Kawfee beanz, DIY and assorted Shenaniganery :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
it should not be snowin anywhere now! at least not in the lower 48

wow.......that is so kewl! Love it!!

You'd be amazed what folks make outta pallets. The really nice ones now are being sold for way too much than you should ever have to pay for a pallet.
I completely agree about the snow.It was 81 here on Friday,and in the 70's all weekend,but right now it is 35 with snow blowing hard enough to barely see where your going.I hate this stupid weather haha.

Thanks.

There are a lot of really good pallets that are still free around here,i've been watching craigslist for people giving away cut down trees,and see really nice pallets all the time on there,i just never bothered to go for any since i already had a few and wasn't planning to make anything to actually keep from them,but after doing that bowl,now i am going to start stacking those up too.My wife will end up divorcing me if i keep piling up wood but i'll take my chances haha.She's already complaining about the large stack of cherry under the car port,but i told her if i run across a walnut tree someone had cut down,i will bring the whole tree home haha.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I completely agree about the snow.It was 81 here on Friday,and in the 70's all weekend,but right now it is 35 with snow blowing hard enough to barely see where your going.I hate this stupid weather haha.

Thanks.

There are a lot of really good pallets that are still free around here,i've been watching craigslist for people giving away cut down trees,and see really nice pallets all the time on there,i just never bothered to go for any since i already had a few and wasn't planning to make anything to actually keep from them,but after doing that bowl,now i am going to start stacking those up too.My wife will end up divorcing me if i keep piling up wood but i'll take my chances haha.She's already complaining about the large stack of cherry under the car port,but i told her if i run across a walnut tree someone had cut down,i will bring the whole tree home haha.
that is nuts about those kinda temp extremes. Make her a great pallet table or book case or sumpthin and you'll win her over hehehe Check letgo too, that's where I see a lotta pallets.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
We have 12 inches on the ground, and I should be planting my garden. :mad: The average last frost day is in ten days.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
We have 12 inches on the ground, and I should be planting my garden. :mad: The average last frost day is in ten days.
I guess ours isn't so bad then haha.It was snowing pretty hard,but none stuck on the ground,only on the cars and stuff,but even that didn't stay long,now if the cold would go away with it then i'd be happy.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
that is nuts about those kinda temp extremes. Make her a great pallet table or book case or sumpthin and you'll win her over hehehe Check letgo too, that's where I see a lotta pallets.
They have always said,if you don't like the weather in Ohio,just wait 10 minutes and it will change,that holds true every year haha.
I like the table idea,i started searching pallet projects a little while ago and seen all kinds of stuff i would of never thought of using them for.
I forgot about letgo,i've heard of it but never checked it out,so i'll have to look there too.I've been watching craigslist,fb marketplace,and offer up,so i'll add letgo to that list.

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
And here is the finished piece
LgpI6aM.jpg

If i had known it would turn out nice,i would of taken a bit more time to get the boards fitted better,but now that i know this will work,i plan to make another of these,but deeper on the next one,this one is only about 3" deep on the inside,the next will be probably about 6" deep.
Now that is a gorgeous looking bowl.

well I reckin ya got sumpthin........hope it was the TomKatt stuff. Big pellets that work well. Makes em stink super bad, but they work great. Hope you get that bugger
Yes, I got some of the TomKatt products.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Not being someone who rushes into things, I e-filed my taxes this morning. Glad that is over with for another year.
I'm sort of the same way.I always file my state and federal pretty early,because i know i'll get a refund,but my city return is another story.Every year i put the city off until the last minute,and really don't even know why i wait so long,i never owe them anything,and it only takes like 10 minutes to do their form,but every year i still wait haha.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I'm trying to adjust my W4 witholdings. My best guesstimate, looking at some summary changes at Forbes, and doing puts and takes (a little salary adjustment, factor in the new standard deduction and deleting the exemptions) is that maybe we'll save a couple hundred compared to 2017.

Unfortunately our present witholding is under-paying, so we might owe about $800, which I don't like (my goal is to be a couple hundred positive come filing time).

Working for a humongous firm they might provide a W4 tool that allows you to see what the weekly witholding will be as a function of how many allowances you claim and base filing status, but heck no. It's blindfolded darts - plug in a number of allowances, then check your pay withheld 2 weeks from now to see what that change did :)

Of course, when I launch the company tool it opens with a vanilla two allowances (married), no additional witholding each week. I'm pretty sure that's not what is actually being used right now, since the IRS estimator tool tells me to claim 5 allowances (I guess our 3 dogs count :) ), that that should get more $ withheld each week than at present.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
That's what I did historically, but it's been years since I had to touch it (I had it dialed in pretty well).

I'm sure I had an extra weekly withholding $ specified, and pretty confident that my base was something like 3 or 4 allowances. When the company's W4 tool opened showing 2/$0 that was an "oh, heck" moment, I'm pretty sure that doesn't reflect anything at all.

Yay, I found the 2018 withholding basis is $4150, or $4150/52 is about $80/week :) Based on our marginal rate we can map that directly, each allowance maps to $X/wk of tax withheld.

Now I can take a semi-rational stab at withholdings, check in 10 days, and make a coherent adjustment (since I have a decent idea of what each allowance maps to in $/wk of tax withheld).

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Since we had a stretch of good weather over the weekend,i finally decided to work on a project i wanted to do for a while,but it had been too cold until this weekend.Up until now,all the bowls i've made have been small,but i've wanted to make a bigger one.I didn't want to waste any of the good cherry wood to practice on haha,so i took an old pallet i had sitting around,cut a bunch of pieces and glued them all together to get a good sized practice piece.After finally finishing it up today,i actually really like it,it has that rustic look.I call this my patchwork bowl haha.
Here is what i started with
FDJVsXN.jpg

LgpI6aM.jpg

If i had known it would turn out nice,i would of taken a bit more time to get the boards fitted better,but now that i know this will work,i plan to make another of these,but deeper on the next one,this one is only about 3" deep on the inside,the next will be probably about 6" deep.
That turned out great! It would make a good fruit bowl.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Thatcs funny. My employer charged 10.00 a pallet to customers & gave them credit for the ones they returned on the next truck. Way back when I had to bust people for syealing pallets from behind the stores.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I guess ours isn't so bad then haha.It was snowing pretty hard,but none stuck on the ground,only on the cars and stuff,but even that didn't stay long,now if the cold would go away with it then i'd be happy.
Our last cold snap is usually late March/April. I'm hoping this was the last one. We are in mid 70's during the day & 50's at night.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I'm sort of the same way.I always file my state and federal pretty early,because i know i'll get a refund,but my city return is another story.Every year i put the city off until the last minute,and really don't even know why i wait so long,i never owe them anything,and it only takes like 10 minutes to do their form,but every year i still wait haha.
Make them wait for it!

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
That turned out great! It would make a good fruit bowl.

Thanks.That was my first thought too,and my wife wants a large bowl to use as a center piece for the table to put fruit or whatever else in,but i'm going to make something a bit nicer since it will be a display piece haha.It's supposed to warm up some this weekend,so i'm going to cut some of the cherry i have and make one from that.I plan to make that one a bit deeper and then make a pedestal on the bottom.At least that's the plan is to make it all fancy like haha.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Since we had a stretch of good weather over the weekend,i finally decided to work on a project i wanted to do for a while,but it had been too cold until this weekend.Up until now,all the bowls i've made have been small,but i've wanted to make a bigger one.I didn't want to waste any of the good cherry wood to practice on haha,so i took an old pallet i had sitting around,cut a bunch of pieces and glued them all together to get a good sized practice piece.After finally finishing it up today,i actually really like it,it has that rustic look.I call this my patchwork bowl haha.
Here is what i started with
FDJVsXN.jpg

LgpI6aM.jpg

This bowl sings to my heart !
I love it !

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
OK, I am going to have to rethink this whole glue pads for the rat. A rat got stuck in one this morning, 1:00 am. It really made a racket waking both me and my daughter. I used a pickup stick to capture the rat and the glue pad as I was going outside. Syndee was in front of me opening doors and as we got outside the rat slipped its bonds and ran away. My question for those of you that have used the glue pads, how do you get the rat out of the house and kill the critter? I'm thinking of an orange bucket with a lid from Home Depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread