Japanese mint oil & eucalyptus oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernBliss

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ga, USA
Just a warning, oils crack plastics. I've used eucalyptus oil myself and it can be a nice almost floral addition in small amounts. It can clear your head in larger amounts. That is one of the reasons it has been used in products that are inhaled for years. Keep your amounts low to very low until you have experience with them. When I say low I mean a small drop per 10ml to start and work up from there if you need to.

calico21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2011
next to a corn field,IL
I work with homemade soap as well, although I don't know about these two oils in particular be VERY, I STRESS VERY careful with natural oils. Some can be mighty dangerous even though we here about the essence(smell) of them on a regular basis. Please make sure about your specific 2.
ETA:
If consumed internally at low dosage as a flavouring component or in pharmaceutical products at the recommended rate, cineole-based 'oil of eucalyptus' is safe for adults. However, systemic toxicity can result from ingestion or topical application at higher than recommended doses.[17]
The probable lethal dose of pure eucalyptus oil for an adult is in the range of 0.05 mL to 0.5 mL/per kg of body weight.[18] Because of their high body surface area to mass ratio, children are more vulnerable to poisons absorbed transdermally. Severe poisoning has occurred in children after ingestion of 4 mL to 5 mL of eucalyptus oil.[19][20]

Last edited:

SouthernBliss

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ga, USA
.05 ml would be about 1 drop. So in order to have a 10 ml mix that exceeded that amount (assuming that in fact you would get all the oil and none would be lost in the rest of the vapor) you would need an approximately 5% of eucalyptus oil in the mix. I've mixed it at about 2.5 and I'm pretty sure at 5% it would be totally un-vapable due to the flavor. I suspect the same is true for any of the mints including peppermint and all of the citrus flavors as well.

SouthernBliss

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ga, USA
When people say oil is not recommended or bad for you I always wonder why they are not clear to explain that includes flavors like cola, citrus, mints including peppermint, wintergreen and spearmint, many absinthe/anise flavors and so on. It also should be pointed out that if oils are going to be avoided more natural flavors will need to be avoided than artificial. Nets including flavor types already mentioned as well as coffee, cocoa and tobacco (since those oils are widely used to flavor cigarettes and other tobaccos).

eikon

slave to the comma
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
you would be surprised how many flavors are oil based, if there is alcohol in the mix than it's a good bet there is an oil in it. the problem is most vendors like to simply list "natural and artificial flavors" so you just assume that it's pg based. This is another reason I'm such a TFA Fanboy.
Mtn. Dew Type Flavor
Natural & Artificial Flavors, Propylene Glycol, Ethyl Alcohol, Vitamin E
-----------
Absinthe Flavor
Natural Flavors (Contains Star Anise Essential Oil), Ethyl Alcohol
-----------
Grape Juice Flavor
Artificial Flavors, Propylene Glycol

Use PGA to cut the oils and keep the mix heavy on the PG

Last edited:

thejaker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2013
La Jolla, CA
www.nudenicotine.com
please be careful when using a lipid-based flavoring that hasn't been vaidated for vaporization at their flash points. With untested large lipid-based molecules, conditions such as lipid pneumonia can result. For the sake of your health, I would not recommend it :)

Lipid pneumonia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Also note that lipid pneumonia is most commonly found in professional fire eaters and fire eaters do not use mint or eucalyptus oils in their work. Eucalyptus, spearmint, and peppermint have been part of vapor treatments since before my grandmother was a tot and is not usually lumped in with vegetable and mineral oils.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think that Frequency and Dosage has to be Considered whenever an e-Liquid Ingredient is Discussed.

A Blueberry Flavoring in a certain Blueberry Muffin may be Considered GRAS to Eat. But how many people are going eat Blueberry Muffins every waking hour of the Day? Every waking hour to the Tune of 1ml or so of that Flavoring / Day.

Putting a Few Drops of Some Oil into Steaming Water to Clear your Head when you have the Sniffles is one thing. I wouldn't recommend a person using Any Oil based Flavoring for their Day to Day e-Liquid.

But like I said Before, this is Just Me.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Eh, I was leary too until Rollygate vaped nothing but DIY made with mint oil for over 9 months straight and then others joined in. Then I started doing some research and drew my own conclusions.

I use some oils and don't have any issues to add to the above statement.

I'm more concerned with polycarb, release agents, and some adhesives in the hardware than I would be some small amount of mint oil in my vapor, but that is why everyone has to make their own risk assessment and go from there.

thejaker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2013
La Jolla, CA
www.nudenicotine.com
Great comments Hoosier and Zoidman :) It's all about relativity.

And Hoosier, that's crazy! I never think about the day to day problems of fire-eaters (and I don't think the normal man does). I want to ask some MD friends of mine and see what cases of lipoid pneumonia they've seen before and from what causes. some interesting info to know

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana

And Hoosier, that's crazy! I never think about the day to day problems of fire-eaters (and I don't think the normal man does). I want to ask some MD friends of mine and see what cases of lipoid pneumonia they've seen before and from what causes. some interesting info to know

Yeah, I was surprised when I read about the demographic for the lipid P. I figured it would be the people who man the french fry tubs or the the broaster vats...or maybe the popcorn maker for the big multiplex...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Yeah... It is Relative in Many Ways.

If you tell you someone that they have a 1 in 175,000 Change of getting Cancer by taking 1 Hit of a Certain an e-Liquid, most people will Snicker and say "I'll take my Chances".

But if you next tell them that if you take 120 Hits a Day for 4 Years you will have taken 175,800 Hits, then they will Usually Blink a Few Times.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
They will because if you give an increase in incident of 10% for a behavior, most folks mistakenly assume that it is a 100% certainty if they do the the behavior 10 times.

Example: Say that vaping increases the incident of cancer by 0.2%...Many will conclude that 1 vaper in 50,000 vapers will get cancer due to vaping. The conclusion is wrong, but it's not a big deal here because the fact statement was made up. It's an unfortunate reality that many people to make erroneous conclusions like this often though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread