Juice separation??? Would you vape this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I received some juice this week:

Flavour: Lemon Meringue Pie
Ratio: 50/50
Bottled: 3rd June 2014

So, it arrived pre-steeped, today I filled up a (clean + dry) Kayfun with it, had a little vape then left it alone for a few hours.
When I came back to vape it again it tasted a little weird (which I put down to the flavour itself), then I noticed the juice in the tank...
eurghjuice.jpg

It seems as though the liquid has separated. The liquid in the dropper bottle looks normal.

When vaped there is a continuation of sound after I release the firing button coming from the chamber. I am gonna guess that somehow the additional sound is caused by water being on the coils and therefore continuing to boil due to the residual heat of the coils after firing.

Has this happened to anyone else and can anyone confirm what is actually happening?

Would you continue to vape it?

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
It is the lemon in the juice. I've seen separation in juice with a high level of citrus. The citrus oil doesn't mix well. There's a good chance it will also eventually ruin your plastic tank.

Is it caused by the lemon reacting with the plastic tank then? (I mean the separation being a by-product of the reaction between the acidic juice & the plastic tank)

If yes, then I guess it is my fault rather than dodgy e-juice supplied by the vendor...

asvaldr, yes it still remains the same when shaken (not stirred), the colourless layer turns into small globules surrounded by the brown liquid, it then settles back down to the colourless part being on top of the brown part (like if you mixed olive oil with water - the colourless liquid being the olive oil in this).

So, the rest of the bottle should be fine to vape as long as I use it in an SS tank/dripper?

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Is it caused by the lemon reacting with the plastic tank then? (I mean the separation being a by-product of the reaction between the acidic juice & the plastic tank)

If yes, then I guess it is my fault rather than dodgy e-juice supplied by the vendor...

asvaldr, yes it still remains the same when shaken (not stirred), the colourless layer turns into small globules surrounded by the brown liquid, it then settles back down to the colourless part being on top of the brown part (like if you mixed olive oil with water - the colourless liquid being the olive oil in this).

So, the rest of the bottle should be fine to vape as long as I use it in an SS tank/dripper?

It's not caused by the reaction with the plastic tank, it just might ruin the tank over time, you haven't had it long enough to do that.

It looks to me like some of the juice is more oil based which will cause a separation in the fluids if you let it sit.

No biggie, just shake it before you vape it :)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

Yes, it will be fine. I just wouldn't use it in a plastic tank. Make sure you shake it well is all. The separation isn't caused by the plastic tank. It's just the fact that citrus oil doesn't mix well with the PG and VG, which is water soluble. Kind of like how your Italian salad dressing will separate, and you have to shake it.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I can accept the immiscibility of oils and PG/VG, but the odd thing is that they were miscible (or at least appeared to be) when they were in the bottle.

The juice in the bottle does not have any bubbles or separate layers, it looks uniform. It was only when put in the tank and left for a few hours that the liquid became dehomogenized.

Could it be the heat that was a factor in the break up of an otherwise great union between the components of the liquid?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Could it be the heat that was a factor in the break up of an otherwise great union between the components of the liquid?

Heating Liquids tend to Aid in making a more Homogenized Mixture usually.

When you Shake the Liquids in your Tank, Does it Look Cloudy? How Long does it Take to separate out like in the Picture you Posted?

Have you Contacted the Vendor where you got the e-Liquid and Asked what is the Flavoring Base Type? PG? Oil? Real Lemon Juice?

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
When I shake it the colourless liquid breaks up into small globules, but still do not properly make the liquid opaque (you can still see the difference between the two liquids). It is a bit like when you shake one of those executive toys... liquidtoy.jpg

It only takes a matter of about 10-20 seconds to go back to the two layer state after shaking.

Yeah, I just emailed the company, but I wont expect a reply, it is the weekend after all. :(

I checked out their website, but there was no information that I could see about the type of flavourings that they use.

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound

I wouldn't vape that if you paid me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread