Nitecore Intellicharger i4 killed all my batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fesso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
NOt sure what's going on here, hopefully someone can help.
I bought an Intellicharger i4 and it worked just fine for a few days then this happened. I was charging 3 18350 batteries 2 older Efest button top and one brand new AW that I bought with the charger. I checked in on the progress of the charge and all the bays had The LED indicators at 2 bars full and flashing. I came back a little while later and all the LED indicators were dark. I took the batteries out and put them back in and the LEDS remained dark. Those batteries don't work in my MOD now. I have 3 more EFest batteries I have been using since then and in the last 2 days the same thing has happened to all 3. They start to charge, LEDS are flashing and then the LEDs go dark and won't light up anymore and the batteries don't work.
I tried all these batteries in a friends Trustfire charger and they are all showing that they are charged. (Green)
Is the Intellicharger overcharging my batteries to the point of killing them?
I only have Mech MODS so I can't check the voltage.
Any ideas of what's going on here?

lvm111

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wylie, Texas
So, you had 4 batteries possibly get ruined, and then you put 3 more in to get damaged? Ya got any more to try? lol.

Do you only have the one mech mod? I'd get a cheap APV, like a Vamo from Fasttech. Depending on model, less than $30, up to $32, with free shipping. Or this pretty cool deal ($26 with free shipping):

$26.30 Vamo 5S Variable Volt/Watt Control Head for Mechanical Mods - OLED screen / stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

You also need one of these, $9 are you kidding me? I have it, and it works great IMO. Paid more for it though.

INNOVA 3300 Hands-free Digital Multimeter (10 MegOhm) : Amazon.com : Automotive

My Nitecore Intellicharger i2 that came with my Fasttech Vamo V3 works fine. I've only heard good things about it. Always heard to stay away from the trustfire chargers and batteries. Or any "fire" products. Lately I've been using my new charger, the Efest LUC. I like having the digital display that shows battery voltage. Also comes with car cord, and USB slot. It's currently on sale here for $25. Very good deal:

Efest LUC 2 Bay LCD Smart Charger - E Cig eGo, E juice, Mods, Cartomizers, Liquid Nicotine, DIY Flavorings

As for shipping delays you've heard about Fasttech, while they may be true, or exaggerated, I don't know. But I just recently ordered an innokin SVD for $32 and free shipping, and only took 10 days to get from China to Dallas. No batteries or juice in order.

So that's four inexpensive ideas you could use to check your batteries voltage!

best regards, larry mac

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Get yourself a DMM like lvm111 said. I use mech mods 98% of the time. I use my DMM to check battery voltage to make sure I don't use them too long (that will shorten their life), I check batt voltage off the charger to be sure they are not overcharged and I use it to check coil resistance and for shorts.

Yes, it could be your charger. If it is overcharging, your batts could be dangerous to use depending on how high the voltage is.

Vape safe :thumb:

Fesso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So, you had 4 batteries possibly get ruined, and then you put 3 more in to get damaged?
Yep, that's exactly what I did. i didn't understand (and still don't) why the charging indicator LEDs went black so I slapped in more batteries and they seem to charge as normal so I just carried on.... The batteries that were charging when the LEDs went black I just assumed that they had reached the end of their cycles or something, that didn't explain the brand new AW that was among them though... and now 3 more batteries a month later... I posted here to see if anyone has had a similar experience or if someone can explain what might have happened.

Get yourself a DMM like lvm111 said. I use mech mods 98% of the time. I use my DMM to check battery voltage to make sure I don't use them too long (that will shorten their life), I check batt voltage off the charger to be sure they are not overcharged and I use it to check coil resistance and for shorts.

Yes, it could be your charger. If it is overcharging, your batts could be dangerous to use depending on how high the voltage is.

Vape safe :thumb:

I will be buying a multi meter tomorrow, ( wish I didn't trade my Provari away now ) If I test the batteries and they show over 4.2V that means the charger is overcharging right? Shouldn't they still work in a Mech Mod though? (not that it's safe to do so) I will also be buying new batteries.... and a charger.... DAMMIT!

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I would keep the suspect bad batts in metal container till you get your DMM and identify possible issue.

I have excellent success w/ trustfire TR-001. Two independent channels that charge to 4.23v at 500ma rate. Based on my experience I'm not convinced they are bad chargers.

I've read that some nitecore I4 chargers don't have 4 independent channels.

Any brand from Toyota to Nokia has some bad apples slip through. Sometimes you draw the short straw.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I will be buying a multi meter tomorrow, ( wish I didn't trade my Provari away now ) If I test the batteries and they show over 4.2V that means the charger is overcharging right? Shouldn't they still work in a Mech Mod though? (not that it's safe to do so) I will also be buying new batteries.... and a charger.... DAMMIT!

Full charge is stated as 4.2 +-0.05 volts., so between 4.15 and 4.25V. Typically chargers will stop at very close to 4.2 volts. The higher they go, the less life you'll see form the batteries.

If I remember correctly, anything above 4.3V is dangerous and should not be vaped.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I would keep the suspect bad batts in metal container till you get your DMM and identify possible issue.

I have excellent success w/ trustfire TR-001. Two independent channels that charge to 4.23v at 500ma rate. Based on my experience I'm not convinced they are bad chargers.

Any brand from Toyota to Nokia has some bad apples slip through. Sometimes you draw the short straw.

I've seen more than a few people have issues with the Trustfire TR-001. Here's a review for it. If you want to skip the boring part, scroll to the end and read the conclusion.

It's very slow, it charges to over 4.2V and it doesn't shut off when it's done. The last two items will degrade your battery over time.

I would pick from the Xtar line, but there are a bunch of others that are also great. That review site is a great resource for data on a lot of them.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas

Make sure that metal box is lined with something though, like the soft foam from computer parts. We wouldn't want them to complete a connection and really cause a problem.

I bought 2 different Trustfire TR001s from 2 different places before the other models were easily found. Both burned out a channel within 30 days of receiving them. I won't buy another one.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I've seen more than a few people have issues with the Trustfire TR-001. Here's a review for it. If you want to skip the boring part, scroll to the end and read the conclusion.

It's very slow, it charges to over 4.2V and it doesn't shut off when it's done. The last two items will degrade your battery over time.

I would pick from the Xtar line, but there are a bunch of others that are also great. That review site is a great resource for data on a lot of them.

Thanks. I've seen that review and am happy w/ results. 4.23v. True dual channel. 500ma charge rate. $7.87 delivered. Mine works like new after about 2 years of constant use. My 2011 18350's still work (at reduced capacity of course). If I find they are commonly causing a safety issue I will consider xtar. I charge in metal tool box so my concern is near zero right now.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Make sure that metal box is lined with something though, like the soft foam from computer parts. We wouldn't want them to complete a connection and really cause a problem.

I bought 2 different Trustfire TR001s from 2 different places before the other models were easily found. Both burned out a channel within 30 days of receiving them. I won't buy another one.

I'm careful to avoid short.

Good info. Do you remember any more details? Is it possible batt was defective? I suppose you trust vendors didn't sell counterfeit? Do you remember what batts you used at the time?

I have another TR-001 in the mail and am anxious to test it. My 2011 TR-001 has been solid as a rock.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
I'm careful to avoid short.

Good info. Do you remember any more details? Is it possible batt was defective? I suppose you trust vendors didn't sell counterfeit? Do you remember what batts you used at the time?

I have another TR-001 in the mail and am anxious to test it. My 2011 TR-001 has been solid as a rock.

Both were bought from ECF recommended vendors. Iirc Madvapes sold the first one, and I'd have to dig through my receipts to find the second.

With the first one I was using AWs and Pannys with the second. Both sets of batteries continued to work and charge, and all of them metered out fine. In fact, I'm switching the Pannys out right now in a Lambo and charging them on a Nightcore i4 V2 with no problems. There was no fanfare at all, both times I just went to charge a battery and the charging light would remain dark with no trickle to the battery.

lvm111

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Oh thanks a lot. Because of this thread, I did some more research, and just had to order this. Some sell it for $50. It has a "restoration/resurrection" program for over-discharged batteries. Not that I would ever do that. But still, it's pretty cool. You can set what speed/amps to charge at. And it has that all important digital display!

XTAR VP1 Intelligent Li-Ion Battery Charger

best regards, larry mac

Last edited:

lvm111

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Oh thanks a lot. Because of this thread, I did some more research, and just had to order this. Some sell it for $50. It has a "restoration/resurrection" program for over-discharged batteries. Not that I would ever do that. But still, it's pretty cool. You can set what speed/amps to charge at. And it has that all important digital display!

XTAR VP1 Intelligent Li-Ion Battery Charger

best regards, larry mac

Woops! It's $10 more now. I must have lucked out, and caught it on sale for less.

best regards, larry mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread