Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
heya,

So For the first time I bought some stronger 36mg/ml nic base from a guy that makes his bases on his own, I bought it because in European vape stores the TPD rules of max 20mg/ml apply and needed something stronger.

The main difference I see in his base that its very lightly orange, something I have never seen when buying from the vapestore. He says its because its freshly mixed amd therefor has this color but it will fade while steeping.

Is this normal that it can be light orange?

Thanks!

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I wouldn't trust it
WOOoNMR.gif

• Agree
Reactions: Vapedog

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
heya,

So For the first time I bought some stronger 36mg/ml nic base from a guy that makes his bases on his own, I bought it because in European vape stores the TPD rules of max 20mg/ml apply and needed something stronger.

The main difference I see in his base that its very lightly orange, something I have never seen when buying from the vapestore. He says its because its freshly mixed amd therefor has this color but it will fade while steeping.

Is this normal that it can be light orange?

Thanks!
How does it smell?
Perhaps mix up a small 5ml or 10ml batch of unflavored at your normal nicotine level and give it a try.

Store the nicotine in a cool, dark location. Label it conspicuously to avoid accidents or confusion.

Cheers
I
ETA:
I have NEVER had nicotine base get more clear nor less yellow with age. :2c:

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I just bought a batch of 100mg half VG half PG salt nic that has an orange color. It seems to be that way intentionally. No odor, no taste.

Edit: I asked the supplier about it and he explained that it's normal for salt nic to have a darker color depending on how it was made, and that I can expect it to be more shelf stable and less prone to oxidization than freebase.
He also explained that freebase nic should be colorless and that it's ridiculous to expect the color to improve with time.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Do you know and trust this person you bought it from?

I’ve never had nic get lighter over time. Darker, yes. So right there that makes me not trust him. I dislike liars.

But if that’s all it is, that the nic is old, it’s not going to hurt you, I wouldn’t think. I vape old juice often. Aside from the flavors going all wonky there’s nothing wrong with it.

But if there’s a chance something else is going on, it’s not worth the risk.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I'd have to second what Delores said.... mine usually comes in clear and stays clear. I keep my nicotine in a fridge that is just above freezing. My batch is over a year old (yes, I know, old nic), and it's still clear color like when I got it. Juices mixed, however, do turn darker over time... I have never had a juice get lighter over time.

Now, I don't use Nic salts, I just use a regular 100mg/ml base with PG. Others note my nicotine has a slight peppery taste, probably due to it's age.

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Did you get regular (freebase) nicotine, or nicotine salt? Nic salts are more prone to color presence, than freebase (due to chemical interactions). If it is indeed freebase, then it is not "freshly" mixed (unless it was intentionally oxidized)... or, it was extremely poorly handled. Or, it may be "freshly mixed" using OLD and or poorly stored, nicotine.

Old nicotine is not any more harmful than fresh, though it may lose some of its original potency, and can take on a more distinct/identifiable taste of its own. I, like the others, have only had nicotine take on more color as it ages... I've never had it become clearer.

The bigger concern I would have is: if this supplier is will to lie, or "stretch the truth" about its age... are they willing to use poor/questionable, perhaps even contaminated, ingredients?

I realize you have limited choices, given local regulations. But, you have to ask yourself if you are willing to risk your personal health and safety. That is a question only you can answer.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
How does it smell?
Perhaps mix up a small 5ml or 10ml batch of unflavored at your normal nicotine level and give it a try.

Store the nicotine in a cool, dark location. Label it conspicuously to avoid accidents or confusion.

Cheers
I
ETA:
I have NEVER had nicotine base get more clear nor less yellow with age. :2c:
it doesn't smell really badly, but it has a slight smell that reminds me a bit of tobacco.

Reactions: DeloresRose

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hi !

I think it's because it's old.
I forgot a one liter bottle somewhere here and when I found it one or two years later, it was this color.

EDIT : does it smell like the water after cooking rice ?

Regards
JJ
You could desribe it like that slightly. But old nicotine can be still vaped right?

I just put 1 ml in my atomizer and vaped it, no weird taste whatsoever but a harsh throath hit, but is normal with 36mg freebase nic, I did get a nicotine kick I haven't experienced in a while :D!

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
You could desribe it like that slightly. But old nicotine can be still vaped right?

I just put 1 ml in my atomizer and vaped it, no weird taste whatsoever but a harsh throath hit, but is normal with 36mg freebase nic, I did get a nicotine kick I haven't experienced in a while :D!

36 mg is kinda high unless you're using a small pod like system. 36mg is fine for a device like a Juul or something like that, but if you have a device 1.6 ohms or lower, 36mg is rather high. I dilute the base down to a 6mg nic Juice, then vape it in my .8 ohm atomizer at 25-30 watts. If I had your nic base, I would put 1/4th of the final solution in a bottle, then whatever amount of flavoring, then fill the rest with either PG or VG. That would make a 8mg solution which would be fine in my condition.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
But old nicotine can be still vaped right?
Assuming there are not any other contaminants already present (in which case; you have other problems), nicotine does not break down or change into anything harmful (not discounting that nicotine is harmful in and of itself). All that will happen is it will lose potency, and become more harsh, and can impart its own flavor.

One of the reasons pure freebase nicotine was used as an insecticide on food crops; was the very fact that it quickly (less than an hour?) oxidized, and became benign, with no lingering harmful components.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
My biggest concern is that you were told that the color will lighten over time, which anyone who is handling nic concentrate should know is not true. Either he is lying or ignorant. Either scenario makes me wonder how accurate the concentration % is.

I'd consider another source in the future. You may be able to get shipments from Hiliq in China in higher concentrations. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread