Light orange nic base

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
heya,

So For the first time I bought some stronger 36mg/ml nic base from a guy that makes his bases on his own, I bought it because in European vape stores the TPD rules of max 20mg/ml apply and needed something stronger.

The main difference I see in his base that its very lightly orange, something I have never seen when buying from the vapestore. He says its because its freshly mixed amd therefor has this color but it will fade while steeping.

Is this normal that it can be light orange?

Thanks!
depends i have heared of people having pinky and discoloured and its tasted ok
best thing to do is to make a 10ml unflavoured tester mate

Reactions: Electrodave

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
36 mg is kinda high unless you're using a small pod like system. 36mg is fine for a device like a Juul or something like that, but if you have a device 1.6 ohms or lower, 36mg is rather high. I dilute the base down to a 6mg nic Juice, then vape it in my .8 ohm atomizer at 25-30 watts. If I had your nic base, I would put 1/4th of the final solution in a bottle, then whatever amount of flavoring, then fill the rest with either PG or VG. That would make a 8mg solution which would be fine in my condition.
Ofcourse I dilute to 12 or 18 mg ;)

• Love
Reactions: Opinionated

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
depends i have heared of people having pinky and discoloured and its tasted ok
best thing to do is to make a 10ml unflavoured tester mate
Did vape some of it pure and it tasted like any pg vg base really, just a strong throath hit because of the high nic.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Did vape some of it pure and it tasted like any pg vg base really, just a strong throath hit because of the high nic.

I got some yellow nic base from a diff source (which I won't be using again ;)) - it vaped fine, just was harsher than my usual nic base. It's probably been too exposed to air and light. Keep it in the fridge if you want to use it.

My normal source is this colour:

nIC-IMAGE.jpg

It's hard when shipping from the states is expensive, (I live in New zealand) so I normally purchase nic base locally. But at least I can order 100mg/ml base - you have it worse over there :cry:

SP013

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 14, 2019
    Warsaw, Poland
    I got some yellow nic base from a diff source (which I won't be using again ;)) - it vaped fine, just was harsher than my usual nic base. It's probably been too exposed to air and light. Keep it in the fridge if you want to use it.

My normal source is this colour:

nIC-IMAGE.jpg

It's hard when shipping from the states is expensive, (I live in New zealand) so I normally purchase nic base locally. But at least I can order 100mg/ml base - you have it worse over there :cry:
    it is exactly that color! it actually seemed to have faded slightly now. keeping it in a dark place in the closet which should be fine for 36mg.

• Winner
    Reactions: AngeNZ

SP013

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 14, 2019
    Warsaw, Poland
    How much did you buy?

Did you just buy base or is it mixed with flavoring?
    its just base 60vg/40pg 36mg/ml free base nic. I bought 100 ML but decided to put it in smaller bottles of 50ml, this seemed to have helped it fade the color a little. Maybe the bottle it was delivered in was also not very clean and therefor had this weird color. One thing is for sure, I won't buy it anymore :) I will however try to vape it in 12 or 18mg/ml DIY juices.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I have read, but not experienced, that the change in colour is a sign of oxidization. This is not a reversable process, meaning it will only get darker, not lighter. Sign’s of oxidization is change in colour and a strong pepper smell/taste. Keep it refrigerated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    its just base 60vg/40pg 36mg/ml free base nic. I bought 100 ML but decided to put it in smaller bottles of 50ml, this seemed to have helped it fade the color a little. Maybe the bottle it was delivered in was also not very clean and therefor had this weird color. One thing is for sure, I won't buy it anymore :) I will however try to vape it in 12 or 18mg/ml DIY juices.

If changing bottles seemed to decrease the color then it very well may be the bottle itself.

Sure I don't see a problem vaping what you've got..I just wouldn't go back to him.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    There's been plenty of pics on ECF of nic base that color or darker. Much darker. If you leave a bottle in sunlight in a warm room it will turn that color in no time. The only consequences are a slight decrease in nic content and a harsher vape or peppery taste. The color of your base is exactly what it should look like if it had been stored at room temp for a while. If it was a shade other than the yellow / orange / brown spectrum I would worry more.

Since you can't buy it legally in your country I assume the person you bought it from had to obtain his concentrated nic on the black market as well. Once the law goes that way you can't expect to be able to get the nice clear stuff that's available when it's legal. We might have to face that dilemma in the US one day. There's always a little risk involved. Like if they diluted it down with VG that wasn't food grade or something.

If it was me I would look into a nic testing kit. I know you can buy them on the internet quite cheap. It won't tell you about impurities but you would know how much nic was in it. I remember reading a story on ECF years ago about a guy in Australia who bought some 10mg nic that turned out to be 100mg.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I bought 100 ML but decided to put it in smaller bottles of 50ml, this seemed to have helped it fade the color a little.
    Less volume (due to the smaller bottles) should look lighter. Less material for the light to travel through will result in lighter looking liquid. I doubt it is "getting" any lighter. That said; I agree with your idea to dilute it in your mixing, and vape it up. And then, look for another source.

I also agree with the suggestion to keep it in the refrigerator (at least the 2nd bottle). The cooler the temperature, the slower it will oxidize. The warmer the temperature, and the greater the exposure to light (ultraviolet specifically), the faster nic will degrade.

I'm glad it seems to be okay. :)

SP013

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 14, 2019
    Warsaw, Poland
    There's been plenty of pics on ECF of nic base that color or darker. Much darker. If you leave a bottle in sunlight in a warm room it will turn that color in no time. The only consequences are a slight decrease in nic content and a harsher vape or peppery taste. The color of your base is exactly what it should look like if it had been stored at room temp for a while. If it was a shade other than the yellow / orange / brown spectrum I would worry more.

Since you can't buy it legally in your country I assume the person you bought it from had to obtain his concentrated nic on the black market as well. Once the law goes that way you can't expect to be able to get the nice clear stuff that's available when it's legal. We might have to face that dilemma in the US one day. There's always a little risk involved. Like if they diluted it down with VG that wasn't food grade or something.

If it was me I would look into a nic testing kit. I know you can buy them on the internet quite cheap. It won't tell you about impurities but you would know how much nic was in it. I remember reading a story on ECF years ago about a guy in Australia who bought some 10mg nic that turned out to be 100mg.
    He gets his nic base from Hiliq, so I wouldnt say its black market, but its officially not allowed to import to Poland no :)
    Thanks a lot all for your help, as said, I will vape it and find another source! Maybe myself I will try to buy some 100mg/ml nic salt from Hiliq ;)

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    He gets his nic base from Hiliq, so I wouldnt say its black market, but its officially not allowed to import to Poland no :)
    Thanks a lot all for your help, as said, I will vape it and find another source! Maybe myself I will try to buy some 100mg/ml nic salt from Hiliq ;)

I didn't realise you could do that. I assume they must send it labelled as something other than nicotine. How secure is that process? Does it get intercepted often? Are there consequences to the buyer if it does get caught coming into the country?

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    I didn't realise you could do that. I assume they must send it labelled as something other than nicotine. How secure is that process? Does it get intercepted often? Are there consequences to the buyer if it does get caught coming into the country?
    Generally the shipper will label it as an innocuous gift. If customs opens it they see a bottle of liquid with no mention of nic. Nic doesn't have an odor and they count on customs not testing it. If customs does detect it and bothers to follow up, the receiver denies all knowledge and claims it was unsolicited. That was my experience before nic sales were legalized in Canada.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread