Kanger Protank II - Build new coil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeKosta

Nov 1, 2013
Sweden
Hello
I own bot the Kanger Protank 1 and 2 but the first one broke after accidently dropping it on hard floor.
Anyway, the coils for the protank 2 are burnt out. They are old and re-used and re-washed A LOT of times.

So I was thinking of building my own coil.
What I got to work with are:

(0.15mm)
Silica Wick (3mm)
Ekowool (3mm)
Mesh (#400)

and Cotton

I would love some kind of guide on how to do build it so if someone could point
me in the right direction would be very much appreciated!

Happy Christmas!

Last edited:

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
FL 510 (Over The Top Baby)
Hello
I own bot the Kanger Protank 1 and 2 but the first one broke after accidently dropping it on hard floor.
Anyway, the coils for the protank 2 are burnt out. They are old and re-used and re-washed A LOT of times.

So I was thinking of building my own coil.
What I got to work with are:

Kanthal tråd A1

Kanthal wire A1Kanthal tråd A1
Kanthal tråd A1
Kanthal tråd A1

(0.15mm)
Silica Wick (3mm)
Ekowool (3mm)
Mesh (#400)

and Cotton

I would love some kind of guide on how to do build it so if someone could point
me in the right direction would be very much appreciated!

Happy Christmas!
Kanthal tråd A1
Kanthal tråd A1

Kanthal tråd A1

I posted this on another thread, hopefully pictures will help a little. I suggest Youtube video's, that's where I learned (however I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once so as long as you have too your good to go).

Here's one of Rip Trippers videos, not necessarily the way you have to make your coil but will give you the basics for taking the head apart and reassembling it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIoH-mOXKsc

As promised, a series of pictures to hopefully explain better. I wrapped the coil with 28ga Kanthal A-1 and wound up with a 1.58 ohm micro-coil with 10/11 wrap.

I use just plain old cotton balls from Wal-Mart. I do not boil them, I do not care if they are organic. I DO NO CONDONE THIS, MY CHOICE, MY LIFE, MY WAY, I burned one to make sure they were 100% cotton as advertised and I use them just the way they are. Yes the first dozen vapes have an off taste but after that I have no problem with the taste and neither does my wife. Use your cotton your way, if you want to boil - go ahead, if you want organic - be my guest, if you want sterile - that's your decision and no one else's.

Then just to prove that you don't need a high end mod to drive a PT2 and make a cloud I grabbed a battery from my box that hasn't been charged in at least two months and took a picture of the first cloud less than 1 minute after putting the head in the tank. Yes I did pulse it with a $200 mechanical mod but totally unnecessary, as long as the first ohm check is above 1.0 then you could pulse it with anything. I ALWAYS check the ohms before attaching it to anything to make sure there isn't a short.

Tools and equipment-
PTRebuild01_zpsa85d8399.jpg

Disassembled head-
PTRebuild02_zps6b40adea.jpg

Initial wrap-
PTRebuild03_zpsd8176d0e.jpg

Setting coil-
PTRebuild04_zps2e16a999.jpg

Decent micro-coil-
PTRebuild05_zps2b5bcf7c.jpg

Coil on bit set in head-
PTRebuild06_zpsf5f0b340.jpg

Initial Ohms 1.29-
PTRebuild07_zps4d45d981.jpg

Pulsing on mechanical mod with 50% battery-
PTRebuild08_zps65834f69.jpg

Wicking with cotton-
PTRebuild09_zps93822c53.jpg

Cotton wick-
PTRebuild10_zps7e0aaf58.jpg

Reassembled and trimmed up-
PTRebuild11_zps55ec58bf.jpg

Final ohms - 1.58-
PTRebuild12_zps0ea84b4c.jpg

Proof on an ego-
PTRebuild13_zpsdcc12e3b.jpg

Vaping-
PTRebuild14_zps5a0b0293.jpg

And finally proof that a cloud can be had with a PT on an ego battery-
PTRebuild15_zps1691364b.jpg

Last edited:

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
FL 510 (Over The Top Baby)
NNNice job catalinaflyer! Jeez.

Excellent tutorial in pics.

Thanks, in fact I have been hammering that coil since I made that series of pictures yesterday morning. No, not quite the level of one of my high-end atomizers but still tons of flavor, supreme vapor and excellent for carrying around. However too much vapor for stealth and definitely too noisy at 3.9 volts.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Thanks, in fact I have been hammering that coil since I made that series of pictures yesterday morning. No, not quite the level of one of my high-end atomizers but still tons of flavor, supreme vapor and excellent for carrying around. However too much vapor for stealth and definitely too noisy at 3.9 volts.

And now you know why my evods and protanks are still on me egos when I am out and about ;)

Recoiled they do fairly well :)

floofgoofer

Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Napa, CA, USA
.15 is pretty small to start with, i would suggest finding something easier to work on.

Here is a handy wire guide: Kanthal Wire Guide

Here is a link to a dual coil tutorial I did for Protank 2 Protank dual coil build tutorial - Imgur
(no need for you to do two coils (except for the fact that you are using .15mm), Im only including so you can get a feel for the steps, and its the only full tutorial I have done)

LoudMike

Verified Member
Nov 25, 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
I posted this on another thread, hopefully pictures will help a little. I suggest Youtube video's, that's where I learned (however I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once so as long as you have too your good to go).

Here's one of Rip Trippers videos, not necessarily the way you have to make your coil but will give you the basics for taking the head apart and reassembling it. Nano Micro Coil build for Kanger Protank 2 - YouTube
Very cool! I just rebuilt my first Protank coil with 30 gauge and cotton wicking. 2.2 ohms and it's a beast. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread