Joyetech Exceed Grip Starter Kit 1000mAh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the exceed grip Starter Kit 1000mAh from joyetech. The Exceed Grip Starter Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Coco from joyetech.

http://www.joyetech.com/product/exceed-grip/

Introduction

The Exceed Grip is the latest device from Joyetech and a very interesting pod system/AIO/Pod mod, whatever you want to call it as it's different to anything i have used before. The device has a removable 510 drip tip and the pods/cartridges slot into the device from the side so no issues with seeing the juice level. The kit includes both a cartridge where you can replace the coils and a cartridge that is disposable which house's an integrated 0.8ohm Mesh coil, there is also a cartridge which has an integrated Ceramic coil (not included). The EX series of coils fit the cartridge where you can replace the coils and you get supplied with 2 EX-M 0.4ohm coils. Both the EX-M coils and integrated 0.8ohm mesh coil make use of the Dry Burn Protection the Exceed Grip offers. The device outputs voltage intelligently dependant on the coil used and is a low power device with a max wattage of 20W. The device comes in both plain colours and colourful designs with different designs on each panel, so i will stop my rabbiting and crack on!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x Exceed Grip Battery
1 x Standard Cartridge 4.5ml (2ml TPD) (one EX-M Coil Pre-installed)
1 x Pod Cartridge 3.5ml (2ml TPD) (Integrate 0.8ohm Mesh Coil, Fixed)
1 x EX-M 0.4ohm Mesh Coil(Spare Part)
1 x USB Cable
1 x User Manual
1 x Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Exceed Grip came in cardboard packaging with sleeve and i received the Blue version which has plain Blue panels both sides. Their are 3 plain colours available which have textured grooves on the panels which are Blue, Black and white, also their are 3 versions that take advantage of IML technology which have different colourful designs either side. The device is box shaped once the pod/cartridge is fitted but very small making it portable and comfortable to use. The chassis of the device i believe is Aluminium and the device is light even with a cartridge full of juice inserted. The spine of the device has a rectangular cutout section for the cartridge to fit and up top above where the cartridge is fitted is a delrin 510 drip tip which can be removed and is a standard fitting so you can use one of your own if you prefer. On the face of the device towards the top we have a protruding rectangular fire button then towards the bottom an LED strip for indication followed by the micro USB port. The base of the device has safety marks stamped into the metal, the Exceed Grip is a well put together device.

Exceed Grip Specs and Features:

Size: 40 x 21 x 74mm
Standard Cartridge: 4.5ml (2ml TPD), EX-M 0.4ohm coil (changeable)
Pod Cartridge: 3.5ml (2ml TPD), 0.8ohm integrated Mesh coil (fixed)
Battery Capacity: built-in 1000mAh
Output Mode: variable voltage output
Output Wattage: max 20W
1000mAh inbuilt battery
Dual colourful IML panels
Intelligent variable voltage output
Innovative dry burning protection
Creative side-way cartridge
4.5ml standard cartridge with a pre-installed 0.4ohm EX-M coil
3.5ml pod cartridge with an integrate 0.8ohm Mesh coil
Pod cartridge Optimized for Nicotine Salts with incredible flavor
Colours/Designs: Rainbow Tattoo, Skull-Stone, Mystery-Blue, Black, Blue, White

The Replaceable Coil Cartridge

The replaceable coil cartridge will house any of the EX range of coils but in this kit you are supplied with 2 EX-M 0.4ohm coil heads to take advantage of the Dry burn protection technology. At the top of the pod we see the air pipe opening with a rubber lining at the top. On one side towards the bottom we have the usual bung that lifts up but stays attached to the cartridge, when lifted up a well above average sized fill port is revealed. The base of the cartridge has a metal plate with central airflow hole surrounded by the Gold plated positive circle, this circle has an insulator surround with the rest of the plate being the negative. This base plate locks into position and to remove you need to first twist it round and then pull and it becomes detached along with the coil if one was fitted. The coil just screws onto the base plate much the same as a coil screws into the base of a standard tank. To fit back on the cartridge just push back in with the base plate at an angle then twist to lock in position, the standard version of this cartridge holds 4.5ml of e-liquid.

The Disposable Pod Cartridge

The included Pod cartridge has an integrated 0.8ohm mesh coil to utilise the Dry burn Protection technology but also available is a pod cartridge housing a Ceramic coil. The Pod cartridge looks very similar to the standard cartridge with the same air pipe opening at the top and removable bung on one side. Inside the pod cartridge there is more plastic towards the bottom and thicker air pipe both of which reduces the capacity of the standard version of this cartridge to 3.5ml of e-liquid. The real difference is at the base on the pod cartridge, instead of the removable base plate the bottom of the pod cartridge looks much more like a standard pod with 2 contacts and you can also see where the air will get in the pod which will be less than on the standard cartridge.

Fitting The Pod

The pod fits into the side of the device by just press fitting into place but it secures tightly and gives a satisfying click when put in place. Looking inside the device we have a slightly protruding rubber ring around the air pipe opening at the top and 2 protruding Gold plated contacts at the bottom which if they are spring loaded are very stiff and seem fixed to me. With the pod/cartridge in place the whole pod/cartridge can be seen so really you shouldn't need the dry burn protection to kick in as you can clearly see your juice level at all times.

DBP (Dry Burn Protection)

The Exceed Grip has DBP protection so when the device detects your liquid is very low the LED flashes twice and the device cuts out to avoid dry and burn't hits. Because it's a form of automatic temperature control it only works when using coils with TC compatible material so although not stated i assume the 2 EX-M 0.4ohm included mesh coils and integrated mesh coil in the pod cartridge are SS316L. The technology doesn't work when using the other EX coils in the standard cartridge or if you use the also available pod cartridge that houses a ceramic coil.

Using The Exceed Grip

I have covered the pods and how they just clip into the side of the device to complete the box mod look but let's look how the device works. The Exceed Grip is a very interesting device yet is as simple as it gets to operate, you simply press the fire button and vape. The airflow is different on each cartridge but is set so non adjustable, the voltage is automatically adjusted smartly dependent on the coil being used and although there is no specifics given as the EX-M 0.4ohm coil is rated at only 10-13W the voltage output must be quite low (do the maths). The device can be turned on and off with the usual 5 clicks of the fire button but other than that you simply vape and enjoy. The device does have battery status indication which is shown by what colour the LED lights when taking a vape but it's done terribly in my opinion and hardly worth having. When the light goes White the battery is 20% to 100% and when it lights Red it's below 20%. I am being harsh on the battery status indication as in my opinion there should be at least 3 different indications rather than just the two the Exceed Grip has but at least with it having a 1000mAh battery and being low output giving you a less than 20% warning does give you plenty of time to plan on charging. As well as the Dry Burn Protection i have already explained the Exceed Grip as the usual safety Protections which are indicated by various flashes of the LED.

Protections

Timeout Protection 10s
Short Circuit Protection
Over-charging Protection
Over-discharging Protection

Not Impressed With Manual

On Joyetech's website and listed everywhere else i look all specs given for the device are the same so i assume must be correct. The Manual list completely different specs which actually i wish were true because they would make it an even better device. The manual says it has a 1100mAh battery rather than a 1000mAh, it also says the pod cartridge with integrated coil is 4ml capacity rather than 3.5ml and the mesh coil inside is 1.2ohm rather than 0.8 ohm which would of been a much better option for the device. Whether all devices have been shipped with the manual that came with my device i'm not too sure as the manual that can be downloaded has all the correct information.

My Experience Using The Exceed Grip

I have a few issues with it but nothing that took away how much i have enjoyed using the device and it has many pros. I list things that are stated by the manufacturer but i don't necessarily agree, Joyetech does say the pod cartridge with integrated 0.8ohm mesh coil is optimised for nicotine salts and it just isn't, i tried some 20mg nic salts and the airflow is just too much in fact really the pod cartridge i wouldn't class as MTL (you can manufacture a very loose MTL at best) but is more suited to a very restrictive DL vape. The standard cartridge allowing to replace the coils was much better giving a restrictive direct lung vape much closer to what i would expect from an RTA as this gives much more air and the 0.4ohm mesh coil i liked a lot. I also much prefer this cartridge has although the cartridge won't last forever it will be good for many coil changes which will work out much more economic while also allowing for trying the other EX coils. The vapor production was far greater than expected from a low power device especially with the 0.4ohm coil and both this and the integrated 0.8ohm coil gave very good flavour from what essentially is a pod system. The battery status indication i found somewhat lacking but at least fair warning is given that the battery is getting low, the battery life was impressive as mentioned i don't now what the different voltage outputs are for the 2 supplied coils but the 1000mAh seemed much better than that lasting a full day and i vape a lot. If you like a genuine MTL device the Exceed Grip isn't for you but those that like a looser draw then the Exceed Grip gives very good flavour, good e-liquid capacity, excellent battery life and has many coil options available.

Well made device
Small, light and pocket friendly
Ergonomic and portable
Plenty colour/design options
Replaceable coil Pod
Pod with integrated coil included (0,8ohm mesh coil)
2 EX-M 0.4ohm coils included
See juice level at all times
Easy to fill
Takes a few seconds to switch pods/cartridges
Dry burn protection
Low power device
1000mAh in-built battery
Very good battery life
Good vapor production
Very good flavour for pod device (with both included types of coil)
Removable standard fitting 510

Cons

Not really a MTL option
Battery status indication is poorly done
My manual listed incorrect specs

I would once again like to thank Coco from Joyetech for supplying the Exceed Grip Starter Kit for the purpose of this review.

EXCEED Grip - Joyetech

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
I'm still confused by the conflicting info Joyetech provide regarding the pod/cart versions, those terms seem to be interchangeable too. I was under the impression that the ceramic coil was built into the provided pod ( with the two bottom contacts) but other info suggests it has the 0.8 ohm coil integrated as you suggest. See my review that mentions the oddball English used by Joyetech these days, I have the feeling that you are right about the coils and also regarding the MTL.. I habitually DTL so the MTL felt right to me.

Agree about the LED charging indicator, the Eleaf iTap uses 3 LED states, a little better than the Grip.

Thanks for the interesting perspective!

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Yep that pod cartridge with the 0.8 coil is a weird one, it's a very restrictive DL vape that you can MTL with a very loose draw but as someone who both MTL and DL vape i didn't feel it came as a natural MTL vape but for sure for someone you tends to just DL will find it more restrictive than they are use too. The site is confusing as hell after first going through everything before i used the device i too thought it was the Ceramic coil included, when re-reading very closely the correct information is their but the way they have gone about it doesn't make it clear.
How was your manual? did it have the correct information like the one that can be downloaded or did it have incorrect specs?

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
Hi Tim, I have a feeling that the ceramic coil is a product of someones imagination! Yup the paper manual I have says 1100mAh and a very strange description of the coils, coils, carts whatever they are. Check the image. There have a been a lot of staff changes in the Joyetech/Eleaf/Wismec group in the past 6 months .. the English in PR and product materials has suffered along the way imho.
grip paper manual_lo.jpg

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
They make me smile if i ask about their connection it doesn't matter if i ask my contact at Joyetech, Eleaf or Wismec they point out in a very defensive manner how they are a very different company almost to the point they don't even know who these other manufacturers are lol. It's so funny because it's blatantly obvious they are very closely linked and even share technologies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
It's a merry-go-round it seems with personal jumping from manufacturer to manufacturer and from working at a large wholesale vendor to manufacturer and then someone thinking hey i can do this and setting up on their own and hey presto we have yet another vaping manufacturer. Wismec-Sophie on this forum use to be my contact at the Healthcabin only when she worked for the Healthcabin she was called Lily, lol!

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
Yes agreed, I like it and use it despite having several quadrillion devices ... I don't use Nic Salts so don't feel qualified to mention it in a review other than in passing. I use 3mg every other day or so, I'm off it! Usually I vape for the hand-mouth thing, or an additive I can't mention here.

Reactions: Tim Wiseman

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Yeah i reviewed a few ranges of nic salts so of course have some left over which comes in handy just to see what the hit is like with these pod type devices but the few i occasionally use by choice i use for another type of liquid which is becoming all the rage to ease my aches and pains lol. By choice i'm a single coil RTA low wattage DL vaper between 30-40W but occasionally like a loose MTL vape for a change and go for 3mg if i'ts bought e-liquid or 2mg if i DIY. Reviewing all these pod type devices is a bit awkward because it's not how i choose to vape. I have to say to myself if i was into pod devices or was new to vaping how would i find this device and do the review from that stand point.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
yup. I was the first to get the Magic Atopack for review for some reason. I discovered that the section of the paper manual that told how to replace the cotton square had a paragraph and a graphic missing .... following what was left was nonsensical! I told them and they had to redo. But to be fair they are not the only Chinese manufacturer to make mistakes like that. Some instructions are only worth binning!

BetoMex

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2016
Thanks for the review.
I was wondering if you kept using the Exceed Grip, since I'm interested in finding out about the coils lifespan.
I've been a Joyetech enthusiast (eGrip VT, eGrip II, Dolphin/Penguin) and I may be in need of a new vape.

Although I loved the systems, the coils for the eGrips were really bad. Difficult to wick and didn't last long.
The JVIC coils (Dolphin/Penguin) have lasted me a bit more, probably around 300ml of ejuice (really pushing it, moving around the cotton and sticking needles into the cotton).

Did you by any chance tried the Penguin or Dolphin? I sorta want to know if Exceed Grip would be an equal, upgrade or downgrade from the Penguin.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
It's on my desk still and have the occasional vape with it but testing other products all the time so trying to relate all those 15 minutes vapes over a period of time to if i was using it as my main device is a difficult one. I have only been using it with the 0.4ohm mesh coil since testing it and this had the most use while testing and the flavours still good. I did test the Dolphin but not the penguin and i much prefer this more for it's stealthy nature as it's tiny, the Dolphin is quite some size for a pod system. Being able to see your juice level so clearly and having the Dry Burn Protection are big advantages over the Dolphin also.

BetoMex

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2016
It's on my desk still and have the occasional vape with it but testing other products all the time so trying to relate all those 15 minutes vapes over a period of time to if i was using it as my main device is a difficult one. I have only been using it with the 0.4ohm mesh coil since testing it and this had the most use while testing and the flavours still good. I did test the Dolphin but not the penguin and i much prefer this more for it's stealthy nature as it's tiny, the Dolphin is quite some size for a pod system. Being able to see your juice level so clearly and having the Dry Burn Protection are big advantages over the Dolphin also.
Cool. Yeah I like those advantages, plus easy refilling, since the penguin is a juicy mess to do.
What I'd be giving up (and love) is the 8ml tank and the 2000mhz battery.

I'd probably jump straight to the .4ohm coil.
I'll just have to decide between this and the Magic Atopack. Did you review that one by any chance? I heard that the flavor was awful but never read a legit review.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
Wondering if anyone is experiencing short lived coils....I'm using the 0.4ohm with 20mg nic 50/50 and the coil didn't even last 4ml and started to taste burnt and then goes the flavour after a refill of probably 1.5ml. When I refilled, I checked the coil and it was basically all black...

Haven't experienced that. Is your liquid sweet? Sometimes sweet liquids clog up coils rapidly. I love "Taste of Gods" but it gums up coils for a living! I'm usually at 70 VG and the Grip copes with that thicker liquid well. I suspect it's clogging up rather than burnt.

Details of your liquid may help diagnose.

lionpappa

Aug 23, 2016
Haven't experienced that. Is your liquid sweet? Sometimes sweet liquids clog up coils rapidly. I love "Taste of Gods" but it gums up coils for a living! I'm usually at 70 VG and the Grip copes with that thicker liquid well. I suspect it's clogging up rather than burnt.

Details of your liquid may help diagnose.

Thanks for the reply, yes, I think it might be the liquids since it happened to my novo with 1.2 or 1.4ohm as well (which was totally fine previously with some 40mg nic salt 50/50 from dash vapes).

The current juice I'm using i bought locally in Vancouver:
Koil Killaz (ironically) - Assault
Crave - Moo moo
Both of these do have more flavour compared to the ones I bought from dashvapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread