It Looked Like a Nova Head -- 1st Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Not sure when these came out, but I just broke into the package (ordered on the 6th). I've been rebuilding mine, but I buy new ones sometimes too.

I have the 1.8 ohm. These vape well. Good draw, good vape production. But they're a bit long. When I replace the top cap, I can feel it contacting the upper gasket when there's about 1mm (or maybe .75mm) left to go threading on the the cap, and I can't quite get it fully screwed on. Doesn't leak that I can tell, but I worry that I'm only just engaging the o-ring in the cap, and possibly damaging the top gasket on the head.

Not a huge deal for me, just thought you'd want to know. I'm using the Mini-Nova tanks.

ETA: Order #1149351

Last edited:

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Well ... :blink:

Turns out the top cap did come apart, I just didn't notice it right away - the top of the head just chewed right through the silicon. But the easy fix is to use the top cap from an older head, with that metal ring thing removed, and toss out the little spikey tube. Or that's what I'm trying anyway. Seems OK at first blush. I'll set it down sideways and see if it leaks -- I suspect it won't. The top cap does deform just a little.

I tried a new top cap, without the spikey tube, and it deformed too much. If you want, I'll get out my calipers and other such instruments, and take measurements.

I'll probably just stick to rebuilding my old heads. I must have at least 30 around here. Is it possible to get a supply of the insulator tubes? Those tend to get pretty gunky after 3 or 4 rebuilds, and I've succeeded only in destroying them in attempts to clean them. :)

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Pique?

coney_thing.jpg

ETA: Oh, I went looking. So, I have some aClear heads?

Well, I'll use 'em up.

Last edited:

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Looks like Stardust heads. They are taller than the nova heads....but just a bit.

Indeed. I've never looked at Smok tanks. I think my upstairs neighbor has one. I can give them to him, if an eGo-T will drive 1.8 without any issues.

Thx, Keela.

I'd change the thread title, if I could. :p

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
It should run just fine.....I ran 1.8 coils on my ego passthroughs once upon a time ;)

As for the thread title......it may lend a hand to others that have the same issue. So many different things out there, sometimes it's hard to keep them all straight. I have a little box full of unknowns :laugh: Figure one of these days I'll sit down and take the time to "attempt" to figure them all out :D

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
I'd change it to It Looked Like a Nova Head -- 1st Impression. :)

Waaay back, I had trouble running Cisco 1.8 atties on an eGo 900mAH, and burned up 2 Rivas. :ohmy: So, I'm paranoid. He just started vaping again, after giving up and going back to burners for a while, so I don't want to cause any setbacks.

Anyways, I just figured Vivi had changed 'em up a bit.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Double checked and was confirmed that there "shouldn't" be an issue. Only thing I can think of with the Rivas was that there was already some flaw in the chip or wiring.....but again, not knowing much about how they differ from the joye egos, I can't give any more than a wild guess ;)

The heads that you have already used...have you noticed a drop in the resistance as they got used or "gunked"? I don't recall having those issues with any of my stardust or nova heads, but it's been a tick since I've hit the stardusts hard. I noticed it more with my dripping atties before I went to the rebuildables. Typically they'd go back up after a good cleaning, but some just hit 1.5 or less and stayed there, even after a good cleaning.

I will say that my ego PT's are what I use now for my dry burning...and still don't have an issue with my 1.8 ohm builds.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
I think the Rivas just weren't up to the extra current draw. No matter now. Thanks for checking on the eGo.

I haven't checked resistance on gunky coils. I'll check next I have a DIY on its last legs. If it drops, and stays low even after cleaning, that implies a metallurgical event, such as a state change. I'm not a metallurgist, so I could only guess at stuff like that. But one would think that alloys such as NiChrome and Kanthal are specifically designed to not do things like that.

Also, good to know that it's still safe to order Nova heads.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
The heads that you have already used...have you noticed a drop in the resistance as they got used or "gunked"? I don't recall having those issues with any of my stardust or nova heads, but it's been a tick since I've hit the stardusts hard. I noticed it more with my dripping atties before I went to the rebuildables. Typically they'd go back up after a good cleaning, but some just hit 1.5 or less and stayed there, even after a good cleaning.

One of my DIY coils on the Nova is about pooped out. Still at 1.8. Quite a bit of gunk on it -- only 2 coils visible. I think I'll toss it now, though it's still working mostly OK.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
One of my DIY coils on the Nova is about pooped out. Still at 1.8. Quite a bit of gunk on it -- only 2 coils visible. I think I'll toss it now, though it's still working mostly OK.

yea....I don't have the ohm drop on any of my DIY coils.....and honestly, I can't think of any other atty that did it past the first sealed drippers I used to use....they were some odd ducks for sure. I never really paid that much attention to the stock coils on the nova heads either. I know some would go up (or appear to) from time to time, but never dropped lower than what they were originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread