Istick 30w button fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read about some folks having an issue with their Istick30 button sticking on. I had this same problem recently and fixed it. Here is how I did it.

I am not responsible for any screw ups or damage you inflict on your istick. Go slow and use common sense.

I have only had my Istick30 for a few weeks and it started sticking after only a few days. It would at first not activate at all. Then it would stick wide open. It now works like a dream after some massaging. Here we go.

TOOLS NEEDED: Small eyeglass screwdriver - small pair of pliers - 1/8" drill bit - 00 steelwool - super glue - rubbing alcohol - Q tip

1. Remove any device attached and set aside out of the way.
2. Make sure any dampness is wiped away from all areas. You don't want fluid seeping into the internals.
3. There are ( 2 ) panels that cover the area around the buttons and screen. Note: There is also a protective clear material that covers the panels and screen from scratches ( just like a protective screen cover on an I phone ). You can remove this material if you wish. I did. The first panel is above the large "fire" button. It's a small square panel. The second panel will cover the rest of the side around the up and down buttons and around the screen. These panels are attached by some sort of a glue.
4. Using a very small straight blade screwdriver ( I used an eyeglass screwdriver like the one that comes in an eyeglass repair kit ) carefully pry the panels up and off by getting the screwdriver under an edge of the panel and prying it up until loose. Continue lifting until removed and set aside.
5. Now that both panels have been removed lets remove the "fire" button ( the large one that sticks ).
The "fire" button is nothing more than a square recessed button with a short stem on the bottom side. Nothing else is attached. You wont be messing up any wires or switches when this is removed so don't worry.
6. Using your small pliers, grab hold of the " flats" of the button and pull upwards away from the body of the istick. You may have to use a little force when doing this. You may also have to use the small screwdriver to get under the button and assist in its removal ( I did ). Be patient and go slow. It WILL come out.
7. Now that the "fire" button has been removed you will see the hole that the button stem goes into. This is where the problem of "sticking" occurs. That hole needs to be perfected.
8. Take your 1/8" drill bit and slowly stick it in the hole using a twisting motion as if your drilling a hole in wood. What you are doing here is cleaning the crap from inside the hole ( burrs ). Only go in a small amount. What we want here is a nice smooth hole with no burrs or obstructions for the "fire" button stem to operate.
9. Once the hole is clear and smooth we want to smooth the "fire" button stem as well. Using some 00 steel wool "polish" the stem of the "fire" button until smooth.
10. Do a "test" fit and operation to make sure everything is working as it should. There should be an audible click when activated. It may be very faint but a click should be heard if it's operating properly. If at any time the "fire" button hangs up or is still rough feeling, more polishing is needed.
11. Now that the button has been fixed it's time to re-assemble.
12. Take your Q-tip and soak it in some rubbing alcohol. Squeeze out any excess ( once again we don't want any fluids getting inside the unit ) and start cleaning off the residual glue left behind from the panels. Clean both the Istick panel areas as well as the panel itself. Allow both to dry.
13. Now place a small ( and I mean small ) drop of Super glue in the panel recesses of the Istick body and lay in the panels making sure no glue gets into the button areas.
14. Wipe the unit down and your now ready to go! :vapor:

This whole process only took me maybe 20 minutes. I sure hope this helps anyone with a sticking "fire" button. Sending the unit back for repair is a pain in the rear and sucks. This will fix it and your only out 20 minutes. If done properly you won't ever notice that the panel or button was ever touched.

AH1968

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2014
Brownsburg,IN. USA
Just so you are aware, I have an Istick 30W that continually fires, first I tried taking it apart and cleaning all the contact switches, which did allow me to be able to turn it on and off finally, however, it would power on, laying on the table, and proceed to fire again. I then found your post, and tried it. I enlarged the hole in the casing, and polished the push rod on the button, to the point it was a little sloppy when reassembled. The phantom firing continues I honestly believe there is an issue either with the switch itself, or in the chip. As this was given to me already broken, I don't have the option of returning it, but as I've been quite impressed with how it fires when working, I will be purchasing a new one, if I can find one for a good price. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone struggling with this same issue

Reactions: Ramsay Bolton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread