Kanger Protank 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
A video by GrimmGreen suggested that he takes all of the flavor wicks out from the get-go with any Protank head he uses. He said he was getting burned hits and was like, wait, I had better luck with this before, only to realize he didn't take any wicks out. I took all of my flavor wicks out in the PT2 and I'm giving it another shot. So far I haven't really hit a burned draw, but I am experiencing a small amount of flooding. I'll keep tokin on this flavor-wick-less PT2 for a bit and see if it turns into a usable non-flooding/non-burning device. After all, the Nova has no flavor wicks and it has performed great in my experience (pending I twirl it to keep the wicks saturated). Then again, with the Nova being top coil, I guess it wouldn't be that likely to 'flood' like a bottom coil device, which could back up the point of the flavor wicks in the first place. At any rate, I'm optimistic and pessimistic about it all at once. We'll see what happens... the night is young.

EDIT - I'm happy to report that with 0 flavor wicks in the PT2 head, I can vape @ 4.0v (2.7 ohm) without any degree of a burning taste*. The gurgling has also stopped as I continued vaping as well. Even when I sat my PV down upright for an hour, then vaped again, it was absolutely fine with no gurgling.

*The only downside is if I go through a chain vape phase, where literally 5 seconds after exhaling the vape, I light it up again, and repeat for several minutes at a time, I do eventually taste a slight distant degree of an altered flavor that resembles a slight burn to it. I just tried the same thing on my carto tank and after chain vaping like a banshee, and I noticed it there too. While the Protank 2 was sitting as I was using my carto tank, I suppose it had some time to 'recover', because I put the PT2 back on just now and the vape is absolutely fine with no sense of a distant burning flavor.

I guess moral of the story is, if you're chain vaping like a crazy person, eventually a bit of burnt taste is expected. At any rate, I am quite happy that with no flavor wicks, I am experiencing no gurgling and extremely minimal burning. This Protank 2 is now performing as I always wished it would have. The juice I am using is 80/20, for what it's worth.

While I will undoubtedly keep my carto tanks around, I think I might hang onto the PT2 as my primary device for a few days. I'm anxious to see if it holds up as obnoxiously well as my carto tanks have with the amount of vaping I've done in recent days. Time will tell, but for now, I'm pretty content with what I'm experiencing.

Last edited:

Scope666

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Glen Ridge, NJ
A video by GrimmGreen suggested that he takes all of the flavor wicks out from the get-go with any Protank head he uses. He said he was getting burned hits and was like, wait, I had better luck with this before, only to realize he didn't take any wicks out. I took all of my flavor wicks out in the PT2 and I'm giving it another shot. So far I haven't really hit a burned draw, but I am experiencing a small amount of flooding. I'll keep tokin on this flavor-wick-less PT2 for a bit and see if it turns into a usable non-flooding/non-burning device. After all, the Nova has no flavor wicks and it has performed great in my experience (pending I twirl it to keep the wicks saturated). Then again, with the Nova being top coil, I guess it wouldn't be that likely to 'flood' like a bottom coil device, which could back up the point of the flavor wicks in the first place. At any rate, I'm optimistic and pessimistic about it all at once. We'll see what happens... the night is young.

EDIT - I'm happy to report that with 0 flavor wicks in the PT2 head, I can vape @ 4.0v (2.7 ohm) without any degree of a burning taste*. The gurgling has also stopped as I continued vaping as well. Even when I sat my PV down upright for an hour, then vaped again, it was absolutely fine with no gurgling.

*The only downside is if I go through a chain vape phase, where literally 5 seconds after exhaling the vape, I light it up again, and repeat for several minutes at a time, I do eventually taste a slight distant degree of an altered flavor that resembles a slight burn to it. I just tried the same thing on my carto tank and after chain vaping like a banshee, and I noticed it there too. While the Protank 2 was sitting as I was using my carto tank, I suppose it had some time to 'recover', because I put the PT2 back on just now and the vape is absolutely fine with no sense of a distant burning flavor.

I guess moral of the story is, if you're chain vaping like a crazy person, eventually a bit of burnt taste is expected. At any rate, I am quite happy that with no flavor wicks, I am experiencing no gurgling and extremely minimal burning. This Protank 2 is now performing as I always wished it would have. The juice I am using is 80/20, for what it's worth.

While I will undoubtedly keep my carto tanks around, I think I might hang onto the PT2 as my primary device for a few days. I'm anxious to see if it holds up as obnoxiously well as my carto tanks have with the amount of vaping I've done in recent days. Time will tell, but for now, I'm pretty content with what I'm experiencing.

I have experimented a lot with this, and I think the real trick is how the wicks occupy that tiny square where they come out... the silicone cap that sits over it plays a part as well... you can kind of push it down more to make the holes smaller, or the opposite to let the wicks breath more. The trick is knowing based on your juice what you can get away with. With these bottom coils it's easy enough to try it out, and then make adjustments until you get it dialed in. (then you vape your face off after that)

Scope666

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Glen Ridge, NJ
So I adjusted the little cap on top of the air holes and I have not got a burn hit since. And since I am not dry puffing trying to avoid a burn hit, I have not flooded.

Next I will try a 2mm flavor wick and adjust the cap...

A good way to think of it is you want to completely occupy that little square with the least amount of wick possible. (juice should want to flow freely THROUGH the wick, but not be able to get around it and go directly in)

DrillRX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
California, USA
Hmm, let me think about this for a minute.......

You have had flooding, with a 80/20 mix, but a little burnt taste when trying to dry it out....

Then you pulled out the flavor wicks and no flooding if you vape it hard enough.....

But then you still get a little burnt taste after vaping it for a bit with 4 v @ 2.7 ohms.....

And the solution is...........

Leave the coils intact from the factory (all wicks in),
Adjust your juice to a 50/50 mix, (higher vapor production at lower voltage, and less of a chance of flooding)
Use a 1.8 ohm coil at a lower voltage, say around 3 to 3.5 (again, higher vapor production at lower voltage, less chance of burnt taste)

IMHO,

If it was just that easy right....LOL!!

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I'm having airflow issues with my ProTank 2 on certain mods, which I guess is fairly common. Some have no airflow at all when tightened down. Wondering what the available fixes are for that. I plan on getting the airflow controller and have 510 extenders that work, but I'd prefer to be able to use it without those if that's possible.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread