Janty eGo usb battery/passthrough setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokeyjoe

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2009
Preston, UK
I'm really not sure about your last question - I'm just not sure. And I'm wordy, so I answered that one first...

I will do an experiment tomorrow and take it off the usb when I wake up - generally I keep it plugged in either at the computer or in the car, but I've been curious about the battery life too so I'll report back in tomorrow with how long the charge lasts.

My concern was that vaping while charging will reduce the lifetime of the battery. That's not the time between charges but how long (weeks, months) it will last before failure. Lithium Ion batteries are only good for a certain number of charging cycles, laptops etc have circuitry which prevents constant charging when they're used plugged in. I don't want to be constantly slightly discharging and recharging this if I'm vaping while plugged in and ultimately kill the battery.

To be honest, as I have a passthrough now I probably won't use it this way anyway, it's mainly the convenience of charging that really appeals to me, but it would be nice to know.

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
My concern was that vaping while charging will reduce the lifetime of the battery. That's not the time between charges but how long (weeks, months) it will last before failure. Lithium Ion batteries are only good for a certain number of charging cycles, laptops etc have circuitry which prevents constant charging when they're used plugged in. I don't want to be constantly slightly discharging and recharging this if I'm vaping while plugged in and ultimately kill the battery.

To be honest, as I have a passthrough now I probably won't use it this way anyway, it's mainly the convenience of charging that really appeals to me, but it would be nice to know.

Gotcha - it is a concern with any of these batteries, honestly. So, one month down and no problems with it - and four hours into being unplugged but I'm going to have to end the experiment for today as I've got to work a concession stand today and want to make sure I'm charged for it. ;)

mokeyjoe

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2009
Preston, UK
Gotcha - it is a concern with any of these batteries, honestly. So, one month down and no problems with it - and four hours into being unplugged but I'm going to have to end the experiment for today as I've got to work a concession stand today and want to make sure I'm charged for it. ;)

Well mine came already, so I guess I can find out for myself now. I have to say this is a real contender for the smartest looking ecig around. I was lusting after the GG slim but this comes really close, with the added benefits of 'all day' battery life and USB charging/passthrough function.

It can be very discreet as well. It looks a lot like a slightly chubby fountain pen and nestles neatly into the palm of my hand with my thumb sitting on the switch, so I don't need to smoke it like a metal cigar. The stainless finish is superb, and doesn't attract fingerprints. It looks perfect with the tapered metal drip tip. As well as the looks the build quality is superb. Everything feels top quality and screws together beautifully.

I did find out when I got it that my LR atty was a 901 not a 510, I'd ordered the wrong one! I had to take my regular atty off my passthrough, but it still works great. Vapour is excellent, maybe not quite as voluminous as my passthrough, but not considerably less - more what I'd expect from a cigarette , and I'm sure the LR atomiser will make a difference when it arrives (the right one this time!)

This is my first eGO and I'm not sure about the cone. The draw is noticeably 'stiffer' with it in place, only slightly and while it doesn't bother me greatly I do like an easy draw. It would be nice if they did a ventilated one with a couple of holes in.

That and there should be an on/off switch IMO, to prevent accidental activation when pocketed. Although the switch has a nice 'clicky' resistance to it, I can imagine if it were in my jeans and I sat down then it could turn on. I'd rather not unscrew the atty each time, one reason I like it is that I never need to dismantle it unless the atty blows.

Last edited:

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
Thanks Shanagan, I just ordered from Janty :). I also order an eGo wall adapter as well so I can use that instead of jeopardizing my computer stability, I hope that will work, lol! They also have some nice drip tips so I got a one of those and paid the $15+ for an atomizer because of it's 6 mo warranty. Janty is a funny company, when I proceeded to check out, it automatically checks the $28+ shipping option, YIKES! I can't imagine too many people using that option, lol!

Now I'm gonna have to hone my "POSTMAN STALK" moves. Out to the empty mailbox and puts up flag....every half hour or so, goes to the window...I bet she gets frustrated that she keeps having to put down the flag when I don't have anything to send out....better get her a Starbucks gift card 'cause I've been doing that a lot since I started vaping, lol!

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
Debb & Mokey, whatcha think now? Mokey - funny how our impressions were just spot on identical when it comes to the quality feel of it.

lmrasch, I think you're going to love it - I realized yesterday I'd taken mine off the charger at about 9:30 or so in the morning, and was still going strong when I was supervising after-dinner-cleanup, so that was about 12 hours. (We eat late around here.) I thought about popping it back on the charger, but then I went in to watch TV with my husband for a couple more hours. We went to bed at 11:40 and I plugged it back in then.

I don't think anyone could complain about 14 hours - I hope that's the rule and not an exception!

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
Debb, I totally understand! I think I'm going to buy an anodized drip tip for mine in the next few days. Decisions, decisions.
l_10d1718799794136a4f8e74dc2ba908f.jpg

IOWN

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
BC
Well mine came already, so I guess I can find out for myself now. I have to say this is a real contender for the smartest looking ecig around. I was lusting after the GG slim but this comes really close, with the added benefits of 'all day' battery life and USB charging/passthrough function.

It can be very discreet as well. It looks a lot like a slightly chubby fountain pen and nestles neatly into the palm of my hand with my thumb sitting on the switch, so I don't need to smoke it like a metal cigar. The stainless finish is superb, and doesn't attract fingerprints. It looks perfect with the tapered metal drip tip. As well as the looks the build quality is superb. Everything feels top quality and screws together beautifully.

I did find out when I got it that my LR atty was a 901 not a 510, I'd ordered the wrong one! I had to take my regular atty off my passthrough, but it still works great. Vapour is excellent, maybe not quite as voluminous as my passthrough, but not considerably less - more what I'd expect from a cigarette , and I'm sure the LR atomiser will make a difference when it arrives (the right one this time!)

This is my first eGO and I'm not sure about the cone. The draw is noticeably 'stiffer' with it in place, only slightly and while it doesn't bother me greatly I do like an easy draw. It would be nice if they did a ventilated one with a couple of holes in.

That and there should be an on/off switch IMO, to prevent accidental activation when pocketed. Although the switch has a nice 'clicky' resistance to it, I can imagine if it were in my jeans and I sat down then it could turn on. I'd rather not unscrew the atty each time, one reason I like it is that I never need to dismantle it unless the atty blows.

I stopped putting my ego in my pocket on day one. Drilled two small holes in the cone and used a mini key ring to attach a lanyard. It's solid and I get a looser draw because of the holes. I haven't posted this mod for fear someone would void their warranty. I needed a solid lanyard as I'm near water almost all day. See my avatar picture. You can also purchase a button cover for .90 cents from china.

Waiting for my usb battery in the mail, cant wait to get it!

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
Hey Shanagan, I ordered eGo usb batt after reading this thread, thanks for posting :). It came in the mail on Saturday and it is really handy, I charge mine through a wall adapter and it's working great. I do have a question about the warmth at the batt/connection part of the pv...when you are using yours, does it feel warm in your hand while it's connected through the usb?
Thanks ~ L.

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
Thrilled you're liking it. :) Yep, sometimes just a bit warm, enough to notice, but never hot.

Oh good, I was wondering if the warmth might have something to do with using the wall adapter. It is just a bit warm and not hot so I guess everything is working PERFECTLY! I actually find this so easy to use and love the fact that I can just disconnect, screw the cap on and am good to go out and about with no worries of a dead batt.
Thanks again :)

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
And now Rob from goodprophets.com is carrying them and in colors! YAY, but my checkbook says BOO!

Liberty Flights also has them in colors and right now you can but them for only $20.79 plus $2.99 shipping if you use the 20% off discount code august20 - I ordered a green one Sunday and it shipped yesterday! I can't wait!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread