Last place you were asked to stop vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dopefish

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
The last time I was asked to stop vaping was actually pretty ridiculous, I was up in the city and having lunch at a restaurant with my dad. I went outside and stayed away from the ventilation but the restaurant manager at the time came outside and tried to take my ego pen (this was a couple years ago) and told me that I was making all the customers inside uncomfortable (bulls***) and that I had to walk several blocks away...lolwut?! First of all, this is before Portland, OR essentially classified vaporizers as cigarettes, second I was already outside and third I was at least 15 feet away from any ventilation which is the distance posted for actually smoking. Some people, am I right?

Needless to say, we found another place to eat lunch after telling that idiot to **** off

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
How lame is this: quoting myself. I'm doing so as I am unable to edit the above older post.

My addition is this (and I hope to broach the subject without forum rule infraction or incurring the wrath of the censors [or worse] but have noticed a recent cultural phenomenon).

I live in Oregon (for those who may not have noticed) where regulations have recently changed regarding substances (other than e-liquids) are now legal to vape, smoke or otherwise partake. Where few took notice of my vaping a month or a year ago, I have drawn sidelong glances to outright disbelieving stares as a percentage of the public seems to think, with the weeks-old legalization, I am partaking of something other than nicotine. While I am not opposed to those doing so (nor anything else which is legal), as it is against Oregon law to publicly imbibe, It would seem the looks of disapproval are due to the appearance that I am violating that latter statute.

I am curious if others have had this (new-ish cultural) experience and that curiosity is the reason for this post. Having conducted myself at ECF for nearly six years without so much as a cursory tap on the shoulder from any moderator with regard to any post or conduct, I sincerely hope that we, as adults, can have this conversation without using any terms or making references which could be construed as a violation of rules regarding topic or terms.
I know exactly what you mean. Of course, I live in Colorado. I frequently get asked what I am vaping.

Daddyyatessr

Sep 5, 2015
New Hampshire
I still haven't had anyone tell me I couldn't vape. The closest I came was a co-worker complained about the vaping. I had just converted over a half dozen smokers to vaping and our offices were filled with vapors. I was standing in the hall when she was complaining to the supervisor (who had just switched to vaping.) She started telling him that it was an 'overpowering' smell. I stood literally 5 feet behind her and blew clouds, CLOUDS I tell you, the whole time she complained. Then he asked her, do you smell it now? She said no. So, he said to turn around....the hallway was almost filled with vapor. He said, do you smell it now? She got red faced and stomped out of the office. She hasn't said another word. :)
BOSS MOVE RIGHT THERE!!!

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
fire.jpg

:evil:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I mostly just vape at home or on a long car trip. Otherwise, I am not using my vape gear 24/7 anyway.

I don't really do anything 24/7, come to think of it, except breath and I know my heart is beating.

I guess I don't want to be a slave to any habit. Because I already DID that with cigarettes.

When I look back at how "dependent" I was on having those cigs, close to me at all times.........I dunno. I just don't want to repeat the addict behavior (whether addictive or not, the behavior in and of itself had developed into that).

Dunno if this will make sense to anyone.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Last time I was asked to stop vaping, 2 weeks ago at a food pantry for this church that I volunteered to help work.

Everyone went on smoke break, so I followed. Pulled out my vape and had like 3 toots when this big burly dude stood up and starts pointing at the door with a seriously ticked off face, "take that completely away from this building, I'm not trying to end up on the news"

"Uh what? What's wrong"

"I don't want to have to try to put fires out and call 911 because someone thinks they are cool"

At that point, I walked away, and have not volunteered to work that pantry again.

I wasn't blowing clouds, and I was being as mindfully as the rest of the smokers outside...

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Zapped, you MIGHT want to learn a lil bit about how combustion of gasoline works, before you lecture others

I have personally put lit cigarettes out in gasoline. Combustion requires a certain combination of circumstances. A PV of any kind, in the open air, is about as unlikely to cause a fire as the pistol on my hip at the time

As for someone freaking out and causing an accident: seriously? Someone that unhinged would be just as likely to freak over the 2 bikers

BBM

Then you were lucky. All it takes is the wind to gust at just the right moment, or the cigarette to hit the side of the bucket, causing a spark and BOOM!.....one less "intellectual titan" in the world.

I have nothing else to say to you......... ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nboprc

severina

Oct 14, 2015
At the Chateau Nightclub in Vegas, an open air club where they ALLOW cigarettes and cigars (and people chain smoking them everywhere). I was asked to put my vape away, and that "vapes were not allowed". I was ready to scream to management right then and there. I am probably going to put in a phone call to their management soon to find out what that was all about. I could understand if the club didn't allow smoking, but seriously, just no vaping? Sigh.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I just called them, and yes, they allow cigarettes but not vaper products.
The guy said it had to do with problems with people using Mary Jane in their vaporizers.

And he also said it's a city-wide initiative.
That's all I have for now.

I told him that based on this information I will not be frequenting their nightclub as I had planned.
He didn't seem to care.

But if I did go there, I would stealth vape all night long.
And no one would ever know.

Now if there was Mary Jane in my vaporizer, you'd smell it from a mile away.
The world is falling apart as we speak.

severina

Oct 14, 2015
And he also said it's a city-wide initiative.

Interesting. I wonder if it's a city-wide initiative for certain nightclubs. None of the bars or clubs I visited (on Fremont) had ANY problem with vapers. I was also at the Planet Hollywood on the strip and was never asked to stop vaping. There were plenty of other vapers around. Only encountered that issue at Chateau. Hoping it doesn't become a problem all around Vegas because that would surely suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread