Not open for further replies.

ghost62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2012
Marion, Ohio
I did it.
God help me, I did it.
I switched from my 808 gear to the 510 platform. Now I'm a newbie again.
I started vaping 'by accident'. Seriously.
My girlfriend bought us each a Mistic kit from Wallyworld for Valentine's Day (Nothing says 'I Love You' like, "Here, suck on this!") and I would pick it up every now and then just on a lark until, a month later, I ran out of cigarettes and was too tired (lazy) to go get some.
I haven't looked back since.
I'm hooked.
I don't sleep at night because I'm either on here (I call it 'research') or I'm roaming around supplier sites drooling like an idiot over the latest and greatest whatever. I have 116 different sites saved in my bookmarks. I installed PULSE on my Android phone just so I could see new forum posts at a glance (because actually opening my mobile browser takes FOREVER!!! Almost 3 whole seconds!!! Oh, the humanity...) and ECF is the homepage on my laptop. I originally went with the 808 gear because it was all comfy and familiar, then I started getting into 808 eGos and fat batts like the Echo. I bought clearos and tanks and super-massive XXXXXXXXXXL cartos with roughly the same capacity as my bath tub. I walk around the house- see something, and think "I could mod that." Which is kinda strange because the only thing I've ever modded was a box of Betty Crocker Au Gratin potatoes (added bacon and pepper jack cheese- pretty tasty, if I do say so myself). For a while, I even made my own juice until everything started tasting like water from the aforementioned bath tub and I decided to leave that to the pros
So, yep- I'm hooked. No doubt.
Now come the problems...
All of the REALLY cool stuff I saw (and drooled over) was 510 threaded.
And I'm stubborn.
And I'm a purist so no adapters for this guy. No sir. No way.
And I'm cheap (Thrifty- I like that word better. FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE!!! That's the ticket! I'm fiscally responsible!)
I have so much invested in my current arsenal that I have been agonizing (no joke) over whether or not to switch gear.
Finally, in a moment of utter insanity, I did it! I placed an order for a Vari-Tube Mod kit, a couple DCT tanks and a handful of of LR XL 510 clearos.
Now I have to figure all of this out again and am looking for any tips or tricks or just general suggestions from anyone who has experience with variable voltage tube mods, 18650 batteries, high-voltage vaping, etc...
I'll take any help I can get (including help from the site moderators if I've put this in the wrong sub-forum)
Thanks in advance and have a GREAT DAY (Yes, I'm giving out 'Great Days' - bought a whole case of them last Friday. They were on sale ;))

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I switched from the 808/901's when I wanted to try a tank system.

I tried dripping, but it just didn't catch on for me, so I decided to try a tank, which I understand is almost the same.

I had a couple of 650ma 510 batteries so I bought a 510-T atomizer and a pack of tanks for it. I liked the idea but wanted just a little more tank capacity so I broke down and bought a eGo-C kit and another 5-pack of heads so I could rotate a head once a day and clean all 7 once a week.

So far everything's working out just fine and I'm enjoying my eGo-C.

ghost62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2012
Marion, Ohio
Thanks for all the input guys. My tube came in the mail yesterday and I'm just now getting a chance to fire it up. Using a smoketek lr carto at 2 ohms. Shooting for five volts vaping so if the table I found on here is correct, I should set my voltage at 5.0.
Wish me luck and I'll let ya know what happens.
Oh- btw - is it true that the dark side has cookies? I saw it on a T-shirt and everyone knows that shirts never lie...

ghost62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2012
Marion, Ohio
Ok- so I've had my tube for a few days now and gotta admit i like dialing it in (playing) but was having a few issues- basically relearning. Still, being as hooked as I am, i went ahead and placed another order for additional accessories from Tropical Vapors. Next thing I know- my phone rang and it was Tom from Trop V just making sure that the specific adapter i ordered would work with my old gear.
Wow.
A personal call from a vendor about a $3 piece of metal. And on a weekend no less!
That kind of commitment to customer satisfaction deserves a HUGE shout out. He stayed on the phone with me and answered all of my born -again newbie questions and even suggested an alternative choice of cartos to get the most out of my Vari-Tube.
Total class.
If you like doing business with someone that truly appreciates you as a customer, check him out. Good prices and FAST shipping too.
Oh, found my sweet spot- 1.7 carto at 4.2v.
Still trying to dial in my DCT. It's 3/4 full and reads at 1.5 ohms, still getting an airy, burned taste at all settings. Any ideas?

Absintheur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
north central Indiana
Hang onto those 808s, they do have good uses. I still use mine with 901 atomizers as well as with some 808 clearos. With the 901 they provide a great tasting platform...I still like using mine to toot on flavors other than my all day juices. The also provide discreet vaping when you need something small...I us a pencil clip for a dress shirt pocket.

pocket2.jpg

mattt9998

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
Rochester, NY
If you wanted to get rid of your 808 stuff maybe post in the PIF swaps thread and maybe someone will swap with you for something you have more use for, or watch the main PIF thread like a hawk and wait until there is something posted of your liking, they offer up some of your 808 gear in the PIF.

I still use my volt 808 kit for when I am out and about some times, as I dont want to carry anything that I will be crushed if I lose it or break it.

I also use a lavatube as my main device, I do keep one of each adapter on hand so I can use vision ego/stardust clearos, and continue to use up my stock of 808 cartos.

ghost62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2012
Marion, Ohio
Its been some time now but I finally am getting the results I was going for! Paired my vari-tube with a vivi nova using the 2.4 ohm coil head running the tube at 5v for just over 10 watts performance.
Wow.
Wow!
THIS is what I was hoping for when I made the switch from 808s. I can run all day on a single 18650 and topped off tank- and it cranks out a serious cloud. Nice warm, full-flavored vapor and a strong throat hit, but not overpowering.
Still have a couple of issues though-
Will using a cartridge/atty setup help avoid the crappy flavor I get from cartos!? I've tried various resistances from both boge and smoktech (always starting at 3v and a topped off carto) and always get either a chemical taste or burned flavor. I even ran new ones on my 3.7 fixed E-Power with the same result. Any suggestions?
Finding a good all day vape... My current favorite is a custom mix from ECBlends ( 60vg40pg Kahlua-espresso-whiskey with a few drops of sucralose that I added) but I am always looking for something that tastes good at higher wattages. Again- suggestions are welcome.
Lastly- does any one know where I can get an upgraded fan for my truck? The fog is so thick I can't see to drive sometimes ;-)
Thanks for all of your input and have a great day!

Neya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
MA
Funny, I really really like the 808 cartos. I tried adapters to use 510 cartos/atomizers on my 808 kit and to be honest, 808 cartos just seem better to me. Vapes warmer, more airy. Probably due to shorter height? Not sure.
Anyways, that being said, I still use my 808 batteries with an adapter for 510 items. The reason being is everyone sells 510 gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread