The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Killed my batteries.

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by mn shutterbug, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mn shutterbug

mn shutterbug Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    I was under the assumption that the best way to preserve batteries was to keep them in a freezer. A couple years ago I ordered a spare set of 3.7v AA Lion batteries and put them in the freezer for safe keeping. I took them out last night and they are both deader than a door nail and will not charge. Was my assumption incorrect?

2. Traver

Traver Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 28, 2010
    WV
    Your assumption was wrong. Lithium batteries should not be frozen. If I remember right manufacturers warn against even being at less than -20 degrees.

3. RuDawg7890

RuDawg7890 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Lithium batteries do not fair well at any extreme temperature. They should be kept at 40-80F IIRC.
    I have several lithium batteries for power tools. I store them at room temperate. With moderately heavy use, they have lasted over 7 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mn shutterbug

mn shutterbug Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    Thanks. I won't be making that mistake again.

5. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    This is an interesting one. I'm an amateur photographer with several digital cameras that take li-ion batteries and I get those batteries cold enough at times (but not often) that they stop running my cameras until I warm them up again. Don't know just how cold that is, just that the camera stops working due to low battery. I have been told by people who know photography that I should not worry about getting the batteries cold, they could take it.

Now, I've never stored li-ion batteries in a freezer. I just accept they will only last about five years max no matter what I do with them. I did however Google 'minimum temperatures for lithium ion battery' and found the following. Look at table #3. One year of storage at zero degrees C is looking pretty good to me and I doubt going a few degrees under that is going to cause them to give up the ghost really quick, but I have been wrong before:
    Table 3: Estimated recoverable capacity when storing Li-ion for one year at various temperatures

I seem to remember reading that li-ion cells 'freeze' at about -40C, but I can't find that data anywhere right now.

So, I'm not saying anyone should freeze their batteries. Just that I suspect there may be more to this than what has been talked about in this thread so far.

Vape on :thumb:

6. Switched

Switched ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    I believe the batts lost their charge because of time, not because of cold specifically. TBS the combination of the two could very well have accelerated their demise.

7. Kemosabe

Kemosabe Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    when storing lithium batteries for months at a time, its best to keep them at 40% life (3.6v).
    this info was learned from Battery University.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.