Kayfun Clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

eda123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Austin
Thanks sandt, yeah I have a russian too.

I found the tobeco does still use a fill port screw that will rust. Soaked it in water and it rusted overnight pretty good. I don't like that one bit! I could have just bought a replacement screw but my view of tobeco is now tainted. In the trash it goes.

Sent from my Provari Mini using Tapatalk

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
i have not noticed rust on my FT clone (1st round of 3.1's). i love the way it vapes and i dont want to sent it back but i did notice that its not 100% ss. some little parts are chromed. but i dont know if its worth sending it back just to receive another that is not 100% ss. the fill valve or some other inside part could be chromed. has anyone sent their FT 3.1 clone back and received a 100% ss one?

I received my Tobeco clone 4 days after ordering it on EBay from a seller called Diamond Vapes and paid $40
I am extremely happy with it

a buddy of mine ordered 1 of those puppies from Diamond, then ordered 4 more. i myself got an hcigar nemesis from diamond. good vendor.

Last edited:

bizzy511

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
garden grove ca

I found the tobeco does still use a fill port screw that will rust. Soaked it in water and it rusted overnight pretty good. I don't like that one bit! I could have just bought a replacement screw but my view of tobeco is now tainted. In the trash it goes.

i have the kayfin lite clone from FT, but have never taken out the fill screw. i always fill from the top. If it was rusting, i would see the rust on the deck, right?

eda123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Austin
I would think it would rust first on the end of the screw, which is always in contact with juice.

Keep in mind mine rusted in water. It may take much longer to rust with juice due to different electrolytics. Who knows maybe it will never rust with juice. I just didn't want to take that chance and inhale oxidized metal.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR

If you bought it from FastTech, you can open a ticket and they will send you a stainless replacement set. a quick soak in Coke will remove any rust stains on the atty itself.

i have not noticed rust on my FT clone (1st round of 3.1's). i love the way it vapes and i dont want to sent it back but i did notice that its not 100% ss. some little parts are chromed. but i dont know if its worth sending it back just to receive another that is not 100% ss. the fill valve or some other inside part could be chromed. has anyone sent their FT 3.1 clone back and received a 100% ss one?

a buddy of mine ordered 1 of those puppies from Diamond, then ordered 4 more. i myself got an hcigar nemesis from diamond. good vendor.
I believe that FT replaced the bottom deck with a stainless one for members who purchased the 3.1 and opened a ticket.

bizzy511

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
garden grove ca
I would think it would rust first on the end of the screw, which is always in contact with juice.

Keep in mind mine rusted in water. It may take much longer to rust with juice due to different electrolytics. Who knows maybe it will never rust with juice. I just didn't want to take that chance and inhale oxidized metal.

I think I will take it out and place it in water for a day or two. thanks for the info.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
Out of the kfl from ft, the so called russian 91% from vb and the kfl+ from 101vape, all of which came in tobeco boxes, the kfl+ from 101 is much better quality. At least as far as machining. They all vape the same though.
The kfl+ looks the best.
The 91% from vb needed the airholes drilled out because of burrs.
The fill screws on them need to be changed out. They are all garbage. I stripped 2, and I'm pretty careful.
None of them had deck screws that would attract a magnet.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I made a mistake tonight. I decided to change things up and make and run a dual micro coil in my kayfun. It ohm'd out at 2.4 and I'm running it at 5.2 volts.

And then I added Pluid. Can you say "fog machine?" I haven't vaped in about 20 minutes and I still feel over nic'd. :p Tastes almost like a Genny. :D

eda123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Austin
I made a mistake tonight. I decided to change things up and make and run a dual micro coil in my kayfun. It ohm'd out at 2.4 and I'm running it at 5.2 volts.

And then I added Pluid. Can you say "fog machine?" I haven't vaped in about 20 minutes and I still feel over nic'd. :p Tastes almost like a Genny. :D

Pictures please!!!!!! :D

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Pictures please!!!!!! :D
Okay, not the best pics. I took the cotton yarn ends and crossed them over to the other side, so the left coil was wicking from the right side, and vice versa. This solves the problem of one side wicking better than the other, because the tails overlap. That was how it was explained in another thread anyways. Works too. It's a real bear getting everything to fit, though. The coils are about the ugliest I've ever made, but things were pushed and pulled to make them fit. If I do it again, I'm going to go with smaller wraps for sure.
P1000156_zps8ac704df.jpg

P1000159_zps24a0b78e.jpg

P1000160_zps532a9225.jpg

P1000161_zps66e0e66a.jpg

P1000162_zps3aa26b00.jpg

Last edited:

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
I have raised this issue at the FT forum and especially for the Refill ball-bearing valve I never got an answer. The issue became apparent through a group order of the Hcigar version in Australia. All the screws are replaceable by the user but the ball-bearing valve (+spring) is not. Hcigar replaced the bases for all (in the group order) because of the valve.
I am expecting an Hcigar one from the US and according to the vendor who communicated with Hcigar everything is 100% SS now (incl the valve + spring).

As far as the fasttech version is concerned I wouldn't bet my money on it unless I got a definite answer from someone there or through a test.

It is easy to test by soaking the atomizer in water for a few hours or overnight. If the valve parts and the screws are not SS the difference in metals will cause galvanic corrosion through the water which acts as an electrolyte and rust will appear. Our liquids are worse electrolytes than water and slower to act bu it will happen eventually.

Right now I would only get the lite from there which I just received recently and it is a Tobeco clone. The threads are not the best to be honest and compared to every original atomizer I have they are really rough. E.g. compared to my DID & Gemini from MMV which are extremely smooth and high quality.

I have ordered 2 original replacement kits for the lite clone from fastech (incl the o-rings) just to be sure. However, as I said above you can't replace the ball-bearing valve with the spring on the 3.1 so if you get it you gamble.

All in all, if the Kayfun suits my taste I will probably get an original unless the Aqua proves to better (will also get a clone to try).

Now I'm worried, ..... I just ordered an hcigar kayfun 3.1 clone from Vape luxury that's supposed to arrive today. Do you know if they've resolved/remedied the issues you pointed out? I'm metaphorically biting my nails, possibly fingers as well, (why not, it's just a metaphor, let's get dramatic here lol) in frightened anticipation and with bated breath.

mbliffert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2014
Ocean Springs, MS
I also received a Hcigar 3.1 a few days ago. After a thorough cleaning I didn't notice any rust. It's been built and filled now for 48 hours with no leaks of any kind, however I didn't trust the fill valve from the beginning and have been top filling it.

If I was to purchase another, I'd buy another black edition off of eBay. Comparing to the original and other clones this appears to me to be the best for the price. It does cost a bit more, but you get pretty good threading and machining, as well as a fill screw instead of a fill valve. I currently have two and have not experienced any leaking, or any wicking issues/dry hits either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread