I've heard a lot of success stories....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotarubi

Oct 12, 2015
Hi, I'm new here, but did lurk some a while ago.

I'll try to keep this short: I tried cig-a-likes and promptly bought two ego batteries and was totally hooked. A few weeks later I had two mechs with kicks, several batteries and rda's, and tons of flavours. I almost liked mixing ejuice more than vaping them, lol! Six months later I still smoked cigarettes occasionally, but then lost my nitecore charger during a relocation, and had a stressful period, so I started smoking full time again. AND for some reason totally forgot how much I loved to vape for several months!!! Until now...I've been vaping for three weeks again and cut down from twenty cigarettes to three per day.

Now I am afraid this could happen again. I always hear stories about people quitting immediately they try vaping, but never about anyone who struggle. Are there anyone else here who share a different story or something similar to mine?

Eitje

Sep 2, 2015
Yup.... Tried vaping when it was brand spanking new here where I'm from. (Some things were a bit behind lol)
Bought my first set, smoked my own rollers for some time still. My ego battery blew up and grabbed back to my regular tobacco and papers for a while as I couldn't agree with the disposables. Weeks later my new evic arrived. Took me another few weeks to totally get rid of the stinkies which I smoked for nearly 20 yrs.

It isn't easy, giving up what you're used to.
Gets easier though once you completely throw them out. It will hurt, it will pull on you, people around you still smoke ... Its not easy at first.
2 -3 weeks in you'll feel a lot better in many ways.

When you try, make sure you have supplies and backups to carry you for at a least few weeks.
Order something nice online that will arrive after two weeks, have something as a reward and to look forward to...
All little things help. Good luck:)

Hotarubi

Oct 12, 2015
When you try, make sure you have supplies and backups to carry you for at a least few weeks.
Order something nice online that will arrive after two weeks, have something as a reward and to look forward to...
All little things help. Good luck:)

Thanks for the encouragement! Yep, I have a couple of vapemails that will arrive in two and four weeks! :)

Hotarubi

Oct 12, 2015
Yes that's always good to have something on the way. Make sure your liquid is high enough in nic too at first. Make sure you have one to make you spin and sick if need be and in case you really need a cig. You can always cut back later on the nic once you settled into vaping only.

I've experimented with different strengths, but since I'm used to smoke several cigarettes per day with no more than 0.5 mg nicotine, I now vape all the time instead, and it kinda makes me feel sick even with low nic levels.

Last edited:

nmackan

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Turkiye
You have to strip from your habits first
-smoke when awake
- smoke after a meal
- smoke before going to sleep
- smoke together with tea coffe etc.
These are holywood tricks which made us smokers.
If you are a fan and watch old movies you should think they are not movies but cigarette advertisements. (I dont know why)

You have to adapt transition. This is for your own health, you still have smoke substitude vape as good as actual coffin nail.
you grab e-cig before you light a cigarette. Keep telling yourself I can smoke a cigarette but vaping is more healthy and better.
Also think of the new senses like smelling tasting after cigarettes.

And have spare of everything you can think regarding vaping.

Good luck my friend. my luck was finding the right liquid even with my first try. I had told myself if there is this who smokes a cigarette? and never smoked one afterwards (Except when I bought a fake liquid and try to find genuines desperately I smoked 7 cigarettes which I had rolled for the way to e-cig shop)

Hotarubi

Oct 12, 2015
You have to strip from your habits first
-smoke when awake
- smoke after a meal
- smoke before going to sleep
- smoke together with tea coffe etc.

Thanks for your helpful reply! Everything you mentioned are my typical pitfalls. Especially the tea. I drink about 10-12 cups of jasmine green tea every day, and nothing I vaped taste very good with it and I tried several tobacco flavours too. (Although these go very well with coffee or chai). I'm open to suggestion if any knows of a good flavour combo with jasmine tea!

Reactions: nmackan

Hotarubi

Oct 12, 2015
If you still have the ego batteries and tanks for them, you could keep those as a secondary backup.
Yes, I'm smoking my ego and aspire bdc now while waiting for new batteries and charger. I'll probably order another one as last backup just in case...the quality seems good, still working perfectly after a year, however the vape is not fantastic :)

Hotarubi

Oct 12, 2015
Having a couple liter stash of nic in the freezer and some PG/VG and flavors if you want them plus a couple reliable mods, a couple RDAs or RTAs and a spool or three of wire and a bag full of wicking will stave off any fear of not having your nic fix ;)

I still have a lot of flavours and nic juices from my short diy period. They have been sitting in my fridge most of the time (about a year), but I wonder if the juices has deteoriated much?

thedeval

Aug 18, 2015
Foggy Hills
I had a professor in collage explain that the easiest way to break the habit of smoking was to simply "close your eyes every time you started to take a puff, and keep them closed until after you have exhaled."

His logic... Smoking is as much visual as physical... and breaking the brains desire to "see the act of smoking" is just as important as the bodies craving for Nic. According to him... (???) given enough time, you the smoker will "forget" or start to repress your unconscious awareness of the visual image of smoking, and actually start to feel stupid standing outside with your eyes closed and start to feel like you are blowing just air out of your mouth instead of smoke...

It does make some since to me... even if I don't know how true it is... Just thought I would put this out there as food for thought.

Reactions: Hotarubi

TheLordWinter

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2010
Detroit, MI
I didn't quit the first time I tried with ecigs. Cigalike batteries and sponge inserts with crazy harsh nicotine did nothing for me five or six years ago, and I gave up after a month or two. This time, however, completely different story. Got a kit for other things that had a 510 threaded battery, put a Kanger on it and realized things have come a long way. That led to an iStick 50w and some RDA's, then to an XCube II, some 18650's and a DIY juice kit. Haven't smoked a cig since July 24, 2015. Longest I've been off cigs since I started back in 2001, previous best was a month.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Back-ups for the back-ups. Since I am usually near my car, I created a very complete kit in a Tupperware container and kept it there. I also had a very complete kit in the house when the weather was slightly bad and I didn't want to go out to the car. I had no excuses. If I thought I might possibly be better off with it, I bought it. I purposely started at 36mg and switched to 24mg in a couple of days. I don't think I wasted any money even if I did spend more in the first year than I spent for a year of smoking.

I made sure I had no excuses.

Slowly...without withdrawal frustration, I am now at 3mg. Sometimes I forget to vape and sometimes I purposely go out to the front porch, sit in the rocker, and vape.

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
I still have a lot of flavours and nic juices from my short diy period. They have been sitting in my fridge most of the time (about a year), but I wonder if the juices has deteoriated much?
The flavors should be fine..and the nic after a year as long as the containers are full with little or no air in them should be ok...they may have a little more "nic" flavor now than when you put them away especially if there's air in the bottles...but the nic will still be good.

Best to store in the freezer with as little air in the bottles as possible to keep them fresh. Some say that it's good for 10 years plus that way. I know that some of my nic that's been in my fridge for over a year is as good as the day I received it. I store it in 120 ml amber boston rounds and when I need a new one I split a bottle into two 60 ml bottles and return one to storage. My flavors are in my mixing desk drawer and my PG and VG are in the fridge. The bulk of my nic is in the freezer (I calculate enough for 10 to 11 years at my current usage rate ;) )

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
The flavor that I found that seems most like smoking is no flavor at all..."unflavored".

Oh, and stay away from apple crumb cake. Three years ago when I was quitting I had a piece of apple crumb cake. We have a couple of apple trees so this is kind of a staple food group in my house. Anyway, I have read no peer reviewed research that verifies that apple crumb cake causes strong cravings for a cigarette, but I can assure you that it does. Worst craving I ever experienced.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The bulk of my nic is in the freezer (I calculate enough for 10 to 11 years at my current usage rate ;) )
I wish everybody would put a liter of 100mg nic in the freezer even if they don't do DIY. I've decided to keep 3 liters in the freezer. It's dirt cheap insurance and a political statement. If the nic supply isn't threatened after all I can turn it over fast by mixing for free for my friends.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
If i misplaced my charger, i'd be at a vapeshop buying a new one before my last battery run out. Everything else i have backups and supply of.
I am one of those that switched from one day to the next, but i'd be lieing if i said that it didn't take a good bit of willpower for the first two weeks (was a 2 pad smoker). Device was too small (Ego) and juice was too weak.

In my mind, i was never considering as 'quitting to smoke', and didn't pressure myself. Mostly i considered it as a promising self-experiment and later a switch to something better tasting, more healthy and in end also cheaper way of smoking.
The best advice i can give is to finish whatever cigarettes you have and stop buying them. When i felt cravings, i bought vapegear instead, looking for a better vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread