Kawfee beanz, DIY and assorted Shenaniganery :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kodak

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2015
Missouri...or the state of Misery.
Lol... Burr grinder tends to give more even, consistent grind and as a result, better flava... The Cuisinart one really wasn't too spendy and has held up well

Sent from Tapavapatalk

I'll have to check into it...I don't often have time (except weekends) to grind coffee and actually enjoy it. But I do like the good stuff on the weekends!

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
I'll have to check into it...I don't often have time (except weekends) to grind coffee and actually enjoy it. But I do like the good stuff on the weekends!
+1 on the cuisinart burr, and i'my pretty sure that's what @markfm uses too. Unanymous! ;)

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I ended up going with the Capresso Infinity burr grinder -- $75 from casa dot com. Very high ratings from the coffee equipment sites, trivial to use.

The only gotcha at all is the initial assembly, getting the bean hopper installed. The thing the bean hopper goes onto is a little round piece with a slot (that matches a tab sticking out of the hopper). Rotate the little round piece (a screwdriver in the slot would work fine) until the bean hopper drops in cleanly. I actually screwed up one grinder (broke the plastic tab on the bean hopper) by forcing things that weren't aligned right. Casa was good about a replacement of the unit, since the instructions didn't touch on the topic.

I also just ordered two of the Ritual french presses off Amazon, for work and home. I'll grind at home, bring some in in a mason jar for work. Think I'll follow the LLB shortcut approach -- nuke the water in the carafe, add the ground beans and steep.

Last edited:

LouisLeBeau

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
I ended up going with the Capresso Infinity burr grinder -- $75 delivered from casa dot com. Very high ratings from the coffee equipment sites, trivial to use.

The only gotcha at all is the initial assembly, getting the bean hopper installed. The thing the bean hopper goes onto is a little round piece with a slot (that matches a tab sticking out of the hopper). Rotate the little round piece (a screwdriver in the slot would work fine) until the bean hopper drops in cleanly. I actually screwed up one grinder (broke the plastic tab on the bean hopper) by forcing things that weren't aligned right. Casa was good about a replacement of the unit, since the instructions didn't touch on the topic.

I also just ordered two of the Ritual french presses off Amazon, for work and home. I'll grind at home, bring some in in a mason jar for work. Think I'll follow the LLB shortcut approach -- nuke the water in the carafe, add the ground beans and steep.

I think ya gonna enjoy the "agitate the water" part. It looks so serene until ya put the chopstick in and give it a good scramble. Amazes me how much boil is still in it. :)

200F is teh goal, supposably. ;)

Reactions: markfm

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
The DBM-8 has had huge sales, lots of happy users. What the Capresso got me was a true conical burr grinder with even grind size (DBM-8 takes a hit for lower uniformity).

I figure the Capresso will give me a good grind for both coarse grind french press as well as espresso.

LouisLeBeau

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
The DBM-8 has had huge sales, lots of happy users. What the Capresso got me was a true conical burr grinder with even grind size (DBM-8 takes a hit for lower uniformity).

I figure the Capresso will give me a good grind for both coarse grind french press as well as espresso.

I admit that I see a surprising variance within a single grind, but it does accomplish the most notable difference between burr and blade, not heating your beanz. :)

Reactions: markfm

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Just think of the blade grinder giving the beans a turbo boost :)

I wasn't thinking french press when I went to the Capresso, but I did want to do the best possible for an espresso grind for under $100 (arbitrary cutoff); DW likes her cappy :) The Capresso and one other were true conical burr units, pretty much neck-and-neck in reviews, I was very happy to scarf one for $75 (15% WELCOMEHOME discount).

On the variance within a grind, that contributes to the brew being slightly off-peak, since some particles may be over-extracted while others are under-extracted.

Any who, so far I've been playing mainly with a medium grind for drip, and my is it awesome :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LouisLeBeau

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows

Canno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
SE Tennessee, USA
Just think of the blade grinder giving the beans a turbo boost :)

I wasn't thinking french press when I went to the Capresso, but I did want to do the best possible for an espresso grind for under $100 (arbitrary cutoff); DW likes her cappy :) The Capresso and one other were true conical burr units, pretty much neck-and-neck in reviews, I was very happy to scarf one for $75.

On the variance within a grind, that contributes to the brew being slightly off-peak, since some particles may be over-extracted while others are under-extracted.

Any who, so far I've been playing mainly with a medium grind for drip, and my is it awesome :)
Likes the "SCARF"

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I was thinking I was going to pack up and bail out of here this afternoon, but I forgot I have a client I'm supposed to call! Should be a VERY short call - then hasta la vista, baby!

Well, even though I didn't really need it, I plopped an order to HeavenGifts. Don't know why, just shinyitus kicking in again :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread