ml bottle up, time to throw out that carto.

I have tobacco menthol in one of them right now and, yeah, due to it being made from real tobacco, it tends to clog up the cartos more than most (but, less than Cafe' Mocha). When this happens, I ram a medium sized paper clip up the hole in the boge and, unclog it (lol).

I haven't noticed having a problem with having to add ej more often but, in general, as I get towards the end of a 6 ml bottle, less taste, vapor, etc, than when the carto was new. But, usually still good enough to vape.

You might try adding some pg to the carto or, maybe a drop of vodca and see if that losens things up.

Let us know if you get any progress on this... might be of value to me and others.

Z

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
TV Tobacco Menthol is my daily vape (and has been for a loooong time). The CE2 cartos work best imo, but you'll still have to clean them after 2-3 fills. They give me better performance than regular filler cartos, and can be cleaned many, many times so they're more cost-effective too.

BanjoMan... how do you clean your cartos?

With the Boges, they have 'vertical coils'... in other words the heating element goes up one side all the ways to the end of the filler and then back down the other side. What this means is you can see clear through the center of these and I can ram a paper clip all the ways through. Yeah, it was just this morning when my Tobacco Menthol carto was all clogged up again and, gave it a work over ramming the paper clip through. Now works a lot better and I am almost at the end of the 6 ml bottle.

This is the only 'cleaning' I do on these cartos so am curious if you are talking about something more extensive.

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I clean my CE2's after about 3 fills. They're a top-coil horizontal design. I do them in batches to save time.

When I clean a batch I first break them down (remove the mouthpiece and gasket) and put about 3-4 drops of white distilled vinegar on the coil. After they sit with the vinegar on them for 2-3 days I put them in hot water and let them sit a day, then rinse with hot water until the run-off is pretty clean. Then I shake and blow them out and lay them out to dry for a day or two. After that it's just a matter of dry-burning them and refilling.

With the Boges, they have 'vertical coils'... in other words the heating element goes up one side all the ways to the end of the filler and then back down the other side. What this means is you can see clear through the center of these and I can ram a paper clip all the ways through. Yeah, it was just this morning when my Tobacco Menthol carto was all clogged up again and, gave it a work over ramming the paper clip through. Now works a lot better and I am almost at the end of the 6 ml bottle.

This is the only 'cleaning' I do on these cartos so am curious if you are talking about something more extensive.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
I clean my CE2's after about 3 fills. They're a top-coil horizontal design. I do them in batches to save time.

When I clean a batch I first break them down (remove the mouthpiece and gasket) and put about 3-4 drops of white distilled vinegar on the coil. After they sit with the vinegar on them for 2-3 days I put them in hot water and let them sit a day, then rinse with hot water until the run-off is pretty clean. Then I shake and blow them out and lay them out to dry for a day or two. After that it's just a matter of dry-burning them and refilling.

Interesting. From what I can tell, the CE2s are 2.8 ohms or so, while the Boges I have been using are 2.0 ohms.

Your cleaning sounds like my 'attempts' at cleaning atomizers, which unfortunately have not been very successful for me. I use the open bridge addys and on almost ALL EJ that I have tried, 'scabs' develop on the heating coil. Putting the open bridge addys under 10x magnification shows this clearly. I have tried distilled white vinegar, 98% EA rubbing alcohol, vodga, joy dish wasking detergent, and have even considered trying oven cleaner, but usually can't make much progress at all in removing the scabs. I guess maybe I wait too long before cleaning. Been thinking of getting a hypersound cleaner as I have heard some use those with good results.

Thanks for the response! I guess this is an ongoing thing with me. For now, except in a few cases with EJ that does not clog up addys, I have been going with the Boges.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Oh, on the need to refill the cartos after just a few vapes, the another thing here, is what percentage of VG you go with.

I saw something the other day where someone using 100% VG said he couldn't even get it to fill up a boge carto. Not at all for all practical purposes.

I usually go with 10% VG with my TV vapes. 20% is a popular choice out there these days.

Last edited:

taofishdude

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Clackamas, Oregon
I have a question Zaratoughda,

Do your vertical coils go up through the polyfill and down through the center tube of the carto, or up and back down through the polyfill/cotton outside the center tube? I've got some cartos for my 808D2 that arent vaping well and the coils all go through the center tube. The previous batch i got from this vendor had the coil in the polyfill only (outside the center tube), and vaped great. Trying to figure out if i need to return this batch.

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
I have a different problem with TV Tobacco - the resistance of my Boge 2.0 and 3.0 and Ressurectores 1.7 are going down to 1.2 - 1.4 after just couple hours of using them.
I am using Provari, for Boge 2.0 it's just 4 volts, for 3.0 it's 5 volts and for 1.7 it's a 3.7 volts.

When I feel burned taste it's already to late to lower the voltage and carto is ruined.

But I love this juice so lately I have been using it on a carto which I feel is on the last leg and need to be replaced anyway.

TheBlueAdept

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
Northern California
How weird! As I understand it (could be wrong here) , when metals heat up (eg coils in your cartos), typically resistance will eventually increase (thus decreasing the heat back down, etc etc.). Perhaps it reaches some steady state where it heats up due to current flow but also increases resistance which prevents it from increasing any further.

So I'm not sure what to think of resistance decreasing, other than maybe I am incorrect in my understanding of how it works or your problem description.

My Source (Wikipedia)

Last edited:

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
I have a question Zaratoughda,

Do your vertical coils go up through the polyfill and down through the center tube of the carto, or up and back down through the polyfill/cotton outside the center tube? I've got some cartos for my 808D2 that arent vaping well and the coils all go through the center tube. The previous batch i got from this vendor had the coil in the polyfill only (outside the center tube), and vaped great. Trying to figure out if i need to return this batch.

The 'coils' (heating element) on the Boge 306es run up through the polyfill and down inside the center tube.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
How weird! As I understand it (could be wrong here) , when metals heat up (eg coils in your cartos), typically resistance will eventually increase (thus decreasing the heat back down, etc etc.). Perhaps it reaches some steady state where it heats up due to current flow but also increases resistance which prevents it from increasing any further.

So I'm not sure what to think of resistance decreasing, other than maybe I am incorrect in my understanding of how it works or your problem description.

My Source (Wikipedia)

I just happenned on a few other threads today where they talk about resistance decreasing, could be fatal to ego and other batteries if the resistance decreases enough... and I believe they talked about this happenning due to shorts between the turns on the coils on attomizers.

But, we are talking about vertical heating elements here so... uh, the only thing I can think is the EJ is conducting some of the electricty.

This is just a guess.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Going back to the original post in this thread... as far as TV Tobacco or TV Tobacco Menthol clogging up cartos to the extreme... what was posted is very similar to a post I saw by someone using 100% VG... could hardly get it into the carto to start with.

I use 10% VG and Tobacco Mentol... clogs up cartos to a degree but I can ram a paper clip up there and unclog. Otherwise, I get through a 6 ML bottle with TM which is the standard I use for myself on EJ and cartos.

TheBlueAdept

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
Northern California
I just happenned on a few other threads today where they talk about resistance decreasing, could be fatal to ego and other batteries if the resistance decreases enough... and I believe they talked about this happenning due to shorts between the turns on the coils on attomizers.

But, we are talking about vertical heating elements here so... uh, the only thing I can think is the EJ is conducting some of the electricty.

This is just a guess.

Ah, yes the resistance would certainly drop in the event of a short, and a PV with no short-detection circuit could certainly have problems with that. I was picturing an intact coil simply changing back and forth as a function of heat, but this concern makes plenty of sense.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
I use cisco 306 atties and once before I had a 2.0 ohmer drop to 1.8 ohms or so, and a 1.8 ohmer drop to 1.7 or so.

So, with this I decided to test the two I am currently using and, one started out at 1.8 ohms and I measured it and, still 1.8 ohms. Another, started out at 1.7 ohms and is now down to 1.5 ohms. Yeah, this one is the one I have TV Cherry Cough Drop on but that has nothing to do with it.

Cisco warns against using their 1.8 ohm and 1.5 ohm atomizers on ego and the like batteries (which is what I am using), and I guess this is the reason. I had seen their 1.5 ohmers coming in at 1.3 ohms so I felt that could be dangerous. Joye of course sells their 1.5 ohmers which are in common use. I saw on a thread on this site that, 1.1 ohms is the point where it can kill your ego battery. I have stayed away from cisco 1.5 ohmers but use the 1.8 ohmers, even though they say 'use at your own risk'.

These are open bridge atties and, particularly if you pick the wick out, you can see the coil plain and clear, and I am familiar with Joye coils and by comparison the cisco coils seem much more regular. The Joyes sometimes are staggered to one side or another by comparison. The turns in the cisco coils are one right after another very neat but, maybe this is what causes them to short/drop in resistance. In other words, the turns in the coils are touching and that means a greater likelyhood for shorts.

Ug, this is not good (lol). I guess I could go back to the cicso 2.0 ohmers, or joye atomizers, but otherwise, guess I gotta keep an eye on the resistance of the one I am using.

Last edited:

TheBlueAdept

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
Northern California
Interesting data, and thank you for this info. It's my understanding that the concern is due to the tolerances involved, meaning that when you buy a carto of a given rating (eg, a 3.0 Ohm Single Coil), it could be anywhere from say 2.7 to 3.3; when you get into the lower resistance levels, the low end of the tolerance could be dangerous for devices unable to handle that load. If you take a dual-coil as an example, they are two single coils (wired in series I think?), so their true efficiency is even further from their stated ohm rating than the single coils.

I'd still like to understand why resistance ever drops under heat (if this is in fact true), when you consider things like superconductors have to be cold to conduct well (thus having lower resistance).

I mostly use 3.0 Single Coil and 2.5 Dual Coil Smok cartos in a 6ml tank, with a MOD that has short/load protection, so am not concerned, just curious. :)

LtrlHzrd

Verified Member
Oct 1, 2010
Los Angeles
I love TV tobacco, its by far the best tasting juice out there. However, after spending months trying different carto's. I am using an inferior juice but my carto's are lasting much longer and the experience is much better. Not bashing TV but figure they would want to know and wish i could use their juice. Their tobacco caramel is much better than any RY4 ive tried but the hassle was not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread