• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Kanger Protank leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
I actually found my Protanks and now the Evods to be plug and play.. Once you figure out the eccentricities of the device.

The number one tip I got from reading the forums was to stuff a qtip (or in my case, a piece of tissue rolled up) up from the mouthpiece til you see it poking out from the center post when filling up.

Somehow, even if you use a needle bottle like I do, juice still manages to escape into the center post. Doing this has 100% solved any leaking issues for me. (Touch wood)

Aha! Try this experiment. Without the q tip or tissue, fill the protank until the liquid just touches the wicks. Wait for a while, then continue filling. If it doesn't leak, then you'll know the reason for the leak.

Qed. There are gaps between the wicks. When you fill up too fast, the wicks don't have time to expand to fill up the gaps. Filling slowly gives the wicks time to wick and expand and seal the gaps.
The point is to find the cause of the leak. If my above hypothesis is correct, then using cotton as flavour wicks should solve the problem.
Just my 0.00000002 cents.

Last edited:

kiryn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
Pandora
Aha! Try this experiment. Without the q tip or tissue, fill the protank until the liquid just touches the wicks. Wait for a while, then continue filling. If it doesn't leak, then you'll know the reason for the leak.

Qed. There are gaps between the wicks. When you fill up too fast, the wicks don't have time to expand to fill up the gaps. Filling slowly gives the wicks time to wick and expand and seal the gaps.
The point is to find the cause of the leak. If my above hypothesis is correct, then a cotton flavour wicks should solve the problem.
Just my 0.00000002 cents.

Interesting theory.

1. The Protank is filled upside down (as are the Evods). There is no way to give the wicks time to expand unless you prime them.

2. I usually refill when the tank is not totally empty, and unless I'm changing juices I don't bother cleaning them out. This means that the wicks ought to be still saturated with juice given that the Protank is a bottom coil.

My theory is that the leak occurs during filling. Juice escapes into the center post which is also the airflow. Stuffing tissue when filling will solve this. Once filled up and ensuring that the center post is clean no leakage should occur. YMMV.

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
Interesting theory.

1. The Protank is filled upside down (as are the Evods). There is no way to give the wicks time to expand unless you prime them.

2. I usually refill when the tank is not totally empty, and unless I'm changing juices I don't bother cleaning them out. This means that the wicks ought to be still saturated with juice given that the Protank is a bottom coil.

My theory is that the leak occurs during filling. Juice escapes into the center post which is also the airflow. Stuffing tissue when filling will solve this. Once filled up and ensuring that the center post is clean no leakage should occur. YMMV.

Awww shucks! Forgot about that. I still think that the gaps between the wicks are causing the leaks. I've been using mt3 and t3s and adjusting or changing the flavor wicks have been the easiest solution for me. My bad for forgetting that the protank is filled like the t3.

Is your device/protank always upright? I'm guessing yes, if you're having leaks.

Last edited:

kiryn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
Pandora
Awww shucks! Forgot about that. I still think that the gaps between the wicks are causing the leaks. I've been using mt3 and t3s and adjusting or changing the flavor wicks have been the easiest solution for me. My bad for forgetting that the protank is filled like the t3.

Is your device/protank always upright? I'm guessing yes, if you're having leaks.

No worries man, there's so many devices nowadays it gets confusing!

Actually, after the refilling, the Protank gets thrown into my carry case which goes into my bag. I use epipes mostly so the Protank does get laid on its side pretty often. No leaks at all, which is why I believe the leaking happens during filling.

Epic_Sinner

SG Mod
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wonderland

Actually, after the refilling, the Protank gets thrown into my carry case which goes into my bag. I use epipes mostly so the Protank does get laid on its side pretty often. No leaks at all, which is why I believe the leaking happens during filling.

Try to fill it full. Meaning fill till the juice touches the brim of the center post. When u insert ur coil head in, this gives reduced room for air pressure. Most leaks are caused by air pressure in the tank. So when u fill it full, the space is limited for air pressure, which will tighten the entire tank. Well, that's what I always do. And most of the time, if u read on other people's problems, most tanks leak when they are down to 1/3 of the tank.

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London

Whenever my t3 gurgles, I just lay my device on it's side and the vape fairy will come along and get rid of the gurgles. I swear. The gurgles magically disappear on my next vape! That's why I asked whether your device is upright most of the time. :laugh:

errolng

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Home
Whenever my t3 gurgles, I just lay my device on it's side and the vape fairy will come along and get rid of the gurgles. I swear. The gurgles magically disappear on my next vape! That's why I asked whether your device is upright most of the time. :laugh:

my protanks tend to leak and gurgle with certain juices when its left on its side for too long.
better for me to leave it upright haha

Craftio

Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Healthy Vaping Land
Great discussion we have going.
For my particular tank, I dont think the leaking stems from the filling process. Reason being that when I take the first 1-3 vapes on a freshly filled tank , i dont get spitting. Spitting only comes in around the 4th vape. This lets me conclude that the wick area is flooding with too much e-liquid and the excess which is not absorbed by the wicks is leaking from whatever gap there is there.

My silica wick and mesh should be reaching today or tmr. Will update on my sucess (or failure) after rebuilding the protank with 3mm silica.
I also ordered 1 more new protank to see whether this is a persistent problem or just happen that the leaking one is a lemon,

Cheers

Craftio

Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Healthy Vaping Land
So i got all my supplies in today and proceeded to build the wick for my Kanger protank.
Followed the instructions from THIS video. Built using 3mm silica wick and 32 AWG kanthal

How was the experience? EASY (and really fun)... just follow the instructions and you cant go wrong. Did it ok from the first time. Checked the ohms on the coil and it read 1.8ohms which is ok i guess. Checked for hotspots and it was looking quite ok from the get-go. No major hotspots.

So hows the vape.. and most importantly.. does it leak and spit when vaping??
The result??!!?? GREAT!! it vaped great, no dry hits and NO LEAKING or spitting. FANTASTIC. :laugh:

So my recommendation if you are having a problem with your protank? dun bother fiddling with the stock wicks or trying to seal it up. Just rebuild it. :banana:

will let it lie on its side for a while and see if over time any leaking develops. *cross fingers

Cheers folks.. Happy vaping!! :D

Epic_Sinner

SG Mod
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wonderland
So i got all my supplies in today and proceeded to build the wick for my Kanger protank.
Followed the instructions from THIS video. Built using 3mm silica wick and 32 AWG kanthal

How was the experience? EASY (and really fun)... just follow the instructions and you cant go wrong. Did it ok from the first time. Checked the ohms on the coil and it read 1.8ohms which is ok i guess. Checked for hotspots and it was looking quite ok from the get-go. No major hotspots.

So hows the vape.. and most importantly.. does it leak and spit when vaping??
The result??!!?? GREAT!! it vaped great, no dry hits and NO LEAKING or spitting. FANTASTIC. :laugh:

So my recommendation if you are having a problem with your protank? dun bother fiddling with the stock wicks or trying to seal it up. Just rebuild it. :banana:

will let it lie on its side for a while and see if over time any leaking develops. *cross fingers

Cheers folks.. Happy vaping!! :D

Nice going there.

Craftio

Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Healthy Vaping Land
So heres a quick update.
1 hr after i let it sit awhile, i tried vaping it again (on Vamo)... vape still as good no leaking so far.
However I do note that the protank has quite an airy draw. A quick google search revealed that this is a common complaint. I was testing covering the air holes at the bottom of the tank to see whether gives me a tighter draw (it does) .. When it starting leaking and spitting AGAIN.. #$%^#%@^^#!! Note that this time i had it on my provari.

Well after i washed out my mouth.. i opened up the wick again and added another 3mm silica on top of the existing wick to see if that will stop the leaking. (so that makes it a total of 2 wicks now. 1 with the coil and 1 acting like a flavor wick)
Now after 5 mins.. no leaking/spitting and the draw is slightly tighter. So its giving me a good vape again. Lets hope it stays that way..

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
Tighter draw, so you naturally suck harder, juice gets sucked into the tube through the gaps, causing the leaking and spitting.

You added another flavor wick, so draw becomes tighter, you suck harder, yet it doesn't leak. That's because there are no more gaps. If you don't chain vape, its OK. But if you do get dry hits, then just prime it by sucking on it before firing.

Do you agree that the leaking is caused by the flavor wicks?

Craftio

Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Healthy Vaping Land
Tighter draw, so you naturally suck harder, juice gets sucked into the tube through the gaps, causing the leaking and spitting.

You added another flavor wick, so draw becomes tighter, you suck harder, yet it doesn't leak. That's because there are no more gaps. If you don't chain vape, its OK. But if you do get dry hits, then just prime it by sucking on it before firing.

Do you agree that the leaking is caused by the flavor wicks?

After testing the protank for 1 whole day, i think i agree with you.
So after laying the tank on its side the whole nite, whole day of carrying it around in my pocket in various positions, i am happy to say..NO LEAKs watsoever and NO spitting at all. Looks like the optimum setup ( as least for me and this particular protank ) is using 2 pieces of 3mm silica wick . Juice i am vaping is 50/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread