Johnson Creek - So whats the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
I, too, have used Johnson Creek exclusively for almost 2 years.

Taste is completely subjective; either you'll like their juices or you won't. But you can't fault them on professionalism, quality, customer service, dedication, and attention to details. (And I also have absolutely no affiliation with them or any other vendor.)

To clear up some confusion earlier in this thread: they have two lines of juices. One (original) is all PG, and the other (Red Oak) is all VG. They don't have a PG/VG mix any more. Their ingredients list both because it's an "or" situation. Either the bottle contains VG or it contains PG. Otherwise, the listed ingredients are the same.

I still use both, but prefer their Red Oak Domestic above all else. That's the one flavor I don't think I could ever do without.

LegioX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
Whatever isolated issues they may have had seem to me to be over....look at it this way, if they made 10 defective products and all 10 people ranted all over the Internet with videos that makes a huge impact. On the other hand, if it was a problem with every producted produced, for say an entire month, thats an issue. Like I said initially I haven't heard any negative feedback as of late 2010 / early 2011, so whatever problem seems to be resolved.

At any rate...the lack of recent praises may have been the effect of immediate and permanent turn-offs to any and all affected by or aware of any issues JC may have had in the past... and are too skeptical to renew their dealings with them, or feel no justification is possible after what had happened.

Thats just my 2cents of theorizing possible scenarios lol, I'll be trying these juices and if any of them are great, I'll be an exclusive ejuice consumer of JC

LegioX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
@GregH
Glad to see a committed JC juice user ! And you're right about the way they present themselves, including all the extra goodies you get such as dropper bottles and glass bottles etc., and it also seemed to me that they send free samples with all their juice orders? I've seen them write "put what juice you would like to try in your order comments and we will send you a sample". I'm not sure if they do this 100% of the time, and if you lack a request they send you one randomly, however FREE samples are always a selling point for me. If a company can give away a product knowing you'll most likely buy more then that is quite reassuring in terms of the product and the company itself.

Greg, am I reading this wrong? From what I'm looking at it seems that the PG line also has VG in it?
excerpt from the JC site:

A: Johnson Creek Original Smoke Juice is happy to furnish our ingredient list! In fact, we list our ingredients right on the bottle.

* Propylene Glycol (not in Red Oak Smoke Juice Recipe)
* Food-grade Vegetable Glycerin
* Food-grade Glycerol
* Distilled water
* Nicotine (except in Zero Nicotine recipe)
* Natural Flavors
* Artificial flavors
* Citric Acid

They seem to make it a point to say that PG isn't in the red-oak line, yet they don't say that VG isn't in the original line.

If it is truly 100% PG they might not make the note of pointing out that VG isn't in the original because, quite frankly its not nearly as big of an issue since no one minds a little VG, yet PG is the one that can cause irritable symptoms. Any thoughts? Or am I just reading it totally wrong

*edit* I think I recall reading that their juices only include 7 ingredients...with the 8 listed there, minus VG or PG for their respective lines, that would make sense. The lack of note on the VG though does throw me off.

Last edited:

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
Greg, am I reading this wrong? From what I'm looking at it seems that the PG line also has VG in it?

Actually, you might be right. Nowhere do they say their original line is VG free. So it's possible that it does have some VG in it as part of their recipe. The only claim they make is that their Red Oak line is PG free. I think it was probably a bad assumption on my part.

LegioX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
Actually, you might be right. Nowhere do they say their original line is VG free. So it's possible that it does have some VG in it as part of their recipe. The only claim they make is that their Red Oak line is PG free. I think it was probably a bad assumption on my part.

It wasn't a bad assumption. Its what I was confused on myself. Apparently they started out 100% VG, and like a year later switched to 80% PG...at least thats what I get from some random Internet findings related to their "new recipe" primarily dated in late '08 or early '09, I forget which.

Even so, a bit of VG might have been exactly what it needed and might be exactly what I am looking for. 100% PG is great, but why not throw a little more vapor there? 80% is still a lot.

KiloWatts

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
West Philadelphia
Just a note, JC sells two different kinds of Tennessee Cured. One with PG, and one 100% VG. I happen to have both, and I slightly prefer the Red Oak VG version over the PG version.

I will say that all the JC stuff I've tried does have a harshness to it - they all burn a bit and really do have that "dried potpourri" type feeling. This, I assume, is what their going for, considering all the autumn colors and old-timey aesthetics. All the juices I've tried kinda feels like walking into grandpa's antique shop. ;)

I haven't tried the fruit flavors, but my gf ordered some and it should arrive this week.

LegioX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
So my JC juices came and I tried most of them out.

First impressions. The bottles themselves were shrinkwrapped, yet seemed wet to the touch. There was some juice on the outside of some of the bottles, and this seemed very strange at first. Still clueless on that.

I unscrewed the safety cap and there was a white plastic stopper over the opening of the bottles. Not really sure what this is for, its shape confused me. It has a slight hole at the top which I wasn't even sure if a needle could fit through, will have to try it. The opposite end had a piece of plastic sticking down the side. Ok, whatever, thats cool...better sealing of the product.

I discarded all of those strange plastic pieces and used the dropper caps on all my bottles. These are good, except they don't have child safety locks, and the security of the cap is questionable. I'll still be using, I shake them around and tested their grip on the bottle and they seem OK but turn these a bit to the left and they'd come unscrewed very easily.

The 3ml empty plastic bottles are cool, but I hardly see their importance. Now, if the droppers were short enough to be screwed onto these I could understand. But from what I can tell its just a smaller plastic version of the glass bottle with a less secure cap and no actual 'dropper'. You'd have to carry a spare dropper with you to use with them, or a syringe.

Was a little surprised about the overall packaging that I had high expectations for. Which begs the question, how do you guys use/store ure JC bottles? I guess I will keep them in the glass bottles with dropper caps on, as its easy enough apart from the questionable hold of the cap.

Now something embarrassing happened that I might as well share. I put my French Vanilla bottle back in the bubble wrap bag and came back a little later and find the bottle empty with its contents spilled into the bag. What the hell? No idea what happened there, I'm assuming I somehow managed to fail screwing the safety cap back on to the bottle...

As for the flavors. I must say I do love most of them. I think these will be the juices I use forever...despite the strange early encounters with the product. Haven't tried a bad flavor yet. My favorites are Espresso, French Vanilla, Chocolate Truffle, and Black Cherry. Didn't care for the Original which just seemed way too bland, and the Tennesee cured had a strange taste that I couldn't put my finger on but I definately see it being great for people who love a rich pipe tobacco taste. Its not awful, just not for me.

The Espresso is great, its a rich coffeeish taste, not so much like a cup of coffee but more like fresh beans. Definately a morning/evening vape with a cup of coffee, or for mellow times.

French Vanilla I found to be just like the original but with a potent flavor added. Definitely yummy, could be a tad bit more vanilla and a tiny bit smoother, but I love it.

Chocolate Truffle is delicious. Not an all day vape for me, but definitely a 'treat'. Tastes like a rich, very strong hot chocolate to me. No complaints.

The Black Cherry..hrmm. At first it reminded me exactly of "Bing Cherry" by Pinkspotvapors. Its very...bitter I think is the word, and has an almost medicinal taste to it. Don't get me wrong its a good vape and I will buy it again most likely, but when the word 'cherry' is thrown around we think like artificially flavored cherry slushees and the likes of that sort. This is a fresh, ripe, burst of black cherry. Not a 'treat' or 'fruity' vape as much as a rich wholesome taste similar, I might be able to vape this all day. The more I vape it the more I like it, first pull of it had me disappointed though.

All in all, JC is awesome and has HIGH quality juices for refined tastes palettes. Don't buy this stuff if you're looking for a cotton candy or coca cola vape, but if your looking for something similar to smoking great tasting, and sometimes flavored tobacco of the highest quality, this stuff is for you.

Like I said I will most likely solely buy from this company because they are based in the USA, buy their ingredients from the USA, and mix it in the USA. The prices are acceptable if you factor that in, I mean a 30 mil bottle might last me a month to a month and a half... and for $20 thats a price I'm willing to pay.

As far as my concerns as being allergic, I'm not quite sure yet...After a week of vaping PG and switching to VG I noticed some itching and skin peeling on my face that subsided a few days ago. This was in conjunction with a nastyy cold brought on by quitting smoking. I think I'm starting to notice slight skin peeling again on my face, not sure if its related or if I just have to get used to it or what...but will give it a few more days and see for sure. I'd definitely HATE to be allergic to PG :(:(

So guys, support the US and buy JC if your looking for high quality down to earth juices. I have a couple samples of Dekang stuff coming so will see how it compares.

Any comments/suggestions using JC products?

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
I just got my JC too. I really like the Espresso they all have an odd smokey flavor to them and they are tart, not bad just odd I do like it though. I am almost at my 1yr mark vaping and this is my first time trying JC juices I may just have to buy them again. I really love the little 3ml glass with droppers and the little tin that came with it. These are different from all other juices I have used that smokey flavor is a nice change. I dont love them enough for everyday use Yet. If they made a Blueberry it would be an allday, everyday vape for me. I think I am going to mix some of my blueberry with the french vanilla and see how it tastes. I am off to mix up a science project now.

all2kind

Feb 13, 2011
USA
Hello everyone. New to this forum, and I'm a vaper now 20 days in, and analog free for 20 days. I use the 808D-1 batterys and love them, manual or auto...I was using pinkspots VG juice and V2s PG pre-filleds...but wanted to check out Johnson Creek because I think I like PG a lot more than VG, I just hope I am not allergic. I noticed some skin peeling and slight itchiness a week after vaping V2s prefilled PG juices, then it slightly subsided after I switched to VG. I also got sick at this time, but could easily be coincidental because I heard immune systems crash after quitting cigarettes, and I definately caught something nasty as I lost about a pound in black lung phlegm. (gross but great lol)

I ordered a bunch of original juices from Johnson Creek, but I have heard so many things about this company and was looking for some info from people who have followed them from the start. I can't find a 'timeline' of them online ANYWHERE..however from what I can tell it went something like...GREAT flavors...then reduced PG flavors that were worse....then SEDIMENTS in their juice....then back to reduced PG juice and finally a VG juice. What happened here? All the youtube videos and posts I see are from '09 or early '10. I know they've only been around since '08, but is this company safe?

The sediment particulates in the juice kind of scared me, but I was wondering if that was resolved. I've also heard a lot of opinions on the juices that they all taste the same, like burnt coffee..are these defective products or is taste really that subjective? I'm just curious what they've been up to lately, and if they make 100% great PG juice with no extra hazards or defects..

And I can't figure out if their original juice is 100% PG or 80% PG. My order of their juice arrives tommorow...and honestly I have some feelings of fear on trying this juice. I see reviews on their site from '11 saying its great, but non JC affiliated site reviews saying they got sick, had sediments in them, tasted burnt etc. etc.

I'm just looking for a PG juice supplier that gives me the throathit of an analog and a rich taste. Pinkspots VG juice just isn't cutting it for me...I feel the nic...but the lack of flavor and throat hit makes me not even realise I'm getting any vapor sometimes.

Thanks guys, and I will let you know how they are tommorow if all seems well :) HAPPY VAPING

I order from pink spot myself, they are the most acomodating company, and I know they will mix any pg/ vg mix you request, I have done so myself you just have to tell them in the request spot, they will make it however you want it, you'll just have to ask they have the best spot on flavors I have ever had! You can also ask questions on there facebook page, or by email.

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
JC is top notch liquid. They have an art. You'll find their trademark base is in a lot of their flavors though, so ya love em or hate em.. But they are known for their complexity, vs the simple liquids you find most everywhere else. I dont think they have a single liquid with under 3 flavors in them. But all are great in their own rights. The PG line is strictly PG, not a pg/vg mix. They also work well in cartomisers because their liquids are thinner than most, and that includes the VG line. That makes for ease of use in carts as well as carto's. But they did have a short issue with how they strained the liquids way back when, and was JUST before my time with them, and shortly after the reduced pg line was removed also. You will find that some of their flavors darken over time as well. This is from vanilla, and unavoidable. It just darkens over time. JC doesnt require steep time either. But I havent found a vendor yet that can pull me off their french vanilla for more than a cart or two....for over a yr now. I do unfortunately have to add some flavor drops to it now to get that serious french vanilla pop. Sorry, but can't get enough of that frenchy :p

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
The 3ml empty plastic bottles are cool, but I hardly see their importance. Now, if the droppers were short enough to be screwed onto these I could understand. But from what I can tell its just a smaller plastic version of the glass bottle with a less secure cap and no actual 'dropper'. You'd have to carry a spare dropper with you to use with them, or a syringe.

I use those 3ml bottles all the time. I fill one up and use that until it's nearly empty and then refill from my big glass bottle. They're the perfect size for carrying around with my PV in my pocket.

The top is actually a dropper; I assume yours came with the dropper cap? They should have. Each one is 3 pieces: the bottle, the dropper cap, and the outside cap. After you fill the bottle, you pop in the dropper cap and then screw on the outside cap. To use, just remove the outside cap, turn the bottle upside down over your atty, and squeeze to drip. To refill, you pop that dropper top out and pour from the glass bottle.

Was a little surprised about the overall packaging that I had high expectations for. Which begs the question, how do you guys use/store ure JC bottles? I guess I will keep them in the glass bottles with dropper caps on, as its easy enough apart from the questionable hold of the cap.

I rarely use the dropper caps that come with the bottles since I use the 3 ml dropper bottles. And I store my bottles in a cabinet in my home office. I actually bought one of those Johnson Creek tins to store my stockpile. When I need a bottle, I take it out of there and put it in my vaping gear organizer (same cabinet). The only time a bottle comes out of the cabinet is when I'm refilling my 3ml bottle.

As far as my concerns as being allergic, I'm not quite sure yet...After a week of vaping PG and switching to VG I noticed some itching and skin peeling on my face that subsided a few days ago. This was in conjunction with a nastyy cold brought on by quitting smoking. I think I'm starting to notice slight skin peeling again on my face, not sure if its related or if I just have to get used to it or what...but will give it a few more days and see for sure. I'd definitely HATE to be allergic to PG :(:(

While an allergy might be to blame, it could also be from dehydration. Glycerin is a humectant and will dry you out in a hurry. If dry, peeling skin is your only symptom, try drinking more water to see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread