Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Just got a kayfun Lite. Set it up based on this video:
Kayfun 3.1 | How to Wick & Fill - Easy! | NO LEAKS NO GURGLING | 2vaped.com - YouTube
And it vapes very wet, like the coils is flooded, and juice leaks out the air hole. I probably have a little more cotton in my wick than he does, but otherwise I followed it pretty faithfully. I initially top-filled, as shown, with the air hole blocked and inverting to let the air bubble rise to the bottom.

Initially, I had some gurgling and leaking, but after blowing it out, that went away, but it still vaped pretty wet. I emptied the tank, swabbed out the excess juice that was in various places, and filled via the bottom port. Still a very wet vape.

So, I have some speculation.

As I understand it, since the coil is near the bottom of the tank, the Kayfun relies on air pressure to keep juice from flowing up into the chimney, based on the tank being sealed. Same principle as inverting a drink glass and pushing it down in water -- the air stays in the glass as long as there's no path for the air to escape. All my gaskets are intact, so I'm not seeing any way for air to leak into the tank.

I have the air flow set for a pretty tight draw, so maybe that's just pulling too much juice through the channels?

More cotton = more juice delivered to the coil, and 1.8 ohm just can't deal with it.

I need to block the air hole, even when filling using the bottom port.

Any more advice, before I go charging off into fiddling with it some more?

SurphKid11

Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cherry Hill, NJ/Philly
Kayfuns dont need a lot of cotton at all as long as you know how and where to place your cotton on the deck, use just enough so it can reach the bottom deck and sit right above the juice channels. i dont use much cotton in my builds and have had no flooding or dry hits. after i rebuild mine and fill it up i always have a little bit of flooding so i usually take a few long draws on it than i just turn it upside down for a few seconds and it usually fixes it to get all that initial juice out. Yes, a tighter draw will feed more liquid into it so you may want to adjust it if its constantly being flooded. Are you using an authentic or clone? i ask because ive had absolutely no problems whatsoever with an authentic. My Kayfun Lite Plus (second batch) vapes like an absolute dream. check out GrimmGreens kayfun lite video and see his cotton placement. good cotton amount and placement along with the perfect airflow should fix your problem. i usualy have mine between 1.1-1.8 ohms at around 13-15 watts on my Hana.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
If you copied that amount of wick, you should be good because it didn't look over wicked at all. Sometimes if the wick tails are to close to the edge of drop down juice can slide off wick and puddle under coil. This sometimes happens with shorter coils because of the extra tail distance. Imagine a longer coil and shorter tail where the wick tail is more clear of the edge. Not that you need a longer coil but just trying to give you a visual, if you have a longer coil, the tails don't sort of touch the drop down edge so it has less of a chance of getting juice from the tail to the deck. There are a few reasons of gurgling and this is just one possibility.

SurphKid11

Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cherry Hill, NJ/Philly
Mine is a Russian 91%. I'm running 1.8 on a mech, so 3.7V nominal.

run your coils a little hotter, try building it at 1.1-1.3/1.5. since you're using a mech you obviously cant adjust your output, it sounds like your build isnt keeping up with the wicking and with your tighter airflow you're just sucking in excessive amounts of juice thats not burning at the same rate. i just ordered a russian last night, ive heard nothing but great things about them. there are "authentic" and clone russians too, incase you didnt know.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Yes, I've noticed the "Russian" problem, as Svoemetso is Russian. From what I've seen, "Russian 91%" is the clone, and Svoemetso is the original. (Ignoring the other ones.)

it sounds like your build isnt keeping up with the wicking and with your tighter airflow you're just sucking in excessive amounts of juice thats not burning at the same rate

OK, that's what I was figuring. Don't want to open the airflow too much though. I enjoy the long battery life I get at 1.8, so I'm not keen on changing that too much either. Well, sounds as if I'm on the right track in what I was thinking.

f you have a longer coil, the tails don't sort of touch the drop down edge so it has less of a chance of getting juice from the tail to the deck.

I was thinking about that as a possible problem -- a nice easy path there for juice from the wick to the draft hole.

I think I have enough hints here to try it again. Thanks guys.

SurphKid11

Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cherry Hill, NJ/Philly
Yes, I've noticed the "Russian" problem, as Svoemetso is Russian. From what I've seen, "Russian 91%" is the clone, and Svoemetso is the original. (Ignoring the other ones.)

OK, that's what I was figuring. Don't want to open the airflow too much though. I enjoy the long battery life I get at 1.8, so I'm not keen on changing that too much either. Well, sounds as if I'm on the right track in what I was thinking.

I think I have enough hints here to try it again. Thanks guys.

Yes the Russian technically is a clone of the kayfun but its a 1:1 and built just as good hence why its the same price as a kayfun but there are clones of the russian itself.

dropping it to 1.4-1.5 could mean all the difference without sacrificing much battery life compared to a 1.8. Good luck man! once you get it right you will know why these RTA's are the best juice delivery system available.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
kfl_coil.jpg

Here's the 2nd try. 28ga., and with less cotton. Better, but still too wet. (Prior coil was 30ga.)

Also, these are the worst threads I've ever encountered.

Need to give up for today. Too many other things to get done today.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Got back at it. Now at 1.65, and I tightened up the coil, and pulled some of the cotton out of the wick. Much better, but not quite there.

I also replaced the ridiculous post screw mine came with. The head was so small, it wouldn't grab the wire. The new one is the slotted head. Sure glad there's a hardware store nearby that carries this sort of stuff. (If you're in the Denver area, A&A Tradin' Post, on S. Broadway)

I wonder if there should be an o-ring there at the base of the chimney. Looks like there's a cove machined for one. I can get those at A&A Tradin' Post too, so I might try that out -- might restrict liquid flow a bit too, if it doesn't fully obscure the channels, and that might be a good thing.

Yes, I'm really trying to stay in the 1.8 range.

More pics, because I'm a picture takin' mood.

kfl_top.jpg kfl_side.jpg

And, just for fun, on a Mako Midi -- not my usual mod. :)
kfl_mako.jpg

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Check your o-rings, I had a problem with mine leaking and once I swapped out the o-rings my problem was solved.

Heh. Out of the box, it came with one broken one. Fortunately, it was on the clear insert, so I could replace it with one from the stainless insert. Yeah, that's another item for my hardware store list -- just forgot today.

I'm sorely tempted to put some red rouge, or diamond paste, on all the threads, and polish them up.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Did you open up the channels? Looks extra deep in the pics, one can even see the burs, like as if they weren't even filed down properly. I actually did this to my authentic but still they are not that deep.
Overall that device looks pretty cheaply made, if you never find or can fix the issue, don't think all kayfuns are the same and give up on them because sometimes it could just be a poorly made clone

Last edited:

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
I did notice the burrs. Nothing here to compare it to for channel depth. Got it from a reputable vendor, so I assume it's a real Russian, rather than a counterfeit (counterfeit clone ... uh :facepalm:). I've thought I might stuff some wick in the channels too, as something to try. And no, I haven't done anything to it, other than replace one screw. But at half price, I guess I can't complain too much.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I did notice the burrs. Nothing here to compare it to for channel depth. Got it from a reputable vendor, so I assume it's a real Russian, rather than a counterfeit (counterfeit clone ... uh :facepalm:). I've thought I might stuff some wick in the channels too, as something to try. And no, I haven't done anything to it, other than replace one screw. But at half price, I guess I can't complain too much.
Hard to tell from photos so can't really say. As for stuffing channels, don't really think it will help you flood gurgle issue, in fact it will make it worse. If you have a wick down in juice it's going to constantly wick and really flood, plus the vertical channel is to small. I have tried it in the past just to see and there was no difference in the vape. How deep is the vertical channel? In the pic I can see the horizontal channel (which looks super deep) but cannot see the vert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread