LED Angel Eye Fire Button Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickreese90

Apr 28, 2015
Kannapolis, NC
Hi there ECF users, I am currently pulling my equipment together for a DNA30 build, as I have a Kanger SubTank Plus (the 7ml one), and I have a Red Angel Eye LED Fire button, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to set it up to only come on when I hit the button, a lot like the eGo pens do. If need be, and I was thinking it may be a good idea, I can put in a small switch or ON/OFF button as a kill switch because it kinda worries me that it's never really turned off unless the batteries die fully (a lot like an iPhone when you hit the Standby button). Any help with this would be awesome as I am a definite n00b in electronics. I had read on another post before the website reform that I could use two resistors, and a 10k switch to do it, but when the website was redone last week, I lost that page :-( . So anyways glad to be here as I am ready for my DNA30 to be done. I've already cut the holes in my Hammonds box and started putting my first coat of paint on. I'll add pics when completed.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
usually, lit switches have 3 "posts" on them, 2 are for the power to flow thru and the third for the led. The thing you have to watch for is the resistor needed to limit current to the led... you need to know what current the led draws to determine the resistor..
in most cases the + of the led is prewired in the switch so the 3rd post gets the resistor which goes to negative supply...

there are so many variations to choose from... some even are setup for Normally open and normally closed, and of course there are the ones with the resistor built in and made for a specific voltage usage ( these have both + and - posts for the led and 3 more for switching)

I would suggesting a search on the net and locate the one you have... pleanty of info out there :)

Last edited:

nickreese90

Apr 28, 2015
Kannapolis, NC
usually, lit switches have 3 "posts" on them, 2 are for the power to flow thru and the third for the led. The thing you have to watch for is the resistor needed to limit current to the led... you need to know what current the led draws to determine the resistor..
in most cases the + of the led is prewired in the switch so the 3rd post gets the resistor which goes to negative supply...

there are so many variations to choose from... some even are setup for Normally open and normally closed, and of course there are the ones with the resistor built in and made for a specific voltage usage ( these have both + and - posts for the led and 3 more for switching)

I would suggesting a search on the net and locate the one you have... pleanty of info out there :)
Here is the one I have. It actually has 4 posts and it's just a push for on let go for off not a click to hold. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291294500825

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
well... the bad new is that switch is setup to take 12V input for the LED -- so the internal resistor is much bigger than what you would use for a 4volt input...

Led Voltage: 12V only(Red Angel Eye LED)

the good news is with an ohm meter its easy to figgure out the pinout
the outer two are likely the switch itself test this by hooking up your probes and pressing the button -- the circuit should open and close...
the inner posts are likely the LED
The LED will show open in one direction and will show a resistance in the other direction -- make note which is ground so you know how to hook it up.
then attach the led to a battery with the polarity correct and see if its bright enough...
but it will likely be pretty dim. -- if you decide its good enough you can wire the + side to the + side of your 510 and the other side to any ground connection and it will only light up when its firing (and not drain your battery constantly while its waiting to be used)

if you're lucky you might see some stuff like this on the back

s1 ___/ ___s2 (would mean switch connections)
d1-----I>-----d2 (would mean LED + and - respectively)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread