Labubs Looks Over: The Tripod RTA (ULTON) - An Excellent Clone of Possibly the Best RTA Ever Created

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labubs

Jan 26, 2015
Northeast PA
Introduction and Overview
What's up everyone, my review series continues today with a look at ULTON's version of the Atmizoo Tripod. I'm gonna get this out of the way first, this may just be the best rta I've ever had the pleasure of vaping on. I've used it for about two weeks now, and feel I have it's ins and outs pretty well. Yes, this is a clone, and all credit to Atmizoo for such an incredible design, they really knocked it out of the park here. ULTON once again delivers with an incredible clone for those who like to try before dropping a whole lotta cash on an atomizer, the quality of this clone is once again insanely good. Between the GTR I last reviewed and this, I'm convinced, when it comes to clones, I'll always be looking for the ULTON version first.
The rta itself is very unique, with 95% press-fitted parts, the only threading here is in the propietary drip tip (able to be swapped out for standard 510 drip tips), the chamber reducer, and the 510 pin itself. It has a very easy to build deck, and does true MTL (using four inserts) all the way up to Direct Lung, and the flavor and draw are both absolutely incredible. Let's get into details!
Product Page- ULTON Tripod Style 316SS 22mm RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer 2ml (1:1) - Silver
(Disclaimers at bottom)
------------
Album Link, though I'll be linking relevant images throughout the review.
------------
Manufacturer's Specifications
(via Atmizoo)
  • Air flow tuning via 4 pin options with air hole D=1.0mm/1.2mm/ 1.5mm/1.8mm pinned inside a D=4.0mm nest or via an AFCS Ring adjusting from zero to D=4.0mm.
  • M2.5mm pan head phillips post screws.
  • Two parts screw-in custom Drip Tip / inner D=4.0mm, can also host any 510 drip tip.
  • 10.0mm post-to-post space, ~6.6mm post-to-post net space , ~5.8mm coil space.
  • Tank capacity 2ml.
  • Max. net coiling height ~9.0mm (C & C Reducer out) / ~5.3mm (C & C Reducer in)
  • Chimney top inner D ~5.2mm (C & C Reducer out) / ~3.0mm (C & C Reducer in)
  • Height 510 excl., 39mm [Drip Tip off] / 47.0mm [Drip Tip on]
  • Weight ~56g
  • SS316 foodgrade metal parts, PEEK Thermoplastic Insulators, POM (Acetal) Drip Tip, Steel nickel plated Post Screws, Borosilicate Glass Tank
  • 1:1 ULTON Clone with Logo
First Impressions and Build Quality
Again, this item came exceptionally clean for a clone, no smell of machine oil or any nicks/scratches. (Still, as always, with any atomizer, wash with soap and water before use) The metal has a high quality feel to it, and looks great. Lots of extras included, though no extra glass. Going into this atomizer 'blind' may be a bit confusing at first, as everything is press-fitted, and if you were expecting threading, you may end up wondering how to remove the tank from the deck. There are arrows in the juice flow ports and on the top cap, and after lining these up you simply pull. I would recommend probably watching a video or two on YouTube and looking through the .pdf of the manual while you wait for it to arrive to get an idea of how everything fits together. The deck is absolutely fantastic, super simple with A LOT of room to build on for a 22mm RTA. A really interesting feature is the Chamber Reducer (Removed from atty) . This creates less space for vapor to mix with air inside the chimney and focuses the flavor extremely nicely. The deck's air hole is 4mm wide, though you can tighten that up to 1.0mm, 1.2mm, 1.5mm, or 1.8mm using pop-in deck inserts. These inserts really give a wide array of draw options, from extremely tight MTL to DL with no insert/chamber reducer. Flavor is absolutely phenomenal, and I have to say, I've found myself reaching for this more than my Skyline/Skydrop, which is really saying something to anyone who knows me. The Skyline has been my favorite RTA of all time pretty much since I got it, but I find that really performs better with fruits (and the GTR is better with desserts/bakeries/sweet tobaccos), whereas the Tripod is really a jack-of-all-trades, all my flavors from straight-up fruit recipes (such as Prickly Victory, which is a strong Guava recipe) all the way to my darkest RY4s/Custards tasted incredible in the Tripod.
Functionality and Performance
Once again, this is a 1:1 clone of a very high quality, highly rated RTA. The performance is incredible. I found myself using simple SS316 claptons in it with no deck insert, proprietary drip tip, the chamber reducer in, with about halfway open airflow, and flavor was just incredible. I use the same few recipes/flavors when using new atomizers to get a gauge on flavor production, and the Tripod picks up all notes nicely, giving some recipes more depth and complexity than even most RDAs. Flavor is definitely on par with my 'baseline' excellent flavor drippers (Hadaly, Hadeon, KRMA) and better than my Kayfuns. With the drip tip and chamber reducer really focusing the vapor, the draw is very, very smooth and enjoyable. No Insert+Chamber Reducer+Propietary Drip Tip at about 3/4 airflow open gave me a perfect Restricted Lung Hit, which is my preference, but removing the Chamber Reducer and using a wider bore drip tip allowed for Direct Lung, while keeping the included drip tip and chamber reducer in and popping in a Deck Insert allowed for a very nice MTL (I preferred to use the 1.5mm or 1.8mm insert while going MTL, but for those of you who like a REALLY tight draw, the 1.0mm or 1.2mm inserts will provide it).
As I touched on abouve, an interesting aspect of this RTA is definitely the largely threadless design. The only threading is on the proprietary drip tip, the chamber reducer, and the 510 pin itself. To reach the build deck, you simply line up the arrows on the chimney and deck and pull up (Fully assembled, with standard 510 drip tip). Filling is similar, you line up the arrow with a dot and pull, the tank does utilize top fill. The deck itself is an absolute pleasure to build on, able to easily capture wires from standard round for MTL up to beefier claptons. (Shot of a simple single core clapton I was vaping on when I went to take photos for the review) I tried up to tri-core 26g fused with no issues, it could probably even go to quads if you wanted. However, that brings me to the one small issue I have with the tank, which is capacity. At 2ml, using even single core claptons will go through juice fairly quickly. MTL builds fare a bit better in this department. There is a 3.4ml extension kit available, which I do plan on utilizing in the future, as the flavor and overall vape experience off this tank is just too good to let something like capacity get in the way. Even if the extension kit didn't exist, this tank would still be used regularly, it's just that good.
In Conclusion
Once again, ULTON has provided an excellent clone of an excellent tank. All credit to Atmizoo/Atmizone for the incredible design, but to be able to experience this quality of vape for ~$20 is incredible. The versatility is really something else, between the deck inserts, the chamber reducer, and drip tip, this is the only tank I've ever used that's tried to tackle all styles of vaping and actually excel in all areas. In my opinion, this is one of the best RTAs ever designed, and everything about the overall experience using it (in all modes) is absolutely perfect. The only thing even approaching a drawback is the capacity, and that can be remedied with extension kits. It would have been nice to get a spare glass in the package with the clone, though spares are readily available. Overall, for $20, you can't get a much better RTA experience than this
Pros
  • Excellent flavor
  • Build quality is fantastic
  • True MTL to DTL, excelling at both and everything in between
  • Innovative design choices (by Atmizoo)
  • Very smooth and pleasurable draw
  • Did I mention flavor?!
Neutral
  • As with all logoed clones, it's up to you whether that's an issue or not
  • 22mm size
Cons
  • 2ml is a bit light with Restricted or Direct Lung Builds
Overall: 9.5/10
I am not exaggerating when I say this RTA is a contender for greatest RTA ever made so far. Everything from the flavor, to the build deck, to the 'jack-of-all-trades' nature of it are absolutely amazing. I would LOVE to see a 24mm version of this with higher capacity released one day, that would be a day 1 authentic buy for me. The only drawbacks (and the reason for half a point off) are the lack of a spare glass and the 2ml capacity, and there are solutions to that available. ULTON once again provides an impeccable clone, and this RTA is easily in my daily rotation from here on out.
(Disclaimer: This product was sent to me by 2Fdeal for the purposes of this review, though that has zero influence on the review itself. This is the version I was sent. I spend at least a week, usually two using all products for review to really get a feel for how they perform.)
Previous Reviews
The Famovape Magma
The 'Typhoon' GTR by ULTON
Satburn Mech Mod by ULTON (In Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread