• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Lets Start Some Maine Vaping Groups!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, My names Chris and I'm from Westbrook.

For to long now, I have been hearing about all kinds of cool ideas, such as vape lounges, meet and greets, and vaping groups/clubs, but I haven't been able to find anything of the sort here in Maine! It is past time for us mainers to create a vape friendly community here in our own state!

Unfortunately, I have noticed that many of the ECF members from Maine are scattered all through the state, some people 3+ hours away from the Portland area, so it would be almost impossible to create any group or regularly held meet that could include everyone of us on here, although I do want to clarify that everyone is welcome, including far away members if they don't mind the commute. Now, if someone up north would prefer to start A separate group, I am more than willing to pool resources/ideas/ect with anyone else who wants to try to get something of their own going. Who knows, this might just lead to great things in the future. Picture it now, a few years down the road, a yearly Maine State Vapefest? lol

I am from Westbrook, right outside of Portland, and unless I am mistaking, us vapers don't have any groups, or meets, lounges, or anything of the sort for the Portland Area as of right now, and if I'm wrong, please correct me if I am, because I would love to get involved it if it already exists lol. If there Isn't, then I would like to change that!

Okay, so here are my thoughts, nothing happens on its own, so I think we should try to get something started, even if its just a few of us at first, with the growth of e cig industry, I'm sure things will get rollin :).

I feel like many of us would like to see the same things happen, such as lounges and stores with better selections, and businesses that are vapor friendly, ect. As a business student, I understand business basics, and if I saw that groups of vapers were popin up everywhere, I would see that there is a demand for such products/services and I would be more incline to have a better selection, or promote vaping, or open a store or lounge, ect.

So, if anyone else is interested, I would like to at least try to get a group going, and start planning out basics, maybe a webpage or a a Facebook, reach out to any business that have ties to vaping, and just kinda let um know who we are, and maybe inquire as to what they offer and if they are open to any suggestions as far as products they carry ect. It would be nice and simple, and get a line of communication open. once we have a few of us, start by finding a vape friendly place, like a bar or restaurant where we can hang out, chat, and vape, and start with just meeting each other and introductions and kinda just hang, trade tips, knowledge, teach each other, and basically just talk about vaping and compare vaping note :).

Again, my whole train of though is that, most of the time things don't just happen, you gotta do something, and I for one would really like to see things like vapor lounges in Maine. It would be great to hang out with other vapers, in person. no offense to ECF, so far, I'm loving this place, but its the internet, so there are always limitations.

I know of a couple of businesses that might be interested in what were doing because they might see how it could help benefit them. I know Westbrook Market sells a small selection of e cigs, and where as they are a small, company (just 1 store), they are more likely to respond to feedback. I also have a good relationship with the owners since I've been a customer there for years. When I go there, I get the "NORM!" from cheers feeling lol.

Also, I know Northern Lights Smokes Shop has begun to carry a small selection of vaping equipment and accessories. they are actually, they only place I know of around here that carries e liquid, although they have a small selection. Another plus here is they are a small company (again 1 store), and I know the management their, and I know if they saw a business potential, they would consider at least hearing our suggestions. and it would be nice to have GOOD supplies locally available just incase something happens that leaves you stranded with no liquid, cartos/clearos/tanks, or liquid, ect.

I also have a potential place to meet that would possibly allow us to vape while there, but i will have to look into it more, so if anyone has alternatives, please mention them incase.

So, one thing I would like to ask, does anyone know of any vapor friendly businesses in the Portland area that would at least consider letting us hangout and vape for a bit? and even if they wouldn't let us meet, let me know of any vape related business or vape friendly place around here. It would be great to at least get a list of um going anyways :).

anyways, I hope to hear from some of ya, it would be great to meet other vapers face to face, plus I'm sure there are some places of interest around that I don't know about that one of you do, and vice versa. So if you really are interested in either at least joining, or possibly helping me set this thing up, please reply here, message me, or preferably, email me at CMancini04092@gmail.com because that is sent directly to my cell phone via an email app, so ill get it quickly.

Happy vaping my fellow maniacs!

Last edited:
I am happy to say that I have found a supplier located in Maine! I haven't got all the information yet, but I have reached out to the owner. He seems like a really nice guy. I wrote him a message online telling him all the ideas I have, and he seems extremely interested. He gave me his cell number, and I will be speaking with him tomorrow at some point, so I will have more information after the talk and will give an update after the talk.

The supplier is "The Maine Vape". their Facebook is https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Maine-Vape/545928802104995 . Their website is found at http://the-maine-vape.myshopify.com/

One thing I already know is that other than selling products, you can also make an appointment with them, and they will provide you with advice, consultation, set up, and answer any questions you may have. For brand new Vapers, they will help you find the best options/set ups based on your needs, and they offer to help you navigated vaping.

Also, I have created a Facebook page! I Haven't had a chance to do much with it thus far, but you can find it by going to https://www.facebook.com/pages/Portland-Vapers-Club/567026060012163?ref=profile

I plan to sit down and finish the page over the weekend. If for some reason, the above link dose not work for you, you should be able to find it by searching "Portland Vapers Club" on Facebook.

Also, I would eventually like to create a website, although that is probably a couple weeks down the road, but if anyone knows of any free and easy to use web hosting or web site creators, please let me know.

Last edited:

VaperInMaine

Verified Member
I am certainly on board. It would be good to meet up with some local vapers. Not only would I like to see local stores selling a decent selection of hardware, and some decent juice... A vape lounge would be nice. Nothing against Northern Lights, but I would like to see a "Vape Shop" open up locally, not just the local "smoke" shops selling vaping gear. I think that vaping needs more positive exposure in Maine, not just the "Is it safe for you" type stories that we see every now and then in the media. I have an EGO battery, and a Smoketek RDA, that I was using at a stop light. I looked over at the car next to me, to see a guy giving me the thumbs up, and a knowing look. I'm pretty sure he expected that he clouds of vapor were something else.

In any case, I'm in on your cause. Let me know if I can do anything at all to help. I probably have as much free time as you, but am willing to do all that I can.

Glad to have you on board :). I agree that it would be nice to meet some other vapors face to face instead of through a computer screen. I can't wait to have our first meet! And I couldn't agree more about seeing some local vape shops and lounges. It is nice to be able to go into places like northern lights and buy some products, like e liquid, right then and there, but I can almost guarantee that no one at northern lights would be able to answer many of the questions vapers would want to ask! Stores that focus on nothing but vaping products are most likely going to be owned and run by vapers, who would more than likely be able to answer questions you might have.

I believe that if we can show the world that there is a demand for such business, that people with good business sense will rise to meet the demand, but if there appears to be no demand, then no one will provide a local supply to meet the demand. It is awesome that you actually got a thumbs up, I just get the confused blank stare most of the time when people see me vaping.

I have slowly been noticing more awareness, curiosity and even approval for vaping, my work being a great example. I work in the warehouse at Nappi Distributor's out in Gorham, and they let me vape in the warehouse while I'm working. It actually benefits the company, because I can vape while working, instead of having to go outside to smoke an analog, which makes me more productive.

This also lets me generate interest from my co workers to vaping when they see me vaping, and it provides me a chance to talk about vaping, which I enjoy, although I would much rather talk with other vapers. one thing I am proud of is that I have one co worker who is now planning to make the switch, and at least two others who are now at least considering it as an option :).

Anyways, back down to business! As I have been mentioning, I have many things I plan to do, and many more possible ideas floating around in my head, and I'm sure you and the other couple of people now involved in this project have some ideas of your own, which I would always love to at least hear :).

I'm going to start by saying I am extremely grateful for your willingness to lend a hand. Just the thought of doing all the work to accomplish the goals I have by myself was a bit overwhelming at times, although I came into this 100% determined to get this going alone if I had too, I really appreciate the help.

My immediate goals are fortunately very simple, because the other goals depend on these ones first lol. So, I have been calling this group by a couple different names so far since I haven't been able to bring my to commit to one just yet, so if you have any ideas on what to call our group, please let me know. I have been wanting to get away from using Portland though, I would rather use Maine, or even southern Maine, or Downeast, or vacation land, or anything that would include a larger area.

also, the biggest thing right now would be to make other Maine vapers and aware of our group, so they can join if they would like too. this seems like it is going to be the hardest and most time consuming goal for the present. I would like to ask all members to like the Facebook page if possible, so keeping track of everyone and making sure everyone has up to date information. For people who can not do this, I ask they let me know so I can make sure to accommodate this.

I would also like to get a list going of all the local business that have a tie/connection to vaping in some way, excluding stores like Wal-Mart, rite-aid, Cumberland Farms, or other large corporations that only carry disposables, and poor quality/over priced PVs kits, carts, ect. I plan to use this information to further our cause, but I am also going to make this list available on FB and eventually on a web page. I would like to pay extra attention to finding vaping friendly bars, restaurants, halls, hotels, and other such business that I could try to persuade to host our events.

I also plan to eventually provide guides/instructions catered mostly towards members new to vaping. This project is not a priority at this time, but if any members have a certain subject(s), such as direct dripping, that they consider themselves to be an expert in, and would like to add their knowledge and help make the guide, please let me know, and I will come find you when guide material becomes a priority.

I would never force any member to do anything, but I do expect anyone who wants to be a part of this group to like our Facebook page. I highly recommend and would greatly appreciate every current member to inform as many vapers in Maine as possible.

VaperInMaine

Verified Member
I think that setting up an informal gathering very soon would be a great idea. The sooner the better. Meeting face to face, and bouncing ideas off each other may help get the ball rolling sooner. All we need is a vape friendly place to meet for the initial gathering. Preferably in the greater Portland area. One idea I have would be to form a club with some sort of dues. Proceeds can go to things like paying for venues, refreshments, etc... Maybe even adds in local media advertising for new members. Dues can even be optional, as mandatory dues may turn people off.

Thoughts.... Comments...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk now Free

Hi Sonic

Its nice to meet cha. and welcome you to the Maine Vaping Club! Sounds like an interesting field of work, must be a fun experience to travel so much. thanks for the like, hopefully we will be seeing many many more in the near future. I can't wait to see this club grow so we can start doing meets, events, and some of the other ideas I have going.

And VaperInMainem I think the informal meet would be awesome, just to get the ball rolling, and like you sound, bounce around some ideas. I have a lot of ideas floating around in my head, and would love feedback on them, and to hear other peoples ideas. I will start on trying to find a time and place, since we only have a few of us as of right now, it shouldn't be to hard.

I haven't accomplished as much as I would have liked since we first spoke, I work mon-fri, and have also been fighting off a nasty cold or something like that. this has left me spending most of my time the past few days either working or sleeping. on the bright side, I should be able to accomplish a lot over the weekend, and hopefully I will be feeling much better by Monday, so I can accomplish more this coming week.

I am open to the idea of accepting money to help[ fund our group, and I agree that mandatory dues are a bad idea and a turn off, so I think donations would be the way to go. or we could offer a gold membership for a certain fee, and the gold membership would offer some sort of benefit. Also, I have already contacted a couple of businesses, and will be contacting more soon, and we could offer event sponsorship to businesses, which would provide them advertising in exchange for help. I have other possible ideas roo, such as raffles, sponsored contests, ect.

again, I am sorry I haven't been active as far as posts/messages, bur I have been somewhat busy behind the scene, despite being sick lol. anyway, I think the most important step at this time would be to gather new members, so I ask all interested people to please tell your friends, family, co workers, acquaintances, ect. even if they don't vape themselves, I know many people who support vaping because rhey are close to someone who vapes.

Anyways, I will try to post more often, but rest assured, even if I am not posting,i am still working behind the scenes

The optional gold membership is kind of a neat idea. If we could get businesses interested, we might be able to work out a standing 10% discount or something to everyone who is a member as an incentive? If we can get enough people, it would also help to show that there is enough interest for stores to start carrying more products. Just spitballing some ideas.

I should be back in Maine for about 3 weeks in December if we want to try to meet up, might be able to get some more people by then too.

I think that would be a great idea to incorporate vendors or other businesses, I have already started to speak with some businesses, although, like I said his cold put me behind, luckily I am starting to feel better. I am trying to think of other ways to provide benefits to people who donate. I have started a forum for the maine vaping club, although it is not even close to ready, but I have already created a special rank for such members. I also would like to get a chatroom set up, although these aren't going to happen overnight, so I hope people will be patient. I like seeing that we have similar ideas, it is showing me that I am on the right path.

I have spoke with management at a local head shop that caries smart smokes liquid and kits, and they are open to caring different products if there is a customer base for it, as well as speaking with a couple other businesses.

and I am hoping to have a good member base by then, and it would be awesome to meet up when you come back, and any member you can find would be awesome. I have been promoting the facebook page to personal friends as much as I can, but I believe its gonna be a slow start, Sonic, if you have facebook, please like the page, it helps me keep track of interested people more efficiently, especially since FB is my main page atm until I can set up an actual web page:).

I've already liked your page on Facebook, and I'm gonna try talking to some people to see if I can get them interested in it. i don't know any other vapers from home, but I know some smokers, so maybe I can convert some of them :) I live in the midcoast/knox county area by the way, so it isn't too much for me to get to portland or bangor or wherever really.

Hey Mainers :)

I want everyone to know that I have started a new, official Maine Vaping club thread and will ask for this one to be closed, as I will be using that thread instead, now that some of the groundwork has been put down. The new thread is http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/maine-state-vapors/483186-maine-vaping-club.html#post11067198 or if you want to find it in a search it is title "The Maine Vaping Club!!"

Welcome Harlen, its a pleasure to meet you, I am glad to hear we have another member :). I have started a group on ECF, and if you have facebook please like our page. it is very helpful to have you guys like the FB page, as this makes it easier for me to keep track of everyone and make sure no one misses any important info :).

Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maine...67026060012163
ECF Group http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...ping-club.html (don't mind the difference in name, I originally named this group the Portland Vaping club, but I decided that name might exclude mainers not close to Portland, and might also get confused with Portland Oregon. I am currently waiting on a response about an admin changing the name for me :).

Sonic I appreciate the help, it would be good to see some more people who have put down or at least are starting to put down the analogs, and it would be nice to have some new members too lol. I am in Westbrook myself, and I have been noticing our group is very diverse as far as location lol.

I'm not sure how the meets are going to work out as of yet, it will depend on where is available, but I am striving to find places that are a reasonable distance for everyone. We have members in Biddeford, and members in Bangor, not exactly close to each other, so It would seem a little unfair to always hold meets in Biddeford for example. I guess my plan is going to be to try and pick areas sort of In the middle, with access to I-95 or I-295.

My other idea would be to alternate meet locations, that way the same members aren't always traveling an hour or for some even 2 or 3 hours for every meet. Although, it seems like slim pickings for meet locations, so it might be based solely on who will have us, at least in the beginning.

I am thinking of a few possibilities of accepting donations and/or offering a sort of advertisement for vaping businesses at our meets, so we can have some sort of funding to pay places for time/space, or other such services that would make the experience better for us all. but now I am getting ahead of myself now, this is a conversation for another day, but I have good plans for the clubs future :).

Hi Zzooti, its a pleasure to meet you and welcome to club as well. I am always happy to see new members. It's been my pleasure to get this started, and I would like to thank you and other members who have been on the forum for awhile for talking about vape meets. Without seeing some of these posts, such as some of yours I saw, I probably wouldn't have done this, but when I saw I wasn't the only one interested in meeting other vapers in person, I decided I was gonna try to get it going. It would be pointless for me to do this if I was the only one, so I am thankful for all of our members :).

I am excited for the first meet too, although it has been hard to make progress as far as making this first one happen. I haven't found very many vaper friendly places, with space enough to host us, and the ones I have found don't seem interested in doing it for free since this doesn't benefit them in any way. The Club has virtually no budget at the moment, other than the small cash I could spare myself if absolutely needed, but I am trying to avoid that.

I am hoping that I or someone else finds a place friendly to our cause that would do it free or for cheap, and I have been asking all members to keep an eye out and throw any suggestions they have my way. I would really like to make the first meet happen before the snow comes, since we all know how bad some of the storms up here can be, and how snow can be problematic to scheduled events lol.

I am glad to see you have already got into the facebook page, and I would like to let you know about the ECF Group as well.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...ping-club.html . it currently says the Portland Vaping Club, since that is the original name I choose, but I am waiting for an ECF admin to read my private message and change the name for me :).

I am also happy to announce that I have been building a forum for the club in my free time, and it should be ready soon! I will post the info once it is finished and ready for use. Then it is on to a website, and possibly a chatroom. and I would like to thank VaperInMaine for his help in this area. He has offered to help me in this area, and even offered to help with hosting for some of this stuff, which is extremely helpful since I don't know a lot when it comes to registering domain names, chat rooms, hosting services, ect.

Thanks again everyone! I cant wait for the first vape meet!

Vaping in the state of Maine, the way life should be! Keep vaping Mainers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread