Just made my first batch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craybee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Washington, DC
made my first ever batch of eliquid earlier today. w00t! i only made 15ml because i didn't wanna make a huge bottle and end up not liking it. so i just tried a sample and, while i do like it, it's not exactly what i was going for. i was trying to make Orange Creamsicle, the recipe calls for Orange Cream, and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream flavors, in a roughly 2 to 1 ratio respectively. unfortunately all i can taste is the Vanilla Bean, which is supposed to be the undertone, not the top note. grrr. i figure i'll try it again tomorrow with another 15ml but this time i figure i'll up the Orange Cream and lower the Vanilla Bean.

in the meantime does anyone know of an Orange Cream/Dreamsicle recipe that actually tastes like it's real world counterpart?

here's the recipe i used.
Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 7.22.49 PM.png

Last edited:

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
In my experience you need to let the flavors infuse or possibly tweak your recipe by upping the orange a tad. Since I don't or have worked with the flavors you used it is hard to say but complex mixes take time to infuse and blend. Just my personal experience from many attempts at new creations. I don't make clones I make my own originals.

Craybee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Washington, DC
You may want to let that steep a bit before making another and adding more orange cream over the VBIC. Creams take some steeping before they begin to shine and if you add to much flavoring you may mute the whole thing.

thanks. yeah i'm gonna let the rest steep. i just couldn't help myself and had to try a sample though. i think i'll make another 15ml bottle and instead of using the 6% Orange Cream and 3% Vanilla Bean as the recipe suggested i'll switch it to 8% Orange Cream and 1% Vanilla Bean. I'll let them both steep for a week and see what happens.

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Here's a recipe by Vurve at Reddit that looks promising:

Dreamsicle v.Perfected
  • Vanilla bean ice cream (tfa) 4%
  • Orange cream (tfa) 3%
  • Sweet Tangerine (cap) 2%
  • Marshmallow (tfa) 1%
  • Koolada (tfa) 0.5%
I might try mixing some of this up later if I get ambitious and find an empty bottle! :)

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
One thing I've learned is when making a clone recipe is to get the precise brand of flavoring that the recipe calls for. An example would be something like a recipe calling for TFA strawberry and I get strawberry CAP, one of them might be an actual strawberry flavor whereas the other may be a strawberry candy flavor and those small details will make a huge difference in the final result.

Craybee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Washington, DC
Here's a recipe by Vurve at Reddit that looks promising:

Dreamsicle v.Perfected
  • Vanilla bean ice cream (tfa) 4%
  • Orange cream (tfa) 3%
  • Sweet Tangerine (cap) 2%
  • Marshmallow (tfa) 1%
  • Koolada (tfa) 0.5%
I might try mixing some of this up later if I get ambitious and find an empty bottle! :)

i almost attempted that but thought it might be better to stick with a simpler recipe for my first go at this. though i think i'll definitely try that in the near future. i'm trying to replicate the Orange Cream juice i usually get from MyFreedomSmokes. it's awesome. but since i don't know their recipe i'll just have to keep experimenting. just wish the steep times didn't take so long. :/

Reactions: tazzle

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
To me, TFA Orange cream isn't very orangy on its own. I've had luck boosting it with FW Blood Orange, but any other pure orange/mandarin/tangerine should give it the kick it needs.

If I were on your quest and didn't have a suitable orange booster, I'd switch out the VBIC for something lighter, like TFA Bavarian Cream, and start with = %s of each (5% probably), then work out the kinks from there.

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
i almost attempted that but thought it might be better to stick with a simpler recipe for my first go at this. though i think i'll definitely try that in the near future. i'm trying to replicate the Orange Cream juice i usually get from MyFreedomSmokes. it's awesome. but since i don't know their recipe i'll just have to keep experimenting. just wish the steep times didn't take so long. :/

Head in Clouds has a simple recipe called "HIC's Creamsicles" with just two ingredients:

3% Tanger (Mandarin) (FA)
1.5% Vienna Cream (FA)

I haven't tried it, but probably will when I get FA Mandarin.

I hope someone who has tried the specific juice you're wanting to replicate will see this post and offer some ideas!

Reactions: Craybee

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
i almost attempted that but thought it might be better to stick with a simpler recipe for my first go at this.

Maybe for your _very first_ attempt this makes sense, but... as long as you have a decent scale the mixing part of mixing isn't very difficult, so as long as you're following someone else's recipe it's not really any harder to mix something with eight flavors than it is to mix something with two. After mixing a few recipes you'll have it down enough that you'll be able to mix a master mixer's recipes as well as they can, even recipes with lots of ingredients.

Now, when it comes to making your own recipes, or tweaking existing recipes to your tastes, that's a bit harder, and it might make sense to start with simpler recipes just to make it easier to tweak them. You can learn a lot just by adapting things to your tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread