iStick problem...any way to troubleshoot? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiles2

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Gear used:

istick 20w
vamo v3
kayfun lite +
28ga kanthal 1.4 ohm coil
pure cotton
50pg/50vg juice

Anyway, long story short (i hope). Vape is tasting burnt over the last 2 days on my istick + kayfun. Not just a little but a lot. 1.4 ohms and if I put it all the way down to 6 watts on the istick it still tastes burnt. I then tried it on my old vamo and put it at 7 watts and all is good again. I put it up to 9 watts and it is still good. I realize the istick 20w is mean and not RMS and will fire hotter but this much and such a change in such a small amount of time?

Any ideas on what to do to "fix" the istick? Tried turning it off and on. Tried using it at full, half and 1/4 battery and still the same. My contacts appear to be fine, ohm reading accurate, threads in good condition and it is clean. It hasn't suffered any physical abuse.

I initially thought maybe it was an insulator issue on the kayfun posts but if it was the insulator it would taste like ..... on the Vamo as well. Insulator appears to look normal with no warp or melting.

Am at a loss here. Doubt the site I got it from would accept returns at all let alone 5 months.

Any suggestions to get her running again? Would like to try a few things before it goes to the bin of doom. I really do not want to buy it again and I really do not want to wield the lightsaber Vamo again...especially when out and about haha

Stiles2

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have been using it for just over 5 months now though. This burnt taste came suddenly. I didn't change the way I make my coils and almost every coil I make is bang on 1.4 ohms. Using the same juice also.

I have ruled out the coil being a problem as I made another fresh one and I get the same burning results.

I understand the mean/rms and the lack of stepdown but this sudden change makes no sense to me at all.

Maybe it just broke down and is malfunctioning?

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
I have been using it for just over 5 months now though. This burnt taste came suddenly. I didn't change the way I make my coils and almost every coil I make is bang on 1.4 ohms. Using the same juice also.

I have ruled out the coil being a problem as I made another fresh one and I get the same burning results.

I understand the mean/rms and the lack of stepdown but this sudden change makes no sense to me at all.

Maybe it just broke down and is malfunctioning?

If you look back through the iStick thread from the November/December timeframe, you'll note that many of us were having very strange regulation issues with the same symptoms you described. Mine started doing it pretty much within the first week. The opinion of most affected is that it's a problem with some boards and there is simply nothing you can do about it. The whole affair was why I ended up buying a Vaporshark DNA30...then an rDNA40...then an SX Mini...etc. I'm afraid there is nothing much you can do about it...some of them just fire wonky and extremely high. I was getting one day max out of an Aspire BVC coil that only saw 3-4ml of juice.

fogmust

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2015
New Jersey
All these problems with the isticks are making me worry... I have 3 of them (2x30, 1x50) and they are my only mods, except for some n00b innokin stuff.
I guess I got lucky with mine, but knock on wood, they've been perfect so far. One of the 30's got dumped in a glass of water by my son too, it dried and it's still running strong.

Stiles2

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I looked into my kayfun more and found a slightly melted insulator on the deck. I swapped it out and it seems back to normal on my istick. It wasn't melted much but I would assume any partially liquefied plastic would bring a nasty taste to the party. Been using my istick all day today and no burning or motor oil taste.

This doesn't really explain the vamo thing completely but I guess the vamo was not firing as hot as the istick was.

Thank you everyone for your replies and have a vapetastic week!! :)

Reactions: mgmrick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread