Items needed for basic building of rsst rba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting the Rsst as an intro into building my own coils. It's getting too expensive buying kanger coils.

My question is, I will probably want to try a couple different ohm levels. What would I need as a checklist/shopping list to go with my RSST?

I am thinking of trying out around a 2.0 ohm build first and maybe between 1.5-1.8ish.

I see some people talk about the SS mesh, but not sure which number of the SS mesh to get, or what gauge of wire I should try first.

If anyone could give me a sort of basic, default, or generic, list of items I need to buy with the RSST I would be forever grateful!

Thanks for all the help.

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
The rsst is a great unit, however it is a genni and a hard build for first timers, I applaud you for making it your first RBA. what you will need is SS mesh 500 or 400 mesh you will need 28g kanthal wire and I would buy a 1 foot length of ekowool. You don't have to build with SS mesh though you can use silica, eko and cotton as well as SS wire and ceramic wicks. For stainless mesh.
Roll your mesh tightly set it in the hole of your RSST, it will have a glass or plastic tank so no worries about shorts let it go all the way to the bottom, now slip a 8mm length of the ekowool over the mesh wick, wrap your wire around the eko this will prevent shorts on the top end, secure your coil leads to the posts and give it a burn to make sure the coil heats properly. once your happy trim the top off the wick fill and enjoy

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting the Rsst as an intro into building my own coils. It's getting too expensive buying kanger coils.

My question is, I will probably want to try a couple different ohm levels. What would I need as a checklist/shopping list to go with my RSST?

I am thinking of trying out around a 2.0 ohm build first and maybe between 1.5-1.8ish.

Okay, you are where I was at a year ago, going through Kanger coils fast and getting tired of it. The RSST is my full time vape, and I use 400 mesh in mine, well torched and rolled tight, coiled with 26 kanthal for .7 ohm, but if you want to coil for 2.0 and 1.8 you might want to use 32 kanthal. BTW, what mod are you putting this on?

Shopping checklist: Mesh, kanthal, patience.

I use mine on a mech, and it would never occur to me to use it on anything else, but I suppose people do it. It just seems like such a strange idea to me. I also would never put silica over my wick, I've never had a reason to, bare mesh has always worked dandy for me, but whatever floats yer boat.

I start with a strip of 400 mesh 3 in. by 1 3/8ths in. torch it well on both sides, fold over a thin part on the end I'm going to roll toward, roll it up tight, saturate with juice, burn that off, roll as tight as I can get it, and do another juice burn-off. I wrap a coil of 26 kanthal on a plastic Q-tip stick 5/4 wrap for .7 ohm, stick that on the Q-tip stick into the wick hole, lock down the ends, check the ohms, pull out the Q-tip stick, then twist the wick into it in the direction it's rolled in. Check ohms again.

I put the RSST on the mech, pulse it to see if the coil glows evenly, if not I work out the hot spots with a dental pick until it glows evenly top to bottom. Note that you have to be gentle with glowing coil loops, it takes very little to move them.

This has always worked for me, and I get a very satisfying vape from it, but with 32 kanthal it might be a problem getting the wick to slip into the coil, 32 is a lot easier to bend than the 26 I use. You might want to just wrap that stuff straight on the wick. I'm not sure how many wraps you need for 1.8-2.0 ohms, I've not vaped that high since my Protank/eGo days and never did on my RBA's.

Last edited:

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
I also would never put silica over my wick, I've never had a reason to, bare mesh has always worked dandy for me, but whatever floats yer boat.

the Ekowool is for prevention of shorts and so you don't have to torch your mesh its the best way to get a new builder into a genni and have no issues with time they can expand into torching and not using the eko to isolate the wick from shorting. that said there is no difference in the taste or function doing this way actually I think it wicks a little better. with torching mesh its easy for new builders to over do it and leave the mesh still be conductive. As it starts out conductive then oxidizes to no conductive and if heated to far burns the oxidation and becomes conductive once again. On gennys like the Kraken that's a dead shorted coil and wick if its not kept perfectly centered in the non insulated hole. I use cotton on my Gennys so I never have a shorting issue, but I did use SS mesh for quite some time.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
the Ekowool is for prevention of shorts and so you don't have to torch your mesh its the best way to get a new builder into a genni and have no issues with time they can expand into torching and not using the eko to isolate the wick from shorting.

Gotcha, makes sense, however, the great PBusardo shows us how to use the pulse method instead, albeit with minimal torching. Personally I find nothing at all difficult about torching. I believe you can use the pulse method without torching and it will oxidize the wick where it comes into contact with the coil loops.

Phil demonstrates here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnuYJeoS6Fc

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I use a 5/64 drill and wrap 30ga 6 over 5 under for 1.5-1.7 ohms. Then twist a 1/2 x 2 inch piece of cotton ball and feed it to the bottom of the tank. Cut it off a bit above the coil and fluff it out. Wet the wick well and fill the tank. And yes I have to tilt a bit.

To build a genny with cotton is to build it as something it is not. If you're going to do that you might as well just get a dripper.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
to start building, one only needs wick, wire and an ohm meter, can pick up the other tools as one goes on. I used my gas range for awhile, to oxidize mesh and anneal wire. Works, but find a nice butane torch much handier. lol. I've picked up some nifty tools along the way. At Michael's Hobby, picked up a nice tool set of tweezers, needle nose pliers, wire clipper. Also a winding coil jig.... as one goes on, find things that are nice, but don't need right away. Used the ohm meter on my mod when first started, but now use a dedicated atomizer ohm meter, much more accurate and easier to use. Mine will even measure the voltage drop in my mods. Pretty kewl. lol Start off slow and grow with it.

The rsst is a great unit, however it is a genni and a hard build for first timers, I applaud you for making it your first RBA. what you will need is SS mesh 500 or 400 mesh you will need 28g kanthal wire and I would buy a 1 foot length of ekowool. You don't have to build with SS mesh though you can use silica, eko and cotton as well as SS wire and ceramic wicks. For stainless mesh.
Roll your mesh tightly set it in the hole of your RSST, it will have a glass or plastic tank so no worries about shorts let it go all the way to the bottom, now slip a 8mm length of the ekowool over the mesh wick, wrap your wire around the eko this will prevent shorts on the top end, secure your coil leads to the posts and give it a burn to make sure the coil heats properly. once your happy trim the top off the wick fill and enjoy

Thanks. What size (#mm?) ekowool would I want to use or regular silica mm size?

Okay, you are where I was at a year ago, going through Kanger coils fast and getting tired of it. The RSST is my full time vape, and I use 400 mesh in mine, well torched and rolled tight, coiled with 26 kanthal for .7 ohm, but if you want to coil for 2.0 and 1.8 you might want to use 32 kanthal. BTW, what mod are you putting this on?

Shopping checklist: Mesh, kanthal, patience.

I use mine on a mech, and it would never occur to me to use it on anything else, but I suppose people do it. It just seems like such a strange idea to me. I also would never put silica over my wick, I've never had a reason to, bare mesh has always worked dandy for me, but whatever floats yer boat.

I start with a strip of 400 mesh 3 in. by 1 3/8ths in. torch it well on both sides, fold over a thin part on the end I'm going to roll toward, roll it up tight, saturate with juice, burn that off, roll as tight as I can get it, and do another juice burn-off. I wrap a coil of 26 kanthal on a plastic Q-tip stick 5/4 wrap for .7 ohm, stick that on the Q-tip stick into the wick hole, lock down the ends, check the ohms, pull out the Q-tip stick, then twist the wick into it in the direction it's rolled in. Check ohms again.

I put the RSST on the mech, pulse it to see if the coil glows evenly, if not I work out the hot spots with a dental pick until it glows evenly top to bottom. Note that you have to be gentle with glowing coil loops, it takes very little to move them.

This has always worked for me, and I get a very satisfying vape from it, but with 32 kanthal it might be a problem getting the wick to slip into the coil, 32 is a lot easier to bend than the 26 I use. You might want to just wrap that stuff straight on the wick. I'm not sure how many wraps you need for 1.8-2.0 ohms, I've not vaped that high since my Protank/eGo days and never did on my RBA's.

Thanks for the tips. I will be using it on a mech as well. I have a sentinel clone, and a promod coming. I also will be trying it on my ego-c to see how it works.

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
most times your wick will roll up to around 1.5-2mm diameter I use 2mm ekowool its hollow and will slip rite over the end of the rolled mesh. you only need a small length say 8mm long so a foot of it will last a long time. Of all the gennis I have the rsst is my favorite for vapor taste the Kraken is a great unit and is better looking but just doesn't produce flavor like the Rsst.

Last edited:
most times your wick will roll up to around 1.5-2mm diameter I use 2mm ekowool its hollow and will slip rite over the end of the rolled mesh. you only need a small length say 8mm long so a foot of it will last a long time. Of all the gennis I have the rsst is my favorite for vapor taste the Kraken is a great unit and is better looking but just doesn't produce flavor like the Rsst.

Great to hear that! Cool, I'll pick up some 2mm ekowool with my wire and mesh. I am looking forward to getting my rsst and materials to start learning how to rebuild.

Thanks for the help

Raav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread