The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Juice separation??? Would you vape this...

Discussion in 'General E-Liquid Discussion' started by DoubleEwe, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2014
    Hiding up a tree
    I received some juice this week:

Flavour: Lemon Meringue Pie
    Ratio: 50/50
    Bottled: 3rd June 2014

So, it arrived pre-steeped, today I filled up a (clean + dry) Kayfun with it, had a little vape then left it alone for a few hours.
    When I came back to vape it again it tasted a little weird (which I put down to the flavour itself), then I noticed the juice in the tank...
    eurghjuice.jpg

It seems as though the liquid has separated. The liquid in the dropper bottle looks normal.

When vaped there is a continuation of sound after I release the firing button coming from the chamber. I am gonna guess that somehow the additional sound is caused by water being on the coils and therefore continuing to boil due to the residual heat of the coils after firing.

Has this happened to anyone else and can anyone confirm what is actually happening?

Would you continue to vape it?

2. asvaldr

asvaldr Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2014
    indonesia
    Never happened to me inside a tank, but it's look like when i DIY my juice and start mixing all the ingredients before i stir it. Try to shake it and see if it's still separated.

3. Rule62

Rule62 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    It is the lemon in the juice. I've seen separation in juice with a high level of citrus. The citrus oil doesn't mix well. There's a good chance it will also eventually ruin your plastic tank.

4. DoubleEwe

Apr 1, 2014
    Hiding up a tree
    Is it caused by the lemon reacting with the plastic tank then? (I mean the separation being a by-product of the reaction between the acidic juice & the plastic tank)

If yes, then I guess it is my fault rather than dodgy e-juice supplied by the vendor...

asvaldr, yes it still remains the same when shaken (not stirred), the colourless layer turns into small globules surrounded by the brown liquid, it then settles back down to the colourless part being on top of the brown part (like if you mixed olive oil with water - the colourless liquid being the olive oil in this).

So, the rest of the bottle should be fine to vape as long as I use it in an SS tank/dripper?

5. dragonpuff

dragonpuff Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

It's not caused by the reaction with the plastic tank, it just might ruin the tank over time, you haven't had it long enough to do that.

It looks to me like some of the juice is more oil based which will cause a separation in the fluids if you let it sit.

No biggie, just shake it before you vape it :)

6. mattiem

mattiem ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

I wouldn't.....in fact I wouldn't vape any e-juice that has any form of flavored oil in it......It may be fine but I personally would not do it.

7. Rule62

Rule62 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    Yes, it will be fine. I just wouldn't use it in a plastic tank. Make sure you shake it well is all. The separation isn't caused by the plastic tank. It's just the fact that citrus oil doesn't mix well with the PG and VG, which is water soluble. Kind of like how your Italian salad dressing will separate, and you have to shake it.

8. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Flavored e-Liquid separation is Usually a good sign that an Oil Based Flavoring has been Used.

And I Do Not like using Oil Based Flavorings.

9. DoubleEwe

Apr 1, 2014
    Hiding up a tree
    I can accept the immiscibility of oils and PG/VG, but the odd thing is that they were miscible (or at least appeared to be) when they were in the bottle.

The juice in the bottle does not have any bubbles or separate layers, it looks uniform. It was only when put in the tank and left for a few hours that the liquid became dehomogenized.

Could it be the heat that was a factor in the break up of an otherwise great union between the components of the liquid?

10. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Heating Liquids tend to Aid in making a more Homogenized Mixture usually.

When you Shake the Liquids in your Tank, Does it Look Cloudy? How Long does it Take to separate out like in the Picture you Posted?

Have you Contacted the Vendor where you got the e-Liquid and Asked what is the Flavoring Base Type? PG? Oil? Real Lemon Juice?

11. DoubleEwe

Apr 1, 2014
    Hiding up a tree
    When I shake it the colourless liquid breaks up into small globules, but still do not properly make the liquid opaque (you can still see the difference between the two liquids). It is a bit like when you shake one of those executive toys... liquidtoy.jpg

It only takes a matter of about 10-20 seconds to go back to the two layer state after shaking.

Yeah, I just emailed the company, but I wont expect a reply, it is the weekend after all. :(

I checked out their website, but there was no information that I could see about the type of flavourings that they use.

12. DoubleEwe

Apr 1, 2014
    Hiding up a tree
    If anyone is interested, I do have a 5% discount code from them...

13. SmokingMonkey

SmokingMonkey Senior Member

Jul 23, 2014
    United States
    After this post, I don't think too many people will want that code haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Ministry

The Ministry
    Verified Member ECF Veteran

Moved over to General E-Liquid Discussion

15. RIMP

RIMP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I wouldn't vape it. I'd contact the vendor. As said before by others, no oil in my juice please:vapor:

16. Coldrake

Coldrake Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I wouldn't vape that if you paid me.

17. Anjaffm

Anjaffm Dragon Lady ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2013
    Germany
    I would not vape that either.
    And I would not want to vape oil in the first place. Let's hear what the vendor says, when they reply.

18. cashew

cashew Full Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Going out on a limp here, but any chance your tank contained some other liquid before you added this juice in?

19. exnihilo

exnihilo Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    I've seen juices react with plastic tanks within minutes. .02

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

20. DoubleEwe

Apr 1, 2014
    Hiding up a tree
    No, I cleaned it fully out in the morning, new coil, new wick, washed & dried it all out :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.