Just now saw my 1st ever e-cig TV ad! Do you see amny e-cig ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighlanderNorth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Mid Atlantic USA
I just switched over to channel 13 from Comedy Central because there is no way I can watch that new show "The Burn" with Jeffrey Ross, and on the Cartoon network right now is American Dad, which may be the worst cartoon ever made.

So literally seconds after switching to Ion network on channel 13, I see a Blu ad. Thats the 1st ever e-cig TV ad for me which explains why almost nobody around here seems to know what the heck an e-cig is! Which also explains why I got such strange looks while vaping in the parking lot outside a Joann fabrics store the other day because I'd rather watch the Family Guy or The Burn with Jeffrey Ross than spend 15 seconds in a fabric store! But I was getting some looks from a few people outside smoking cigs and they looked perplexed at how I was blowing smoke after toking off of a brushed steel pen sized device!

Do you see many ads for e-cigs?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
It seems the As Seen on TeeVee! "free" scammer ads have all disappeared - thank god. But Blu has been running a very low key ad campaign in the after 09:00 p.m. time slots on network stations here. I see a Blu TV ad about once a week.

Does make you wonder about "the big picture" though. Someone out there is deciding this is "not tobacco" and "not smoking", otherwise Blu would never make it to air. Considering the FDA matters and local brouhaha's over banning e-cigs one could consider the Blu TV ads to be a small victory or a push in the right direction. At least if the ads were challenged - even if only on a flimsy premise that vaping is "a bad thing" - we now have a company large enough to wage a legal battle to keep their product, and it's advertising, in the market place.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Mid Atlantic USA

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
North Eastern Pennsylvania
The only problem is that Blu is no longer a stand alone company. Lorillard bought blu in april. Lorrillard owns Kent, Newport, True and other brands of cigarettes.
Now here is the difficult part.... why? was it because they lost in the first quarter, Hoping the purchase of blu and possibly other e cig brands would help the loss.
I don't know, but it does seem suspicious.

article
Cigarette maker Lorillard 1Q profit falls - BusinessWeek

It seems the As Seen on TeeVee! "free" scammer ads have all disappeared - thank god. But Blu has been running a very low key ad campaign in the after 09:00 p.m. time slots on network stations here. I see a Blu TV ad about once a week.

Does make you wonder about "the big picture" though. Someone out there is deciding this is "not tobacco" and "not smoking", otherwise Blu would never make it to air. Considering the FDA matters and local brouhaha's over banning e-cigs one could consider the Blu TV ads to be a small victory or a push in the right direction. At least if the ads were challenged - even if only on a flimsy premise that vaping is "a bad thing" - we now have a company large enough to wage a legal battle to keep their product, and it's advertising, in the market place.

hrlw817

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2012
St. Charles, MO

Have you noticed he never takes a puff on the Blu? Making me wonder WHO is behind this ad, since actual cigs aren't allowed to advertise on TV...makes me wonder a little..

KuroCz

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2012
east coast
Has anyone else noticed, having seen this commercial several times myself, that the actor spoke in short phrases and only made references to where he could vape as opposed to the health benefits of vaping? I'm pretty sure that this allowed Blu to advertise on TV without any negative backlash from the FDA.

This is key, since it keeps it squarely as a smoking alternative and not a health/medical device. Something to keep in mind when you're discussing vaping with people just becoming aware of it.

If enough people think vaping is a 'way to quit smoking', I'm sure the FDA may argue that makes it a defacto cessation device that falls under thier medical regulatory umbrella. Because e-juice comes in blueberry pancake chocolate drizzle, or gummibear flavor it's marketed toward kids? They will try anything.

I tried vaping because it's a alternative to smoking. I love smoking (honestly), but with vaping I can have my cake and eat it too. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread