• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Korean Rubbing Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the rubbing alcohol sold in pharms here (ethanol 76-81%) was ethanol and water only? Basically, if purely ethanol and DI water, the cheap, cheap rubbing alcohol here could be used to clean rda, etc. instead of the pricey vodka method I've seen touted on the boards here.

Thanks!

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
I know this doesn't answer your question. But by using vodka you can clean, add it to high VG juice (improves throat hit), and make funky drinks to compliment your flavours. I can get a litre of Russian Vodka at Home Plus for about 15,000 won.

A 500 ml bottle of isopropyl/rubbing alcohol will probably cost you 3000-4000 won and you can't drink it :)

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
The rubbing alcohol in the pharm's ethanol (or at least in the ones I frequent), or the same as what's in a bottle of vodka It's around 80% which would be fantastic since 500 mL's only a buck (I buy them on the regular for general purpose use). The only thing I'm unsure about's the other 20%. The only thing listed as an ingredient's ethanol. In a perfect world, it'd just be ethanol and distilled water, but I guess I'll do vodka, just in case. A pity since vodka ranks low on my drinks of choice

Nwasiq- It's for cleaning tanks and whatnot. I'm new too (actually, I'm still waiting on my tanks to come in the mail!)

Thanks all for the re:s!

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
I bit the bullet and bought a fifth of bottom-shelf vodka (7,800 W too!) Funny thing's I haven't ended up using it yet. I've been cleaning the clearo head with hot water rinses and soaks. After a few soggy hits, it seems to work fine with the flavor changes. Suppose I should worry about the "minerals" in the tap though...hm. Until I get my Lemo/Veritas from FT (and who knows when that'll be), it looks like I'm stuck with a handful of coils so longevity's the game (ie use as few coils as possible). Plus, it's kinda fun figuring out how much regular cleanings (I've switched flavors on this coil head like 3 times so far. It's been 3 days.) vs non-regular cleanings (one flavor solid. No cleanings) affects longevity.

Last edited:

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
I am sure a lot has changed in Korea since my three visits First in '79, then in '82, both times with the 2nd Engineers, then for the Olympics in '88 as a civilian. Not sure if it was a custom but, was told to pour off the first inch of the Soju to get rid of some/most of the formaldehyde.

I will say, from my experiences, the Koreans are one of the greatest hosts of any place I ever visited but they just did not know how to brew a decent beer.

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
alljokingaside, I see you are in Busan. Have you visited Cheju Do. I was a repelling instructor there for six months. Got to do some of the best pheasant hunting in the world!

I use to hop a train and travel the length of the country whenever I could get away for a few days. Hopefully, I will revisit Korea in 2018 for the winter Olympics. Doing the research now for my visit. Hopefully I will bring enough vape supplies to last for the month's visit. I have to wonder if my Reo Grand will be the first in country?

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
Went there in 2011. Nice place, good memories. Jeju (as well as a lot of the country) has probably been "touched up" or "manicured" since then. No real wildlife to speak of anymore, too...at least, none that I've seen aside from a few birds. Still a nice enough place

If you come back to visit, it might seem like a different country, from what I've been told. Even during the year away (2013-2014), there were a good number of changes. Can't imagine how much it's changed since the late 80s. Good luck though on yr trip (waaayyy in advance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread