Leak resistant tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
One ongoing care are leaking tanks. Seems that for the longest 1 year people are complaining about ejuice seeping in every single tank. But some tanks are more leak resistant than others, and it would be very useful to have a list for further reference.

Mine are:
Coil Art Mage 2
OBS Engine (both mini and big versions)
Serpent SMM (here we have different takes, some people find them extremely leaky, some don't)
Geekvape Zeus
Juggerknot

In bottom airflow tanks helps that air intake are higher or at coil level. In top airflow, per se, is leak resistant (flooding is less terrible).

Any more that you know?

Reactions: stols001

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I have the Zeus dual (top air, no leaks) a Blitzen, and a VV revolver, bottom air, never had either leak and I’m no expert at cooling/wicking.

I also have uwell Fanciers, and I get a leak maybe every 3-4 times I re-wick. These are also more sensitive to a temperature change, tipping and so on.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Believe it or not, my Smok TFV8-X's are very leak resistant. Even the "styled" versions are great, as long as you use the authentic coils or rba.

I currently have 1 authentic X and 3 clones. Wife does also. I use the rba in mine, wife uses coils, no leaks for either of us.

I finally got the wife to use an rta so I gave her an OBS Nano and she is loving it!

Now, if I can keep my Zeus Rta's out of her line of sight......

Last month we ditched every tank that was not the TFV8-X, Zeus Rta and OBS Nano due to leaking.

There are a few already mentioned in this thread that are on my wish list. Getting there, but getting there without leaks!
645cd74c1dd5f5fcdae984544ad88d71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My doggies have never leaked. Like, ever. LOL I actually find the Ares and the Siren V2 to be fairly leakproof in that order.

There is that-- factor though. I'm sure some of my early RTAs that I thought were leaking machines probably wouldn't be if I recoiled and rewicked them. I think a lot of them were "leaky" due to my inexperience.

I've also sometimes heard that JFC tanks don't leak so much, but I am also not a fan of JFC and etc. So, everything is a tradeoff.

I really think it just becomes being accustomed to tanks you like and then learning how to wick them better and better. I mean, I have sworn in the past to NEVER bring an RTA out of the house, and many of them now surf around in my purse oriented in many directions with the airflow open. Never any leaking. And, I can usually tell if I may "spring a leak" with my new wick without even filling it up.

The only exception for me has been a Siren on a few occasions having trouble forming a seal with an O-ring that's gotten stretched or otherwise problematic. The sirens (and one in particular but it's the one I use most often) is leaky, but I think it has more to do with tank/O-ring tolerances than anything else.

I really can't say there is one "super not leaky under any and all circumstances" type of RTA. I tend to find velocity style decks slightly easier to COIL, but I have a fine motor tremor. So, I'd say go for what you WANT (and start with a single coil, would be my advice) out of an RTA and unless every review says it is fiendishly complex, go for size, type (DL vs MTL) and variables that have probably been reported on to, such as flavor, airiness and etc.

If you are really worried about leaks, I'd consider starting with an RBA (although that will then involve either squonking or dripping) to hone your wicking skills, although I'm in some ways glad I started with TANKS, I mean, failure is how (I at least) learn to wick. I'm sure there may well be some catastrophically difficult to stop leaking RTAs but I don't necessarily know how to identify them and etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Or air pressure changes, seasonal temperature changes, good seals gone bad.
I've had many tanks that perspire through the o rings. It's not fully leaking, but perspiration.
For instance, I hate the Smok Baby coils because those leak. Even if you don't put it on the side, a puddle of eliquid appears a couple of hours later. And mind you, I use 70% VG and it's winter here now. What will happen in summer with 100F room temps?

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
My doggies have never leaked. Like, ever. LOL I actually find the Ares and the Siren V2 to be fairly leakproof in that order.

There is that-- factor though. I'm sure some of my early RTAs that I thought were leaking machines probably wouldn't be if I recoiled and rewicked them. I think a lot of them were "leaky" due to my inexperience.

I've also sometimes heard that JFC tanks don't leak so much, but I am also not a fan of JFC and etc. So, everything is a tradeoff.

I really think it just becomes being accustomed to tanks you like and then learning how to wick them better and better. I mean, I have sworn in the past to NEVER bring an RTA out of the house, and many of them now surf around in my purse oriented in many directions with the airflow open. Never any leaking. And, I can usually tell if I may "spring a leak" with my new wick without even filling it up.

The only exception for me has been a Siren on a few occasions having trouble forming a seal with an O-ring that's gotten stretched or otherwise problematic. The sirens (and one in particular but it's the one I use most often) is leaky, but I think it has more to do with tank/O-ring tolerances than anything else.

I really can't say there is one "super not leaky under any and all circumstances" type of RTA. I tend to find velocity style decks slightly easier to COIL, but I have a fine motor tremor. So, I'd say go for what you WANT (and start with a single coil, would be my advice) out of an RTA and unless every review says it is fiendishly complex, go for size, type (DL vs MTL) and variables that have probably been reported on to, such as flavor, airiness and etc.

If you are really worried about leaks, I'd consider starting with an RBA (although that will then involve either squonking or dripping) to hone your wicking skills, although I'm in some ways glad I started with TANKS, I mean, failure is how (I at least) learn to wick. I'm sure there may well be some catastrophically difficult to stop leaking RTAs but I don't necessarily know how to identify them and etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

:) truth is, I have too many tanks. I decided to keep 3 single coils, 3 double coils, 3 drippers, the billet box (on its way) and two subohm tanks. And I'm having a hard time, because although I have attys I love I don't use them because they're fiddly, not necessarily difficult. And some that are difficult, I'm keeping because I just love the vape. Try weeding out 9 out of 45. :)

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Believe it or not, my Smok TFV8-X's are very leak resistant. Even the "styled" versions are great, as long as you use the authentic coils or rba.

I currently have 1 authentic X and 3 clones. Wife does also. I use the rba in mine, wife uses coils, no leaks for either of us.

I finally got the wife to use an rta so I gave her an OBS Nano and she is loving it!

Now, if I can keep my Zeus Rta's out of her line of sight......

Last month we ditched every tank that was not the TFV8-X, Zeus Rta and OBS Nano due to leaking.

There are a few already mentioned in this thread that are on my wish list. Getting there, but getting there without leaks!
645cd74c1dd5f5fcdae984544ad88d71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Forgot about the X! Not many people know it's top air. Thanks for the reminder!!!

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Themis or Zeus? I'm deciding which has the best flavor.

I have Themis mesh and Zeus dual with a large single staggered fused clapton.
Set up like this I'd say I get better flavor from the Zeus.

I've had many tanks that perspire through the o rings. It's not fully leaking, but perspiration.
For instance, I hate the Smok Baby coils because those leak. Even if you don't put it on the side, a puddle of eliquid appears a couple of hours later. And mind you, I use 70% VG and it's winter here now. What will happen in summer with 100F room temps?

I call it seepage around the 510 when I put a Themis back together but perspiration is more like it, just a few tiny dots of liquid where it meets the mod. If I take it off the mod to see them they don't return until the next time I take it apart.

My TFV4s are definitely seasonal. A build that has been doing perfect can suddenly dump when it goes from Winter to Summer.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio

I can get away with 70% vg in all but the Fanciers. Those gotta have max. If I’m going to be out all day, I’ll put max in any of my RTAs, because I’ll be inside and cool, outside and Hot, mod getting knocked over and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread