Kanger protank rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

PariahNine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I'm also having a heck of a time getting all the coils to stay perfectly flush. This is after watching the video half a dozen times, following his instruction as implicitly and precisely as possible. Only variance here is that he's using 29g and I'm using 32g. Does the gauge make that much of a difference in getting the coils tight?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I'm also having a heck of a time getting all the coils to stay perfectly flush. This is after watching the video half a dozen times, following his instruction as implicitly and precisely as possible. Only variance here is that he's using 29g and I'm using 32g. Does the gauge make that much of a difference in getting the coils tight?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Darn PN. I'm sorry I missed these two posts from you. I try to keep tabs on threads I'm trying to redirect to the tutorials. But I'm really glad to see you (and many others) directing folks to the starting point for coil localization, Metalhed's thread. I hated when coils just lasted me a day or two. And tension's just made getting solid coils that much easier. They're Eveready bunny's. I hope you've been able to get tension ironed out. If not feel free to tap me on the shoulder.

Good luck.

Happy Easter everyone.

:)

313893d1394460029-protank-cotton-rebuild-way-i-do-img_0535a.jpg

Last edited:

losthasher

Jan 2, 2012
United States
There's a question halfway down in bold type, but I wanted to write this out in a linear fashion. I averaged out all the input from ECF and watched a ton of videos. Here's a rebuild that finally worked.

Ingredients: Kanger Mini Protank 2, eGo-C batteries (3.2v?), dual-coil clone atomizers (approx 2 ohm), VG/PG mix of unknown ratio.

Problem: The straight-out-of-the-box atomizers were turds; burning up in a day and gurgling.

Solution: 32-gauge Kanthal A1, 2mm braided hollow Ekowool, medium-sized safety pin, nail clippers, scotch tape and a multimeter.
I tried a bunch of different wick setups, all being too difficult and/or gurgle-y. The winning wick setup was doubling over the Ekowool, wrapping both pieces with the Kanthal and putting them in the larger dual-coil slot. No gurgle... finally. 4 wraps was 2.5 ohms and not burning hot enough. 3 wraps was 1.8 ohms and burns just a little too hot.

Question: If I want to bump up to around 2 ohms, do I try 30-gauge Kanthal or 34?

Three notes:
--The safety pin trick works great. I can wrap the Kanthal tight around the double wick to make sure none of the wraps touch each other and just pull the pin out after I get the atomizer pieces together.
--The Ekowool is flattish. After cutting off a piece and doubling it over, I scotch-tape the fraying ends so both pieces stand tall, one on top of the other. After wrapping with the Kanthal, both wick ends are still standing tall enough so I don't have to fight getting them in the atomizer slot. Does that even make sense?
--The nail clippers work great to cut the Kanthal and trim the wick.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

[Edit: I also "burned" the Kanthal with a butane torch before wrapping. And if you want a really good ohm reading, you have to 1) make sure you touch the black and red multimeter leads together, get THAT resistance and subtract it from your original atomizer reading 2) make sure your black and red lead wires that connect to the multimeter aren't wrapped around each other.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread