Status
Not open for further replies.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
I take it from the total lack of talk about the Kangertech drip box 2, that it is on the bottom of everyone's "decent mod" list?

I quit vaping last year and during a stressful period last month, picked up a pack of analogs and have been smoking since.

I did a quick search for an inexpensive mod, knowing that in the ever evolving world of vaping, there were 1000s that I have not seen since I've been in the market for one. After seeing the Kangertech drip box 2, it's modest price, and checking a couple of reviews, I ordered one.

Between then and now (delivery should be today), I've read nothing but problems with the mod claiming a battery is dead, when it may still be at 3.6v.

Questions:
Has this issue been fixed?
Is it still a 1/2 way decent mod?
Did Kanger drop the ball on this one and not do anything to attempt to improve it? I,E. Am I likely getting an exact one that people were complaining about a year ago?

Thanks,
eHuman (Been a while, howdy to the old homies who know me)

Reactions: jifjifjif

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
Yo homie. The drip box is solid IMO. I have a white one and haven't had a problem with the paint that some have reported with the black and stainless. It isn't as reliable in temp control as my other mods, but the others are DNA boards and cant compare something that costs 5x more. Wattage mode is very reliable tho. I don't think batteries needing charged at 3.6 is a problem in my book, they're easy enough to swap out, and having 2 batteries running the mod can easily make it all day and sometimes multiple days with some good batteries. I've never had to complain about my drip box, but it has been left out of rotation because of my other choices (the dual battery, triangle configuration makes it not very pocket friendly). If the dripbox is what I had to keep me off analogs, that's what I would make work tho. I would not pay attention to what everyone's gripes are about it. Make it work for you, because like you pointed out, theres 1000's of choices to chase after.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
Yo homie. The drip box is solid IMO. I have a white one and haven't had a problem with the paint that some have reported with the black and stainless. It isn't as reliable in temp control as my other mods, but the others are DNA boards and cant compare something that costs 5x more. Wattage mode is very reliable tho. I don't think batteries needing charged at 3.6 is a problem in my book, they're easy enough to swap out, and having 2 batteries running the mod can easily make it all day and sometimes multiple days with some good batteries. I've never had to complain about my drip box, but it has been left out of rotation because of my other choices (the dual battery, triangle configuration makes it not very pocket friendly). If the dripbox is what I had to keep me off analogs, that's what I would make work tho. I would not pay attention to what everyone's gripes are about it. Make it work for you, because like you pointed out, theres 1000's of choices to chase after.

Thanks Twisted. Were you referring to the 160, or the dripbox 2? The drip 2, apparently as of a year, ago, loads of peeps reported that the battery would show empty after about an hour of use. If the battery was then taken out and put into another mod, it showed to be 3/4 full. I haven't seen anything written within the last 6 months on if this is still an issue. The chip doesn't (didn't?) want the battery to dip below 3.3v so it would predict (probably during a pull under load) that it was too close, and shut down. Typically when it was between 3.5 and 3.6 volts. I have plenty of Panny VTC4s to battle it though.

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
Yup, sorry. I was referring to the 160. I don't have any experience with the DB2. I would expect the problems people were having with the battery is with large builds. If your build doesn't pull too much current, I would imagine the battery issue isn't too much of a problem. It is a single battery mod that can do 80 watts. If you need all 80 watts, no single battery mod is going to last very long. Not sure of your preferred build tho. I will say that with budget rigs, there is always a bit of a trade off. If the battery issue is all there is, I'd consider that a win (as long as there are enough batteries in your arsenal). Once you get it and give it a workout, if you are having the short battery life issue, try a dab of noalox on the battery terminals to stave off any chance of poor contacts. I hope you find what your looking for, as far as a good alternative to smoking analogs. Good luck bro!

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
I’ve not had any problems with battery life with mine. I bought it when it first came out and, with a VTC5A, when the battery meter reaches zero bars it’s in the 3.3 to 3.4v range when I put it on a charger. I have read about people having problems, but it could be due to a bad batch rather than all. No problems with the finish either other than being a fingerprint magnet (I have it in SS).

The bottle is stiffer than the current generation of silicone bottles, but the way it is positioned allows for good leverage for pretty easy squonking. I've not had any leaking issues and, while the bottles are proprietary, you can pick up spares on FT for very little.

I don’t use it much any more not due to problems, but rather the battery cap. It's a royal pain in the .... for me to remove and replace it some days given my arthritis. If you have good/younger hands it should not pose a problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread