Let's talk about RY4, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
Hey, guys...I know some of you have been around for a couple of years, and have seen juices come and go. Tony's done a bang-up job of bringing us his personal opinion of the best juices MV can pair up with the "best" PVs on the market.

That being said, I have a little conundrum to sort out. Back in Jan '10, a good friend and I both bought kits from MV. We also both bought juices/pre-fillled carts, and accessories. While I leaned towards menthols and real "smoke" flavors, he went caramel/espresso and RY4. Well, I ended up inheriting my buddy's kits, along with a bottle of "original" Dekang RY4 (Tony, feel free to correct me that's what it was back then) that steeped for about 6 months before I got my hands on it. YUMMY!

So, imagine my shock and disbelief when I ordered more MV RY4 in Nov '10, only to find that not only had the flavor changed drastically, it was nearly unvapable. I still have it, steeped about 8 months, still sucks balls. So, I recently grabbed some BWB RY4 (yeah, I got lucky). It's good on the Lux carto (non-XL or dual-coil), but it doesn't have the "wow-factor" that the original Dekang RY4 had. I know, blasphemy for not saying BWB is the best thing I've ever vaped, but we all have our prefs...

So, I've been reading in the e-liquids forum that a high-level employee left Dekang around the same time I bought, taking the RY4 formula with him, and the company had to scramble to put something together, to many boos from the US and probably China as well. They've supposedly been tweaking it since, but I'm so gunshy over buying any more RY4 until I can be assured that I'll get "that old thang back". BWB is the first RY4 I've bought since that last MV bottle.

So, to wrap this up: Has Dekang managed to restore something close to their original Ry4, or has it been lost forever, to be replaced with reasonable facsimiles and artisan interpretations? Anybody know of one that is "CLOSE" to the old formula, and does MV now have something that can rival it?

(We all know we'd rather buy from MV than anyone else...at least I would #loyaltotheend)

Last edited:

birdbrains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2011
New York, NY

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
Quite a bit of discussion on this topic here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-liquids/193327-really-big-ry4-roundup-long.html

I think the general gist is that no, no one has absolutely recreated the original formula (although the dekang RY4 people think of as the "original formula" may not actually be the original) but there are several vendors claiming that theirs are the original formula or close approximations.

Yeah, that was the thread that led me to the BWB in the first place. I opened the topic here for a couple of reasons: Tony's our fearless leader, and I personally owe him a debt of gratitude, starting with positive, constructive feedback.

While it's true the "original" may not be the first iteration, it was arguably the "best". That's what I'm on the hunt for.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Funny that you said you got lucky with BWB. Its hard to get stuff consistently from them. He's a great guy but I can't guarantee he'll be in stock with anything. It my be blasphemy but I know what you mean. I never had a wow factor with any of his stuff YET I like all of his stuff which is unheard of for me. I think I never had the wow factor because I require more throat hit than any of his stuff has. That being said, I'm mainly a Halo man now which I can get from MV. I'm not sure I can help you with your question, but I will say I like the RY4 from myfreedomsmokes.com - the original, not freedomsmokesusa.com. Although its not quite the same, I think I prefer MV's USA MIX from the PG section.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
I think I know what you mean about some Halo. Its really weird but I dislike most Halo. There are two flavors that I like, and another two are my daily vapes - all the rest I don't like at all. Out of the four I like, three of them are brand new flavors from them.

BWB I like just about every one, yet none have the wow factor that would make it a daily vape.

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
My BWB (which hasn't steeped yet, mind you) is pretty decent. Very light on TH, though the VG in it gives me coughing fits sometimes - some onlookers have thought I was smoking something else...lots of vapor, but the taste is *mostly* tobacco with slight hints of caramel, not getting much vanilla.

I'm going to give IKV and Janty Classic a try to see if they're any closer. Man, I wish I had treated that old Dekang bottle like it was $1000 wine. LOL

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
I think that's why I prefer PG. I prefer throat hit. Too much VG gets rid of that but does add some great vapor. So for me, if I had a choice, I'd go for PG with just a touch of VG, say 10%. MV's own USA juice is PG/VG. I think it originally as 70/30. At one point I think Tony said he was going to tweak the VG down but I honestly don't know if that happened. I can say that I don't seem to see 70/30 listed on the MV site anymore, so who knows. If fact, I need to try more of his USA stuff. Maybe I'll start a thread of people's opinions on his USA stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread