Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
I have a 12mm button switch with 4 leads- two for the switch and two for the LED light. How can I wire this so that it lights only when the button is pressed? -It is being put into a "Arlo" box mod with a Vamo PCB. {This is a variation of one of Mamu's designs.} The function of the switch is to fire the atomizer. It would be a nice touch if it lit when I pressed it!

12mm LED button switch.jpg

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
Is if momentary led just wire it directly from battery with a resistor and ground.

If not a momentary led you would have to crack open the switch and make it into a momentary switch when button is pressed.

There is probably another way to do it with but thats what I would do.

It is not a momentary LED. -It illuminates when current goes through regardless of switch position. That is what makes this confusing. If I wire it directly to battery, it stays on continuous. Do I need a transistor that senses current from the output to the atty to tell the light to turn on? A MOSFET perhaps? -I am not too adept with electronics! If so, can anyone recommend a transistor that would work with the 15W power of a Vamo? :blink:

Last edited:

Vapant

Apr 21, 2012
Cumbria UK
I used a PN2222A transistor with a 10k resistor as a switch and a 1/4watt 100ohm resistor for the LED (as it had a forward voltage of 2v and 50ma) You'll have to find out the specs of your LED to calculate the resistor.
It has been working great for over a year so far...

The 100ohm pot is set at 50ohm (I thought I might have wanted to change the brightness)
20130515_1148550_zps99edfea8.jpg

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
YAY! I found both the transistor and the 10K resistor on ebay. I already have the correct 500 ohm resistor for the LED. Thanks again! :)

Thanks for asking, I learned something -- love learning shiz I probably would have destroyed the switch before asking or kept trying and breaking more switches.:laugh:

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
Nice looking mod too :)
What is the bottom switch for? Is it a latching on/off or the original fire switch?

-The black button on the bottom is for the function of the box's original purpose- it is a rechargeable "power bank" for charging cell phones and other devices. Here is the thread regarding this build for the DNA version: {mine is a one-off Vamo version}

Username Mamu is the creative genius that built this first. More pics of my build are included. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/538730-arlo-dual-18650-dna20-30-step-step-how.html

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I need electro-...... speak for this.

I too am interested in this kind of setup, but can't quite figure it out in my head. I am using the SX350 chip. There is a pos/neg lead from the chip that goes to the pos/neg terminal on the switch.

From here I'm not sure what to connect and how besides running the neg wire from the chip to the negative terminal, and positive wire to the positive terminal. The drawings don't help much because I was never taught to read them.

Can someone explain in electro-...... speak or show how this is wired, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The diagram is shown thusly, but I have no idea what it means. The site also states "The switches LED is 2v and 50ma so to avoid blowing the LED use a resistor in series with the LED somewhere around 100ohms at 4.0-4.2v or 300ohms at 8.0-8.4v."

12mm-illuminated-switch-500x500.jpg

I'll admit that I have no clue what I'm doing with this, but, dammit, I'm determined to get an SX350 together!

Last edited:

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus

I too am interested in this kind of setup, but can't quite figure it out in my head. I am using the SX350 chip. There is a pos/neg lead from the chip that goes to the pos/neg terminal on the switch.

From here I'm not sure what to connect and how besides running the neg wire from the chip to the negative terminal, and positive wire to the positive terminal. The drawings don't help much because I was never taught to read them.

Can someone explain in electro-...... speak or show how this is wired, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The diagram is shown thusly, but I have no idea what it means. The site also states "The switches LED is 2v and 50ma so to avoid blowing the LED use a resistor in series with the LED somewhere around 100ohms at 4.0-4.2v or 300ohms at 8.0-8.4v."

I'll admit that I have no clue what I'm doing with this, but, dammit, I'm determined to get an SX350 together!

That switch needs to be wired exactly like the diagram on page 1 of this thread. Same as what I did. with a 3.7V batt, a 100 ohm resistor will work fine to limit the voltage to the LED. Works for me! -The "+" and "-" leads go to the LED light and the other two are for firing the atomizer. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

DrBeaker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
Lab City USA
www.mothersmilkwta.com
I did a complete write up on how to wire up this switch for the sx-350 with close up pics in the suppliers forum. Its not hard you only need a 47 ohm resistor and a meter to find the ground of the switch leads on the sx-350. I guess I should have made a blog out of it.

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread