Knoledge on ohm and connected power source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to make a VW/VV usb passthru via a 5v 6A(6000mah) usb hub. I'm trying to go about this in the safest way possible. I want to be able to vape sub ohm and have no worry about what ohm I'm vaping at. I have knowledge of switches, wire types, ground so on.. but my question is rather, is it as easy as just switch and 510 connector with a VV/VW board? Does any one have a thread or a list of things I need to get? cheaper the better! oh no battery is needed. ill post my creation when its completed.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um, I'm not quite clear on what you want to do, and I'm not quite sure you are either based on your post, it's a bit incoherent (to me) but are you saying you want to make a mod from a USB passthrough hub? One that would be vaped only as passthrough?

I am really not sure you want to do that. With that said, I'm not a mechanical type person, so hopefully someone who understands this stuff better will be along to help, but if I am understanding what you are saying correctly, I'm not entirely certain it would be a good idea, in fact it might be rather a bad idea... IDK.

Good luck?

Anna

Reactions: Walee

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I want to make a VW/VV usb passthru via a 5v 6A(6000mah) usb hub. I'm trying to go about this in the safest way possible. I want to be able to vape sub ohm and have no worry about what ohm I'm vaping at. I have knowledge of switches, wire types, ground so on.. but my question is rather, is it as easy as just switch and 510 connector with a VV/VW board? Does any one have a thread or a list of things I need to get? cheaper the better! oh no battery is needed. ill post my creation when its completed.
Hi and welcome.

mAh and amps are NOT the same thing.

6 Amps will not be enough to allow you to " have no worry about what ohm I'm vaping at."

What are you using now? Mod/tank/topper?
What is your experience building "projects"?

Me thinks the water might be a bit too deep here...Perhaps start in the shallow end?

Cheers
I

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
USB sockets are usually limited to 2.1 amps, so if you have a 5V, 6A hub, it likely has 3-4 sockets, none of which will give you 6A. 2.1 amps @ 5V gets you 10W, sub-ohming at, say, 0.5 ohms will be about 2 W, so you're not going to be getting the first wisp of vapor. Better to get a nice little mod with a few batteries that you can keep charged.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
It's the old "I want to make a battery tool take power from a cable" idea. It's usually a bad one. USB doesn't have enough power for what you want, as was already pointed out, and if your USB hub isn't designed with tinkerers in mind it will let the smoke out as soon as your VV/VW board tries to draw some serious current.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
"Pass through" vaping allows you to vape using the power from the battery in the mod as you are charging the battery in the mod. The power coming from the charger is not powering the vape. The battery is. If you are looking to eliminate the battery you will need a rather substantial DC power supply. Here's a nice little one for a mere $895.00 http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/p...H7qeF0WyEtKvH4jxZ_29TJerpSMe8l5BoCgmYQAvD_BwE

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I build mods and use lipo batteries instead of round cells and I use a connector (the same one I use for my lipos to connect the pack to the mod) to connect my power station to my mod and use at a “battery” but it’s plugged into the wall the power station is limited to 12V and runs a set of 14g wires to my mod using the connector mentioned above but your asking for something similar and to use no battery.

With the way you worded things I think you may want to crawl before your running. You need to worry about what resistance (ohm) your vaping at cause your using a battery (5V 6A 600mAh) as a power source. If your resistance is too low for that power source tour going to fry something and it possibly could be yourself. I think you may want to do some research on the ol’ interweb before you take on this task and/or talk to an electrician and mention what your wanting to do and see what they have to say. I would still do research yourself on the google machine so your putting knowledge into your head about this.

Now I don’t mean to come off as a dick and if I have, please accept my apologies but I think your wanting to take on a task such as this without the knowledge about the devices your working with and what your wanting to complete. I was that way when I first got into building mods and it made me upset I couldn’t get any help (cause simply nobody on here knew what I was wanting to do) so I researched the crap out of it and now I’m building and selling mods and loving it.

Let us know what you come up with when completed. I’d be interested in hearing and seeing what you managed to build. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
You could make a power supply from a computer PSU. They have a 12v, 5v and 3.3v rails. Most are capable of 20-25 Amps on the 5v rail. I use a passthrough made from an ATX PSU. I use the 5v rail. I've been using one for well over a year. I don't sub ohm but it works fine with a 1 ohm coil.

This site has a lot of info
Turn a Computer Power Supply into Bench Power | Make:

Then you would need to make a passthrough device with a 510 connector. I also use a mosfet so I don't have to worry about the amp carrying capacity of the switch.

This diagram shows how to wire a mosfet. You would just eliminate the battery.

Mosfet_Dual_Parallel.jpg

I posted a picture of the case and passthrough device in my album here. It is actually the first one I built with an old AT PSU. I recently built a smaller version with an ATX PSU.

Here is the old one.

DSCF0117_2.png

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
I didn't know those existed.

It's, basically, the same idea, a computer PSU and some connectors. The passthrough looks like it has VV, which is nice. It wouldn't be too difficult to add that to mine. You can buy buck converters on ebay for a few dollars. I don't think it's really necessary though.

The thing is, the one I built probably cost less than $25. Hard to figure exactly because some of the stuff I used was bought years ago or bought in quantities recently.

I have power supplies left over from my days of building computers. 510 connectors from Fasttech and mosfets from ebay that were cheap. The wire and other connectors cost very little.

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
I didn't know those existed.
No no no. You didn't buy one of those because you know what you're doing. I totally get and respect that. To the OP, I was merely suggesting an alternative that might save him some time and frustration. Your rig is awesome, and you built it yourself. This setup is for folks like me who don't know how to do that.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Well, I really didn't know anyone was selling a device like that. Like I said, I built my first one about 2 years ago.

If I had known, I probably wouldn't have bought one because I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money.

I do like it though, very clean and professional looking while mine looks homemade.

I really didn't "know how to do it" until I stumbled on the website that I linked to. I knew how to build a mosfet mod because I learned from this site. I do have some knowledge of electricity but not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread