Kayfun/Russian technology and form factor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagondun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2012
Albany, NY USA
Hey Everyone,

I really adore my KFL and plan to get a Russian 91% as soon as ye ole budget allows. The one gripe I have --and yes, it is a plus in more than one sense, too-- is the hulking size. It wouldn't be a problem if my only regulated vape wasn't a VTR; but, as it stands, I need to use the huge adapter and end up with a honkin, conspicuous, and even sorta ugly setup when I'm out and about. This brings me to my question:

Are there any out there who have or plan to have an even smaller kayfun-esque design in an even smaller package than the kayfun lite? I don't know if a smaller form factor would just plain preclude the technology, or if it is just a matter of time til I see a Russian/kayfun design that I can shove into my VTR.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Last edited:

hexagondun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2012
Albany, NY USA
As far as I know, the smallest Kayfun-style RBA available stock is the KFL. Have you checked out the nano kits that are available for them? Its an added cost, but it makes them a bit shorter.

EDIT: Here is the cheapest I can find, other than Fasttech http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kayfun-all-...nano-kit-/321344731446?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

There's actually a nano glass SOV conversion kit on the classifieds right now, but the other one comes included and won't split the lot...

...yet...

hexagondun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2012
Albany, NY USA
Svoemesto was making a Kayfun Mini at one point that would likely fit your VTR more naturally. Might be something for you to check out!

Kayfun mini would be wonderful-- good call. I guess I'm in the market for one of THOSE now :) Better start lurking our classifieds like a maniac once again...

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Kayfun mini would be wonderful-- good call. I guess I'm in the market for one of THOSE now :) Better start lurking our classifieds like a maniac once again...
Take a look at some pictures of the Kayfun Mini before you search too much. It seems like its as tall or taller and just narrower, like the same diameter as an Ego. I'd think that would look even worse.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Would be simpler, cheaper and more fun to Grab a Nemesis clone, a couple of 18350 or 18500 batteries a kick clone and wrap a few 1.4 ohm coils.
You could even wait on the Kick.

DSCN0381.jpg

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
Or.. cut that tank ring off..

37, ph0n3 h0m3.

That is exactly what I did with my VTR, I cut the tank ring off. It has a Kayfun Lite sitting down on the rotating 510 connector now and works and looks great. You only have to cut the ring off and remove a little metal from the top cap of the VTR(the part that protrudes out farther than the main body). I used a 1 inch sanding drum that I got from Harbor Freight in my drill press. I used a #6 torx bit to remove the top cap of the VTR and held the top cap against the rotating sanding drum. It took about 30 minutes to do the entire job. I removed the top cap so I would not get any metal filling or such inside the mod while doing this work.

hexagondun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2012
Albany, NY USA
Would be simpler, cheaper and more fun to Grab a Nemesis clone, a couple of 18350 or 18500 batteries a kick clone and wrap a few 1.4 ohm coils.
You could even wait on the Kick.

View attachment 321295

Well, for regulation I can't wait on the kick-- that's the only reason I'm using a VTR; when I get my mech clone and a kick I'll probably be doing just this...

hexagondun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2012
Albany, NY USA
That is exactly what I did with my VTR, I cut the tank ring off. It has a Kayfun Lite sitting down on the rotating 510 connector now and works and looks great. You only have to cut the ring off and remove a little metal from the top cap of the VTR(the part that protrudes out farther than the main body). I used a 1 inch sanding drum that I got from Harbor Freight in my drill press. I used a #6 torx bit to remove the top cap of the VTR and held the top cap against the rotating sanding drum. It took about 30 minutes to do the entire job. I removed the top cap so I would not get any metal filling or such inside the mod while doing this work.

Well this is certainly interesting, but I don't trust myself. I saved your description of the process to show a handy friend tomorrow. Thanks for the idea! Custom VTR time.

Danolink

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2014
Lincoln NE.

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
Thought about a Taifun GS? Once I can afford both at once, this is what I'm planning on getting.

Of course, if you just don't dig the Taifun, I guess mine is a moot point. I personally find the Taifuns much easier to set up than Kayfuns/Russians. But I've only ever dealt with the clones of each, so take that for what it's worth. ;)

(not my photo, btw, I just googled this)
p1550325.jpg

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
Thought about a Taifun GS? Once I can afford both at once, this is what I'm planning on getting.

Of course, if you just don't dig the Taifun, I guess mine is a moot point. I personally find the Taifuns much easier to set up than Kayfuns/Russians. But I've only ever dealt with the clones of each, so take that for what it's worth. ;)

(not my photo, btw, I just googled this)
p1550325.jpg

That's a nice look!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread