Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluggo

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2011
Sweden
I'd like to call myself an "experienced" vaper, but I'm certainly no expert. I've been vaping for a few years and I'm well aware of the risks with using the wrong batteries.
Now, I'm about to start building a smaller DNA30 box- mod. I've built simple 18650 mods before, but this time, I'm gonna need thinner batteries. LiPo- packs seems like the way to go, but I'm not familiar with theese batteries, so I'm not sure what brands/types to use or where to buy them?
It's important that they are quality- batteries, the safety is at the upmost importance to me.

(The size of the pack for this particular mod should be about 13mm x 25mm x 75mm (0.314 x 0.984 x 2.952 in.) or smaller)

What should I look for?
What should I stay away from?
Are there any eBay- stores or other cheap vendors that can be trusted not to sell me clones?
Other tips?

Last edited:

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
ebay has some good lipo's
alibaba
dh gate etc etc

There really aren't that many bad lipo's on the market any more, well, if your uber cheap I guess ya could find some that have been used and sell for pennies but thats just it they are really inexpensive batts from the start.
Protection can either be added by you or already built into a mod. If your building a dna mod you can add in the protection but its not needed using lipos since you wont be taking it in and out of the mod..
ZIPPY 850mAh 20C single cell
Really good reviews from other modders with this lipo cell
but it doesn't fit your specs, look around there good inexpensive lipo's

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
Nice, I've been seeing some cool ones myself at a buddies house that he uses for air soft gun/pellet guns (not really sure what the "non air" air soft guns are called) and RC cars. He kept asking why us vapers didn't use them. I understand them not being all that great or safe for unregulated, but I've been seeing some talk about them in groups for DNA and Raptor mods.

Seems like with some nice soldering and space management, you could get a really small cool regulated box mods outta them.

I'm not really sure the heat difference in these skinny shaped square style lipos compared to IMR's though.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

Sluggo

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2011
Sweden
Thanks for the answer.
I've been well trained to not buy any "random" batteries at all and to stick with well- known brands and well-tested models. -Again that's with Li-ion.
I don't really feel safe about just getting "some" LiPos from ebay/alibaba just because they fit, it doesn't feel right. I mean there must be poor-quality, unreliable lipo's too, right?

I guess I can't really understand how Lipo- packs can be "that" safe? I've always heard li-ion is the safest and most durable batteries there are for this use?

Either way, I'm going to add some kind of safety/fuse to the mod anyways (haven't gotten that far in my research yet, so I'm not sure what to get here neither though. But I'll figure that one out later on).
But I'd still like the batterytype/brand/reseller/model to be as safe as possible. Gonna make some mod's for some friends and really don't want to gamble on this one.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
It almost cancels the deal with hobby shops and the like, their shipping is :mad:

Ebay has the deals if you can find a vendor you like..

how can China ship it 1500 miles and its free lol..

Lipo's are safe as long as you dont overcharge or overdischargeand have in a proper enclosure where no metal will pierce their foil covering..

IMR batts are the safest cannot always count on protected cells either but adding layers of additional protection always good..

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
It almost cancels the deal with hobby shops and the like, their shipping is :mad:

Ebay has the deals if you can find a vendor you like..

how can China ship it 1500 miles and its free lol..

Lipo's are safe as long as you dont overcharge or overdischargeand have in a proper enclosure where no metal will pierce their foil covering..

IMR batts are the safest cannot always count on protected cells either but adding layers of additional protection always good..

The Chinese government HEAVILY subsidizes shipping. It improves their competitive edge without getting the vendors into trouble for "dumping".

I have a bunch of A123 18650 LiPo's which are amazingly resilient and reliable. (Got them from a buddy who worked for them). Problem is they don't sell to the public (and only make 26650's these days) so pretty much any of these for sale are counterfeits.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Do you think the DNA chip alone & the evolv charge port provides all the protection needed to use these batteries safely? Provided you lay the batteries into the box safe and secure.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

If built properly you will never have an issue with a dna chip. It would be your wiring that would fault against a metal enclosure or such. Adding a fuse directly off a lipo will protect ya in that instance but if you rupture the lipo's foil covering it will fault and let the magic smoke out but the dna would be fine as long as it did not get burned by the heat from the lipo but it more than likely would be. Lipo's are IMO best option when using any of our devices with proper safety measures in order, the dna has those..

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Most builders who have lipo batteries installed in them like the hana mod or the vaporshark -- they do not have fuses on their lipo's. They did just recently make 18650 models but thats for convenience of swapping batts out instead of having to usb charge.. If you put the 18650 batts in backwards in either of those devices you will fry the dna board.. With a lipo it is impossible to do that unless you do it while building it and mistake the connections..

Heres one of their disclaimers:
Notice: Putting your battery in backwards (reversing polarity) will void your warranty and severely damage your DNA30D chip.

If you want every bit of protection you can get build a Mamu mod she adds "and the kitchen sink" when it comes to protecting devices..
They are a little more complex but nothing to difficult..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread