Leaky mods!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbash99

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2015
Illinois
Oh I've got quite a few.....lol I've got a Fire Luke, outs not that bad. But the ones that are the worst are smoke actually, and crown 3, I have a few different smoks and they all seem to leak. I have a vape bag that I carry around with me. I turn all of them off, shut the base thing completely, and ALWAYS I open up and there is juice all over everything!!!!! I change coils regularly, I'm not sure what im doing wrong.
Another thing is, it seems like my coils are not lasting very long, I have a lot of mods so I don't use one tons, I try to balance out, but seems like they always taste like ....!!

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

jbash99

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2015
Illinois
Here are a few

Attachments

• 20180626_235340.jpg
    20180626_235340.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • 20180626_235301.jpg
    20180626_235301.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 20180626_235230.jpg
    20180626_235230.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: stols001

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I have intermittently had the problem with leaking but pretty much have it under control. Here are the things I have found that cause my tanks to leak
-- for an rba if there is not enough or too much wicking - has to be just right.
-- not closing airflow before filling/refilling tank. I have learned this and now close any airflows before filling. I use top filling tanks. The airflows on mine are mostly on the bottom but I have one tank with airflow on top and bottom.
-- In addition to closing airflow before refilling --if there is a control for juice flow I close that as well.
--- I also wait a few minutes (3 to 5 minutes) after I have refilled it before I open the airflow and juice holes.
-- Sometimes if I chain vape or pull real hard I have noticed leaks

That is what I have noticed and done to control leaking. Hope it helps.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Most of my Smok tanks leak except the X-baby. I use a falcon, a couple kanger top tank minis (which leak), rtas and a couple rbas now. The Smoks are on the shelf.
I mainly use the top tank minis and mine do not leak any more. I use the rba on it and have finally got my wicking down and close the airflow before refilling. I was not wicking correctly - either too much or too little. I've improved a lot and the leaking stopped for me. Thank God because it was irritating.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Leaky drop in tanks are usually caused by either the coil not seated properly and/or some sort of tolerance issue with the 0-rings and how the glass is seated. Smok coils are of intermittent quality so it could be your coils, I guess. Closing off airholes when filling, as well as closing them off they are going to float around in a satchel or something can help. I would check out some youtube videos on your device as well as break down the tanks to check if there are any missing or poorly seated or degraded 0-rings anywhere (usually you can find an assembly diagram if you aren't sure.

To be honest, my drop ins never seem to leak and certainly not in the kind of catastrophic fashion you describe. I don't usually have leaks and if I do, it's going to be on a rebuildable tank atomizer. The Crown shouldn't be leaky.

You don't want to fill the tank 100%. For one, it won't vape very well because there will be no air bubble at the top, and also, yeah, the more you "force" liquid into a tank well the more likely you are to exceed the tank's "tolerance" because it's really not designed to be filled so full, the liquid is squeezing harder on the tank, causing leaks. So if you are, stop doing that.

Best of luck I don't know exactly what's going on but those are the things I do know. Etc.

Anna

RumbleFish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
L.A.
I have both the SMOK TFV12 Prince & baby Prince (it uses the T8 coils).

Some possible reasons & solutions for leaking...

1) you're over tightening the coil when putting it in. You want it to be snug but, don't go all 'Hulk' on it.

2) During the priming process, you'll get some juice leaking from the bottom of the coil into the air chamber. Take a paper towel and wrap around the air inlet, with the air flow wide open. Hold the PT firmly but, allow air to still flow. Now, blow a few puffs of air directly into the drip tip, you should see some juice on the PT. Alternatively, you can hold a PT on one side of the air inlet and blow through the other side to achieve the same result.

4) is the coil in straight? It's pretty easy for these to not screw in straight. This will definitely cause leaking.

3) Some (I only had one so far) Prince coils had excess coil wire sticking out of the rubber grommet on the bottom of the coil, you can tuck it in using a very small flat head screw driver (There are Youtube vids & Reddit posts addressing this I believe)

4) bad/defective O-rings...you can try replacing them using the extras that comes with the kits.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Blkwdw86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2013
Gladewater, TX
Don't discount thermal expansion. Sittiing in cool temps and then moving out into the heat, or heating it up from vigorous vaping, the juice will expand as it warms through any and every orifice it is up against. This has affected every tank I've ever owned, regardless of type. Not really much to be done about it besides being mindful of and controlling the temps your vape is at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread